PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Grand Prix racetrack 6 discussion

saaya
08-17-2005, 01:55 AM
its the last week, and the last track of the grand prix...
for most of you this should also be a completely new racetrack you havent raced before, so i hope you enjoy tweaking your machines for this latest racetrack wich has been opened just a few weeks ago. :D

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1964/oi70rh.png

saaya
08-17-2005, 02:02 AM
unfortunately you need wmp10 and wmencoder9... here are the download links

windows media player 10 (http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/8/9/C893085A-0D62-43EF-B2CA-5FCB6EFA7873/mp10setup.exe)
windows media encoder 9 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx)

they can both be uninstalled, right?
or is it like with wmp9 that wouldnt let you uninstall it?

Thickbrit
08-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Oh dear,i have no idea how to tweak for this bench,i've never run a pc-mark.What sort of things does it test ? Do i need internet ? I doubt my "stripped to the bone" n-lite install will have enough left in it to run this.I think i'd better get started early on this one.

Jamo
08-17-2005, 03:39 AM
oooooooo yeah -strokes raid array-

boshuter
08-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Oh dear,i have no idea how to tweak for this bench,i've never run a pc-mark.What sort of things does it test ? Do i need internet ? I doubt my "stripped to the bone" n-lite install will have enough left in it to run this.I think i'd better get started early on this one.

I've never run '05, but from my experience with PCmark04 I can tell you it aint easy.. :D Just one tip that may or may not apply to you, on every system I've ran PCmark on ( all Intel w/ATI video) I get higher scores with the video card at default clocks, oc'ing the card only lowers my score.... please don't ask me why ;) I've also had lots of problems getting the orb to accept any scores with my cpu running at 4.3ghz or above, which sucks when you can run 4.6 easily :(

Jamo
08-17-2005, 05:03 AM
I get higher scores with the video card at default clocks, oc'ing the card only lowers my score.... please don't ask me why ;)

erm, something wrong there mate, anyway i've got a few scores but i cant submit them, when i open pcmark05 to submit saved result it just hangs and does nothing for ages.......

I_G
08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
I guess I'm out of this one....

I've been trying to get 05 to run on my system since it came out.

It just hangs at the virus checking until the CPU heats up enough to trigger thermal protection, and then it just shuts down. :bsod:

I've tried uninstall/reinstall, different d/l sources, different OS installs....

:brick: If you guys have any suggestions, please share.

Thanks. :toast:

IG

saaya, Thanks for the competition! I had a lot of fun and enjoyed competing with some new faces. :toast: You guys are great! Maybe I can join you in the next contest (if I ever get 05 figured out!! :rolleyes: )

C-Ya!!

edit: OK I got it figured out. Needed a newer Intel Matrix RAID driver. :)

-Acid-
08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
well i cannot get a pc mark score at all
i do all the tests i think any ideas
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=71851

Jamo its Raid vrs SCSI lol

got post and i dont think the gf4mx 440se can do that test argh were is the gf3ti200 Attacks brothers p.c

InSanCen
08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm a bit iffy about installing WMP 10... the EULA is Draconian...

But that means I'd have to pull out...

Decisions, Decisions...

If I post a score, I gave in to temptation...

D4nnyOcean
08-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I had the opposite happen with video card clocks. My score went up almost 200 points when I was running it on my work system. Got a Leadtek 6200 unlocked and overclocked. The overclock was the only difference between my runs.

Funny, its the 3rd highest on the ORB for a 6200 and the highest with a single core.

Anyone know what advantage a RAID 0 will have on scoring? Just wondering if I wanna take the time to set a RAID 0 up.

Jamo
08-17-2005, 12:50 PM
well i cannot get a pc mark score at all
i do all the tests i think any ideas
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=71851

Jamo its Raid vrs SCSI lol

got post and i dont think the gf4mx 440se can do that test argh were is the gf3ti200 Attacks brothers p.c

shamone! altho you dont get as much as i was expecting on the hdd scores and i dont even have raptors

dannyocean - i have raid 0 on 2 x 160gb western digi 8mb SATA drives, so compare my scores to yours

Vapor
08-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I wonder what an iRam RAID0 config would do to the score...:D

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
how do i know which drive its running the HDD tests on?
My windows bootdrive is a POS 40 gb that averages around 15 MB/s sequential read....
but my other drive is a 320 gig raid array that averages 150+ MB/s sequential.
I just don't want my score getting raped by a dinosaur bootdrive.
I'd have winXP installed on the RAID array if my damn NVRAID floppy drivers would work. (they don't; and the stuff for making a new one on my drivers CD is 1.45 mb; a bit to big for a floppy, eh MSI?)

Vapor
08-17-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it'll run on the boot drive...unless you have Pro, in which case it'll run on whatever you ask it to run on (I think).

D4nnyOcean
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I noticed a score difference for me of about 450pts with hyperthreading enabled vs disabled. Enabled was of course better.

-Acid-
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
i changed gpu from mx440se to gf3ti200 and i still dont get a score argh
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=72237
is latest test score anyone care to guess my points

Vapor
08-17-2005, 07:16 PM
A small tip to people....don't unplug your monitor, it Fs up the 3D tests.

Der_KHAN
08-18-2005, 03:11 AM
when is week 6 gonna end?
i dunno if ill be done next monday.

I_G
08-18-2005, 03:19 AM
OK I got it figured out. Needed to update the Intel Matrix RAID driver. ;)

Poki
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Is using a ramdisk OK? I know it'll piss off alotta people if we do but it is allowed in this competition?

Vapor
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
I did...everyone can use it, so why not?

It adds another form of tweaking too.

saaya
08-18-2005, 01:39 PM
fm approved drivers only please, if anybody still needs help let me know, im in contact with somebody from fm who can hopefully help you with the problems :)

you need a directx9 card to get a score, is it ok with you guys if somebody who benched in the rest of the compo with a lower card goes for a dx9 card for this bench?

dont worry, the competition wont close on monday, pcmark2005 is new to all of us so im closing this on wednesday or thursday next week :)

about a ramdrive... well anybody can use a ramdrive, no?
it just makes benching more complicated and time consuming if everybody installs a ramdrive... i really dont know what you guys think about this, but id rather say no to ramdrives...

for anybody whos worried about wmp10, i really dont like it either, but you can uninstall it completely from what i can see, at least it seems to have worked on my system.

PS, i fixed the download link of wmp10 (it might be the download of the german wmp10, but at least this link works while the original one didnt... at least for me)

Poki
08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I made the assumption ramdrives weren't kosher in FM's eyes as they have been pulling results with them from the ORB. So is that a resounding NO to ramdrives or just frowning on someone using them?

Ugly n Grey
08-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Ramdrives aren't cool at all, they are pulling published ramdrive scores from what I can see...

Edit: But if RAMDRIVE driven scores are going to stand for the duration, we pretty much all have to use one I suppose just to be competitive....

Vapor
08-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Ramdrives aren't cool at all, they are pulling published ramdrive scores from what I can see...

Edit: But if RAMDRIVE driven scores are going to stand for the duration, we pretty much all have to use one I suppose just to be competitive....
I'm not in the contest any longer....no need to compete with me. :D

The gains from RAMDrives are WAAAAY to big to be realistic of overall system performance....though there are gains to be had in real life (like ensuring certain files get cached in RAM).

I'm keeping mine up until they take it down...I want it up and don't really have anything to lose by getting banned.

BTW, 'it' happens to be at 10955 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=73207) now.

Oh, another thing I noticed with the AR Soft RAMDisk (the one I posted in my other thread) is that I can't use over 11% of my RAM for it, and it only becomes useful once over 241MBs, necessitating 2.5+GB of RAM.....so not everyone can use it (for all I know, I'm probably only 1 of 5-6 people on this forum that have 3+GB of decent RAM to put in their system....which would change their system config, invalidating their results for this contest [like I did]).

Vapor
08-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Oh, I have another hint from the FM forum for getting 30+% higher score in Transparent Windows (FM approved too). ControlPanel/System/Advanced/Performance/Visual Effects, Adjust for best performance (disable all).

Vapor
08-18-2005, 09:19 PM
So I'm reading over at FM about other people using software RAMDrives...apparently, according to the EULA, it's ILLEGAL.

This is too funny. :D

Got a more tweaked non-RAMDrive score: 7188 (I'll publish when my 10955 gets taken down), #2 for X2 and 7800GTXs. #2 for any system with watercooling and no form of a RAMdrive (iRAM doesn't count either then).

Ugly n Grey
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
for a64/x700 pro I'm number two on the orb behind what is obviously a dual Opteron that has been misreported under those search criteria...

saaya
08-19-2005, 04:25 AM
ok, ramdrives are def not allowed for the contest then, would have been fun but if fm doesnt want people to use them we shouldnt spam their orb with those type of scores imo...

harleybro
08-19-2005, 04:35 AM
So if ramdrive sin't supported by FM will their scores be legit for the contest?

Ugly n Grey
08-19-2005, 10:45 AM
I think no is the point :)

Vapor
08-19-2005, 10:54 AM
So if ramdrive sin't supported by FM will their scores be legit for the contest?
As UnG said...nope....I was the only one to have a score with one I think, it was fun and somewhat difficult to run as mine was buggy (couldn't use more than 11% of my RAM for some weird reason). Anyway, I don't even have some of the hardware I registered with, I missed two weeks and didn't use FM approved drivers, so rest assured that my scores didn't count anyway. :p:

And my score was taken down and I can no longer publish my RAMDrive scores...that was faster than I thought. UnG even reported a score...that wasn't mine!

Anyway, my perfectly legit score of 7188 is now published.

harleybro
08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
K gotcha I may do an install just to play around amazing score though vapor! Does anyone know if the ramdisk cards are avail. anywhere yet?

funkflix
08-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Lol, PCMark05? I'm out of Competition.

Don't run under Win2k. And my PC never will see WMP10. GG :rolleyes:

saaya
08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
sorry man :(
i really dont like wmp10 either, but since it can be unsintalled i thougt it was ok... :shrug:

funkflix
08-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Not ur failur! ;)

Good luck to all. Maybe next time.

Highland3r
08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Having issues with the transparent windows test, the first runs where up in the 1000's cant seem to get anywhere near this now with ddr booster and card vmods on :|
Any ideas? The other tests are higher, bar this one which is much lower....

saaya
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
if you set it all back to defaults or to the same settings you had when you reached those higher scores do you still get low scores?

D4nnyOcean
08-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Anyone having trouble getting a score? I was running PCMark05 a few days ago and all was well. Today I did a fresh install of XP Pro and a RAID0 to see if my score improved. DL'd v1.0.1 and it will run through no problem and give individual scores for each test but overall score is N/A ??? Checked the ORB and seems at least one other person is having the same problem but with a completly diffeerent system. Here was my post there
http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=mopcmark05&Number=5466891&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1&vc=1&dbid=1

Maybe its the RAID 0 ???

Jamo
08-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Maybe its the RAID 0 ???

i'm running raid 0 with no probs

Vapor
08-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Anyone having trouble getting a score? I was running PCMark05 a few days ago and all was well. Today I did a fresh install of XP Pro and a RAID0 to see if my score improved. DL'd v1.0.1 and it will run through no problem and give individual scores for each test but overall score is N/A ??? Checked the ORB and seems at least one other person is having the same problem but with a completly diffeerent system. Here was my post there
http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=mopcmark05&Number=5466891&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1&vc=1&dbid=1

Maybe its the RAID 0 ???
I have the same problem with PC04 when I overclock (even the slightest...all tests run and report a score but it says I need to run the whole suite, etc.), never found a solution.

I_G
08-20-2005, 06:17 PM

Maybe its the RAID 0 ???

Danny, I was having the same problem. Installed the latest Intel Matrix RAID app and voila, problem solved...

You may want to check that you're using the latest drivers (RAID, AppAccel, etc) for your board from Intel.

boshuter
08-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Anyone got any idea why I can't run this bench (or pcmark04) at over 4.3ghz without losing points? I'm fine up to 4.29, but if I go to 4.3 or above it lowers my score or gives me a ridiculous one (4.5ghz gave me 351pts). Like I said, I have the same problem with Pcmark04. I can run any of the 3dmarks, aquamark, etc. at 4.5 - 4.6 with no problems.

D4nnyOcean
08-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like the updated Matrix Storage Drivers did the trick.

saaya
08-21-2005, 02:00 PM
boshuter, i think the problem is how windows or pcmark checks the cpu clockspeed...
i cant believe theres no fix for this... did you check the fm forums already?

boshuter
08-21-2005, 09:28 PM
boshuter, i think the problem is how windows or pcmark checks the cpu clockspeed...
i cant believe theres no fix for this... did you check the fm forums already?

It seems that the "2^32" bug was the cause... it was fixed in SP2. I installed that and it works fine..... now if I just had something besides this old IDE hdd :D

I_G
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like the updated Matrix Storage Drivers did the trick.

http://www.freepgs.com/benderda/party.gif

Vapor
08-21-2005, 10:24 PM
WE HAVE SMILEYS BACK!!!! OMFG!!!!

Oh wait....that's a linked image. Damnit.

I_G
08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Gotta have my smileys. :)

saaya
08-25-2005, 03:17 AM
lol :D

im going to close the week6 thread on friday night/saturday morning of european time, so be sure to post your highest results until then, hope you all had enough time to tweak your systems for pcmark till then :)

saaya
08-25-2005, 07:24 AM
ok, for all the people who couldnt get a score for some reason, heres the forumla to calculate your score:

The formula for the overall PCMark score is:
PCMark Score = 87 × [geomean of the System test suite test results]

CPU Score
The CPU score is also the geometric mean calculated from the CPU suite test results. The scaling factor is
created in a same manner as for the PCMark score. The CPU score formula is:
CPU Score = 82 × [geomean of the CPU test suite test results]

Memory Score
The memory score is also calculated from the memory suite test results using a geometric mean. The scaling
factor is created in a same way as for the PCMark score. The Memory score formula is:
Memory Score = 1.7 × [geomean of the Memory test suite test results]

Graphics Score
The PCMark05 Graphics score is calculated also using the geometric mean. The formula used is:
Graphics score = 17 × [geomean of the Graphics test suite test results]

HDD Score
As in the other test suites, also the HDD Score is calculated using the geometric mean:
HDD Score = 300 * [geomean of the HDD test suite test results]

if your card cant run the graphic test suite because it doesnt have ps1.4 then use "1" as the graphics test suite geometric :)

so its
87 x [(cpu score1 x cpu score2 x ....) x (memory score1 x memory score2 x ... ) x ...

_

InSanCen
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Placeholder (Ok, Ok, I gave in on the Drcaonian EULA for WMP10...)

major busy, so will have to submit first score I can get methinks.

You got Post #100...

saaya
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
congrats :D

hope major busy expires asap :D

funkflix
08-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Edit: fixed.

i found nemo
08-26-2005, 06:34 AM
where can i get fm approved drivers????

i found nemo
08-26-2005, 07:15 AM
thank you!

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-27-2005, 04:55 PM
urgh! score thread got closed before i could fix my massive system :banana::banana::banana::banana:-up... :bsod: :dammit: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: