PDA

View Full Version : Super Xtreme temps,?????Works??

charlie
12-30-2002, 06:07 PM
wHAT would you get if you set up "normal" wc system with cpu/gpu blocks, lets say Swiftech or Dangerden.
You built a closed loop system with the system lines going into a igloo cooler and ran the coolant through 50' of copper tubin coiled inside...at benching time fill the igloo with dry ice pellets and go.
Of course use tygon tubing and an appropriate pump, and methanol (or vodka ;) ) as a coolant...!!
Would condensation prob's be hellacious?? How'd it work???
With fluid at -75C what kind of chip core temps would you have??? Any ideas??
I know this'll get moved but naybe it'll get some cool answers!!!
C

Charles Wirth
12-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Antifreeze will sludge up before you reach -75 unless it is pure antifreeze.

You would need dry ice or a cryo compressor to reach -75c

If your fluid temp was -75c I would guesstimate your CPU core would be about -65c for an Intel P4 above 3Ghz

The ice pellets in a Igloo cooler would melt in about an hour if not maintained with fresh ice. depending on the humidity in your area will determine how much sweat will flow from a waterblock just above freezing.

Here is a picture of my chiller (http://fugger.netfirms.com/woody.JPG)

charlie
12-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Fugger,
Very cool! Super! That's a freezer with copper coils inside????
Do you use any radiators??
Now as far as coolant liquid, instead of antifreeze/water use methanol / alcohol. Still wet at -100!!!! However, very low specific gravity and will run around gaskets and rot out normal gaskets. In fact, in college labs when LN2 is not available, an approximate alternative is a dry ice alcohol bath, methanol with a block of dry ice floating!!! With a temp of about -80C or -100C...
If coolant temps this low could be achieved, would you use pelts or would they be unnecessary?
Hmm....
And how about the source for the ga-8inxp????????
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :banana: :cool: :toast: :D ;) :eek:
C

charlie
12-31-2002, 05:15 PM
OK,
now if you CAN run -75C through a water block, will the outside frost over and will the block get wet??? Water problems?
C

Charles Wirth
12-31-2002, 05:19 PM
It will frost over and ice will form without insulation.

You will not need a pelt

charlie
12-31-2002, 05:33 PM
Fugger,
Cool, so I'd follow a guide, like Mr Icee's review of the Swifty pelts a few months back and insulate the back of pcb with liquid rubber or liquid electric tape... and use foam around the block?? how about the top of the block? I assume the whole darn thing'd have to be covered in neoprene, the tygon hose covered in insulation, will alcohol expand and cause a system leak? And Swiftech won't return my e-mail about the resistance of their seal mat'l to methanol...
How about a radiator? Should i run a radiator? Maybe strap a radiator on for use when the dry ice is gone???
How many feet of 1/2" copper tubing should i coil into the cooler?
I was thinking 25' in a 55qt cooler(rectangle)
I thought about a circular cooler and figured that the area around the coils on the outside would evap first and leave me with only a icy core in the middle of the cooler.
For intense benching, fill the whole darn thing with dry ice and for light benching, use water with a couple dry ice bricks tossed in or water ice blocks...
How bout that new Swifty CPU block? Or maybe DD?? And that new mcw50 for the r9700?
C

Craig
01-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Have you looked at the new "White Water Rapids" water block? It is the hotest new design on the market at the moment. A very good design for you perhaps as it is optimised for non TEC systems. And from what I've read about it at differant sites it beats all comers.

zippyc
01-02-2003, 11:23 PM
I installed Cathgar's whitewater block with very good cooling results. I am getting top temps (MBM, CPU Core) of 102F at 100% load (after literally continuous hours of Madonion, Gore, NOLF2, Wolfenstien). I also watercool the 9700 Pro and Northbridge in parallel with the CPU. This is with my water averaging 89F and with the room at 76F. The 9700 Core temp measures a little higer than my gpu. (10 Degreees or so).

By comparison, my hi-flow geminicool spiral (which was an improvement from the Maze) was getting higher temps of 107-109F. Part of this is due to going from 3/8 ID on the Geminicool to 1/2 ID on Cathgar's block (same Eheim 1048 pump for this test), but much of the improvement is due to the thinner plate design I'm sure.

Cathgar's block works better than any other block I or a couple of my buddies have seen so far. Can't wait to chill the water a little.

Cons- It tarnishes easily (doesn't all raw copper?) and is a bit heavier than other blocks I have used.

-Zippyc-

Cathar
01-05-2003, 01:24 AM
zippyc, good to hear from you. Glad to see that the WW is performing well for you.

No 'g' in Cathar though. ;)

89F water in a 76F room seems a bit warm for the water, but I guess you're going after low noise.

Yes, all raw copper tarnishes. I apply a coat of protective polish to each block (except on the base) to help delay the inevitable.

Glad to see that you're happy.