PDA

View Full Version : I waited 5 years for this...

Soulburner
08-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Proud owner of a 2001 TA WS6

As of 8-20-05...

http://home.neb.rr.com/soulburner/My%20Ride/My01TA4.jpg

A few pics (http://home.neb.rr.com/soulburner/My%20Ride/)

:cool:

forey
08-21-2005, 02:43 AM
nice car!, what make is it

Kazoo
08-21-2005, 03:39 AM
A fine, fine...Pontiac Trans Am ;)

Mr. Manka
08-21-2005, 03:56 AM
i love the ws6 package

that Ram Air hood kicks ass
Im prolly gunna get or modify one for my truck during the winter
enjoy it and have fun at the gas pump

Brock Landers
08-21-2005, 08:35 AM
i love the ws6 package

that Ram Air hood kicks ass
Im prolly gunna get or modify one for my truck during the winter
enjoy it and have fun at the gas pump

Driven responsibly, he should be able to get at least 25mpg on the highway out of it.

Congrats man, I've wanted one of those for a while. They look so mean in black. Ejoy her.

Soulburner
08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Driven responsibly, he should be able to get at least 25mpg on the highway out of it.

Congrats man, I've wanted one of those for a while. They look so mean in black. Ejoy her.
The 6 Speed can pull 30mpg highway. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good one around (these are really hard to find here) so I got the Auto. I got a really good deal on this one so I jumped on it.

It should still be able to make 26mpg highway, the overdrive still keeps the RPMs fairly low (~2200rpm or so @75mph).

Reznik Akime
08-21-2005, 12:34 PM
A thing of real beauty.. Makes me wanna go back home and work on that 74 we got at my grandfathers garage. My dad got that thing when I was 3 for $400 cause it needed alot of work. He was able to get it running for about a year or two before it finally quit and needed more work than what he could afford.

Man, I remember my dad hauling ass in that thing. I cant remember how fast, but I know the car was shaking and it would whistle like Gopher's speech slurrs.

Of course, this was before governers..

Soulburner
08-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Governer on these kicks in at 162mph - I don't think i'll be taking it up that high anytime soon :cool:

Stewie007
08-21-2005, 06:57 PM
As a fellow Pontiac-er :) I'm going to congratulate you for making an excellent choice. :)

What's it have under the hood? I've never really looked it up. :p

Personally, I'm gonna get a G6 Coupe and maybe Drop an LS4 under the hood and tune her real good. >=) It'll do 0-60 in 6 seconds in the Prix GXP, I bet I could get her to under 5 seconds in that 6 Coupe. :p She's no TransAm, but I think I'll probably like it... :p

Mr. Manka
08-21-2005, 08:59 PM
its got a 325hp GM LS1 350ci. small block

vtx_
08-21-2005, 10:42 PM
nice car :cool:

Soulburner
08-22-2005, 01:41 AM
its got a 325hp GM LS1 350ci. small block
Underrated a bit ;)

And its actually 346ci :cool:

eBoy0
08-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Prescious!! :eek: How much?

HARDCORECLOCKER
08-22-2005, 04:03 PM
:D Nice - can it be overclocked............ :eek:

freecableguy
08-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I've been driving my stroked (383ci LS1) 1999 Camaro SS for almost 6 years now! My baby is about 520HP (440RWHP, 450 FT-LBS TQ)! Welcome to the team!

Soulburner
08-24-2005, 10:38 AM
I've been driving my stroked (383ci LS1) 1999 Camaro SS for almost 6 years now! My baby is about 520HP (440RWHP, 450 FT-LBS TQ)! Welcome to the team!
What mods have you done and do you visit LS1.com? I've been there for about 4 years.

freecableguy
08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Mods? I can't list them all...it would dizzy you. Yes, I am one of the founding member of LS1.com...been a member there since 1998.

Mr. Manka
08-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Nice - can it be overclocked............

im thinkin twin turbos, lsx intake bore .30 over, stroker crank lingenfelter head and cam package, forged internals, low compression pistions, transmission beef-up, 3.73 posi. 33inch hoosier drag radials

thats good for about 700+ HP depending on the boost

:D :D :eek: :eek:

Stewie007
08-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Bleh, don't get TOO obsessed with horsepower. You want to get that torque up there. Acceleration is all about the low end torque. Now sure, 450lbs is more than enough. But if you add power to your engine, and come out with 100 more HP and only a few more ft/lbs in torque you're doin somethin wrong in my opinion.

Now that's just hyptothetical. :)

Soulburner
08-25-2005, 02:53 AM
Bleh, don't get TOO obsessed with horsepower. You want to get that torque up there. Acceleration is all about the low end torque. Now sure, 450lbs is more than enough. But if you add power to your engine, and come out with 100 more HP and only a few more ft/lbs in torque you're doin somethin wrong in my opinion.

Now that's just hyptothetical. :)
FYI HP = Torque*RPM / 5252

It's a direct math equation.

Stewie007
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
*shrugs* The ratings are always maxed out...

Charles Wirth
08-25-2005, 04:11 PM
I am also a WS6 owner.

I plan on going with the ZZ block next, 500HP stock.

> 1000watts THX Bose 12 speakers = brutalize the low rider bass at any stop light.

Good chioce in cars, IMO F body is the best for highway travel.

I also get very very good gas milage, and of course my AC is modded super cold.

Stewie007
08-25-2005, 06:36 PM
What the :banana::banana::banana::banana: is the point of 1000 Watts... the bass is so loud you can't hear anything else... It just demolishes your hearing..

Mr. Manka
08-25-2005, 06:45 PM
fugger you should put in a GM race devolpment 572 Big Block 720HP stock @ 22,500$
then your sound system would be by flowmaster and i would only have one note.

Soulburner
08-26-2005, 04:52 AM
I am also a WS6 owner.

I plan on going with the ZZ block next, 500HP stock.

> 1000watts THX Bose 12 speakers = brutalize the low rider bass at any stop light.

Good chioce in cars, IMO F body is the best for highway travel.

I also get very very good gas milage, and of course my AC is modded super cold.
I have the A4 so the mileage is alright, but it would be better with the M6.

Stewie007
08-26-2005, 06:11 AM
You better be putting premium in that baby..

Soulburner
08-26-2005, 11:47 PM
You really think I would give it anything less?

Shame :nono:

Soulburner
08-27-2005, 11:11 PM
When I bought the car I showed my parents. Now neither of them are as car saavy as I, but even they both noticed and commented on the swirl marks in the paint all over the car from the previous owner. It was not noticeable from a distance but up close it looked real bad. He probably ran it through automatic car washes a lot (when I do, its always touchless, we have a place called Jet Splash here).

Well, the GF and I hit the entire car today with a fresh wash and a rigorous application of this stuff called "Black Magic" wax/polish. All I have to say is, "wow", it got all the swirl marks out of the paint and restored the shine. With more applications its gonna get better and better...its nice being able to take a picture of the car and see yourself taking the picture in the mirror finish...

May eventually move to Zaino (the ultimate) but for now this stuff rocks, definetely did the trick.

Two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rhino56
08-28-2005, 12:44 AM
are you on ls2.com also?
nice car man, any mods planned?

i found nemo
08-28-2005, 06:30 AM

why compression ratio isn't over 10.5 it'd be a waste of money, and besides 93 octaine is only usable with 12.5:1 and a little bit higher

Soulburner
08-28-2005, 06:52 AM
why compression ratio isn't over 10.5 it'd be a waste of money, and besides 93 octaine is only usable with 12.5:1 and a little bit higher
The car has different timing tables for different gas...if it pings/detonates because of low grade gas it is going to retard the timing and you will lose performance. The compression ratio of the LS1 is about 10.2 to 1 and it is NOT a waste of money, premium gas is required to prevent damage from detonation.

Not a member of LS2. Lots of mods planned, but no money yet.

David Coleman
08-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Wow...that statement reflects a gross lack of understanding of combustion and squish areas

www.theoldone.com

freecableguy
08-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I am at 11.5:1 with my stroker. Nothing less than 93 (I prefer Sunoco 94) goes in my SS.

trance565
08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
niiice, now all u need is cams, under drive pulleys, intake, timing adjuster, headers and exhaust ... about 2k, if u install evthing except the cams urself, and u will be running 12.2 qtmile xD

im saving money now for a z28 that i hopefuly will be gettin around xmas if not next summer xD
although soon ima have to convert to powerstroke diesel .... cuz of biodeisel planning on being 2bucks agallon soon.
you may wanna concider that too, plus ull have 450hp, and lots mroe tq stock

Mr. Manka
08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
just to clear up the post above
the ls1 is a pushrod engine - meaning that there is one single cam that sits above the crankshaft and is driven off the crank by a chain or gears

trance565
08-28-2005, 07:47 PM
... im now confused
what exactly did i say wrong?

Soulburner
08-28-2005, 11:49 PM
I was gonna mention that too, cam (singular) :p:

All this car needs to run in the 12s is a higher stall converter...its really not that hard. The A4 is known for being the Drag queen, and the M6 the Dyno queen basically. Thinking about a Moser 12 bolt w/3.73 gears too but thats pretty pricey.

One of the first mods though is gonna be new rotors/pads all around, they are in pretty bad shape and need attention. Then the car will be worked on from the ground up, meaning suspension first. You have to build for power, before you can build power.

trance565
08-29-2005, 07:48 PM
oh, lol, CAM, yea, im used to these asian imports with dohc vtec :banana::banana::banana::banana:, such as my pos(in my standards) sitting outside ...

LukeK
08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
hope u plan on replacing the tires...those fronts dont look so good around the corners....hope its not an indication of what its been through.

Soulburner
08-30-2005, 12:26 AM
hope u plan on replacing the tires...those fronts dont look so good around the corners....hope its not an indication of what its been through.
The tire wear is uneven due to the stock alignment settings...the camber needs to be corrected, i'll get to it eventually. It's a known issue with the cars.

Anyway, after being rained on the swirl marks are back...not sure what to do at this point :confused:

Brock Landers
08-30-2005, 03:54 AM
You may be able to get away with a clay barring and a serious wax job. Having just gotten the car, personally, I would go for a full detail. Clay it, and then use a buffer. (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=24)

If your budget can't handle the $200 to get into a decent setup, you can achieve decent results with a $30 wal-mart waxer. It won't remove the swirls like a random orbital or a straight-up high speed unit, but you'll notice a marked improvement. I used to use one in conjunction with Meguiar's three step program. (Truth be told, I used Gold Class instead of their 3rd step...) It will probably run you $75 for the waxer, pads, rags, product and extension cord.

Good luck dude.

Evil XP2400
08-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Sweet ride man :clap:

Soulburner
09-02-2005, 09:51 PM
You may be able to get away with a clay barring and a serious wax job. Having just gotten the car, personally, I would go for a full detail. Clay it, and then use a buffer. (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=24)

If your budget can't handle the $200 to get into a decent setup, you can achieve decent results with a $30 wal-mart waxer. It won't remove the swirls like a random orbital or a straight-up high speed unit, but you'll notice a marked improvement. I used to use one in conjunction with Meguiar's three step program. (Truth be told, I used Gold Class instead of their 3rd step...) It will probably run you $75 for the waxer, pads, rags, product and extension cord.

Good luck dude.
I thought about it but...after reading that article, I was thinking of taking it to a shop that specializes in this kinda thing. I want it to look like a million bucks, like it was new. It's too bad the previous owner didn't feel the same way. I just don't have the experience and don't want to mess anything up.

I just don't want something that will last a few days or a week or two...I want something that will fix it back up so every time I wash and wax it myself it looks amazing. I'll have to see how much it will cost first.

Soulburner
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
New pics, hit the front end again with some more Black Magic:

http://home.neb.rr.com/soulburner/My%20Ride/My01TA5.jpg

http://home.neb.rr.com/soulburner/My%20Ride/My01TA11.jpg

http://home.neb.rr.com/soulburner/My%20Ride/My01TA14.jpg

Car isn't looking too bad now :D

trance565
09-04-2005, 05:53 PM
niiice, the wax u should be using, is mcguires, they have the best of everything, period end of story, i think they have something ummmmmm cant remember, i just remember the numbesr, 7, and 24, one of them is a polish that u put on first, let sit for a good 20 mins, buff it off, then put the wax on, and set for 20-30 mins, buff off, it's a total pain to buff it out, but it will outshine anything u have ever used

Soulburner
09-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Actually the "ultimate" is called Zaino...but it's a bit pricey. This will do for now.

wicke
10-01-2005, 09:18 AM
nice car :woot:

Soulburner
10-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Will probably just have the whole car repainted sometime next year.

http://home.neb.rr.com/soulburner/My%20Ride/My01TA18.jpg

zakelwe
10-14-2005, 02:04 PM
I wish I had had a car like that at your age :cool:

Aerodynamics are naff, but that's because it's an american car, the engine sounds juicy though .. can't beat yank v8's for size ....

Regards

Andy

Soulburner
10-16-2005, 05:29 AM
I wish I had had a car like that at your age :cool:

Aerodynamics are naff, but that's because it's an american car, the engine sounds juicy though .. can't beat yank v8's for size ....

Regards

Andy
Bought and paid for myself. You just need to set your priorities and know how to manage your money. I have friends my age with the same job as me yet they scrape by paycheck to paycheck...every 2 weeks the cycle repeats for them... :( I'm really not rich, but they view me differently...and wonder where I come up with the money for these things, and on top of that be able to still have extra and modify things :shrug:

I guess the turning point comes when its time to save for a house....THEN i'll be broke all the time :rolleyes:

The drag coefficient is not bad at all really, at high speeds the cars are very stable.

Rukee
10-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Good for you man! Awesome looking ride!
I`d stay away from it with a Buffer though. What you are doing looks great. I love the mean look of those things! :)

mnewxcv
10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
nice ride. now slap a blower under the hood. how old are you and where do u work?

im 15, starting to save for my first car. hopefully a 2003 mach 1. eventually, drop in ford racing 5.4L.

conrad.maranan
10-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Will probably just have the whole car repainted sometime next year.
Your paint still looks pretty good. A little bit of elbow grease and that thing will look better than brand new.

Look into investing some money in a Porter Cable 7424. Never settle for those $50 rotary buffers that they sell at Wal-Mart or AutoZone. Those machines are very dangerous in the hands of a beginning detailer. The PC 7424 is very user-friendly (and affordable at around $125) and you can come up with excellent results using that and some good polishes, like Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and SSR 1.

Wash, clay, polish, finish polish, apply a few layers of sealant (Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection is very good), then top it off with a good carnauba wax like Poorboy's Natty’s Paste Wax (Blue), Souveran, or S100.
:up:

Mehmet_Ali
11-01-2005, 10:39 PM
yep, nice indeed.

hixie
11-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Who did the paint job? you should get them to re-do it. Theres orange peel all over the damn thing.
The guy who did the paint job obviously sprayed it by hand, and only went over the layers of laquer with some compound and a high speed polisher. And then dumped a whole load of wax on the car.

Have a look at this boat i did,
http://www.geocities.com/q_overclocking/SSCN0555.JPG
Not a single drop of wax was used or ever used on the boat.

Soulburner
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Who did the paint job? you should get them to re-do it. Theres orange peel all over the damn thing.
The guy who did the paint job obviously sprayed it by hand, and only went over the layers of laquer with some compound and a high speed polisher. And then dumped a whole load of wax on the car.

Have a look at this boat i did,
http://www.geocities.com/q_overclocking/SSCN0555.JPG
Not a single drop of wax was used or ever used on the boat.
GM did the paint job...

Jort
11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
GM did the paint job...

:lol:

hehe :D

§hinoßi
11-11-2005, 04:02 PM
oh man, my insurace is $300/month with a cadillac deville, I can't imagine what it would be with that.

conrad.maranan
11-11-2005, 08:12 PM
If you think that orange peel is bad, take a good look at a lot of the newer cars. Even my 530i has a significant amount of orange peel...$55,000 worth of it. Pathetic considering it's a 2005.

hixie
11-11-2005, 08:50 PM
If you think that orange peel is bad, take a good look at a lot of the newer cars. Even my 530i has a significant amount of orange peel...$55,000 worth of it. Pathetic considering it's a 2005.

I know, i work with alot of new cars, infact i have 2 jobs. One job is at Gloss:Techniq which provides high gloss protective coatings for paints, and i work at porsche. I might even have to start my 3rd one at ferrari next month.
So i deal with new cars everyday, and i can tell you the paint job at ferrari and porsche are horrible.

Soulburner
11-12-2005, 02:08 AM
Well considering my car is 4 going on 5 years old its to be expected. Nothing money can't fix though, but paint is probably the last thing on my agenda atm.

hixie
11-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Well considering my car is 4 going on 5 years old its to be expected. Nothing money can't fix though, but paint is probably the last thing on my agenda atm.

Thats good, i wouldn't bother having shiny paint on my car, cars are meant to be driven. Since when did shiny paint help win races? I would rather spend money to drive on a proper track so i know how to tune my engine.
I relli don't know why i bother with my job, the minute the guy drives his car away it gets covered with shyte and they get their maids (or local car wash) to wash the car, which puts a whole load of micro scratches (spider webs) on the paint which i just spent hours getting rid of. Or they go for a drive and get stone chips on the bonnet and come back the next day asking us to repair it.