12-30-2002, 02:25 AM
Ok, I have a 226 watt Peltier with the stats of:

Maximum operating temp: 125 C
Imax = 24 Amps
Qmax = 226.1 Watts
Vmax = 15.2 Volts
Delta Tmax = >67 (C)
Size = 50mm X 50mm X 3.10mm

Now obviously this thing will push my 2600 WAY below 0*c. So I'm looking for a fix, because there is no possible way to prevent condensation of this magnitude. So, here is my question. I have switches that I would like to do the following:
Two switches ON: 226 watts
One switch ON, other OFF: ~150 watts
Other switch ON, first switch OFF: ~90 watts

Now, what would the wattage and amps need to be on each of those switches, this thing is defying all forumalai.

Oh, and for anyone interested in what I have done on my setup, http://www.icrontic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43444
56k warning :D

Here is a -crappy- schematic of what it looks like.:D

antipop
12-30-2002, 03:14 AM
I thought i would never have to use this anymore:
U=RI
P=UI=RI²
I thçink that should be enough to do the calculation but i just don't want to think now

KnightElite
12-30-2002, 08:59 AM
The way your diagram is drawn, those switches don't do anything, since they're shorted out 100% of the time. If you add a third switch to that one wire, then it should work.

As antipop said, Ohm's law states that V = IR, so we can then deduce that R = V/I. From the stats for the Peltier cooler, R = 15.2V/24A = 0.63333333Ohms.

Actually, your best bet for making this thing would be a single three way switch, one with no resistance, and the other two with varying sizes of resistors. Keep in mind the resistances will have to be extremely tiny. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that at 12V, your Peltier only has 172W of cooling power, though significantly less heat output than at 226W.

Dizzario
12-30-2002, 09:44 AM
There has to be some way to prevent condensation at this rating? anyone know of a good way that wont risk killing your mobo?

antipop
12-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Good point KE i haven't seen that one of them was shorted, why don't you put a variable resistor? That would be easier to built and to use
Then i don't understand why you can't prevent condensation at those temp? Isn't neoprene good enough?

XZGohan
12-30-2002, 11:03 AM
You see, I had a 120 watt Peltier on my old system. The thing still condensated and ended up killing my GeForce 3, even though everything in that system was neoprened. However, this thing is completely conformal coated. The only part we are worried about is the area around the die of the chip.

antipop
12-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Won't some silicon do the trick? I don't really know anything about peltier other than what i'veread but i've seen many peltier sys on the net and none was having condensation problem