PDA

View Full Version : New Homemade Waterblock

BorgBob
12-29-2002, 03:05 PM
Some progress. I have installed my water block on my new KD-7 mobo and Athlon 2400+ cpu (xmas gifts). Details of the install may be found here, but I won't bore you with those details:

http://www.thewarfields.com/BorgCubeWaterBlock4.htm

Here is the finished result:

http://www.thewarfields.com/img/HotRodPC/BorgCubeWaterCool/Img_2985.jpg

That is one BODACIOUS water block, I must say. Now I have to plumb up the system, test it one more time for leaks, and then its cross-your-fingers-and-plug-her-in-to-see-what-she'll-do time. Woohoo!

PS, details of how I built this monster are in my worklog, either on my own web site (see link above) or Pheaton:

http://www.pheatonforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=446&postdays=0&postorder=&start=0

Straton
12-29-2002, 04:09 PM
It sure looks cool :)

TheDude
12-30-2002, 02:02 AM
Very nice work! Where did you get that mica insulated shim? I want some!:D

antipop
12-30-2002, 08:29 AM
Tell us how it is performing. I've seen a wc like this one but the temp weren't good at all (even worse than aircooling)
BTW you've put way too much artic silver, you should only have a paper thin layer, putting too much can hinder your temp

wEs
12-30-2002, 10:08 AM
yeah i also wanna see how that performs, i've thought a time ago doing that to my alpha...but never seen nothing like this before, now i can do it and know it will work!

Great job Bob! :toast:

BorgBob
01-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Testing will have to wait until I have a free weekend again. I tried firing it up and ran afoul of the Abit KD7 auto-shutdown "feature". Wound up disassembling and going back to my Zalman air cooler. I don't think it had anything to do with the water block. Meanwhile, it is sitting in the case, not connected to anything, pumping away.

Makes a good leak test! :D

Yeah, I suspected maybe too much AS3 as I mentioned in my write up on my web site. I'll try a little less next time. Actually, when I took the block back off, what was left was about perfect for the Zalman.

I'm also fooling with some "baby" overclocking. All I have is a stick of old PC2100 RAM, so I can't get much past a 150 FSB without lots of instability, but I'm getting all my other parameters ironed out. Got a stick of Geil 3200 coming this week, which should do a lot better than the Mushkin 2100!

It'll be interesting to see where I can get the system to. I'm not interested in mad overclocks, but would like to get it stable at 190ish FSB and a decent CPU multiplier.

Gotta upgrade my GeForce3 to a real graphics card too.

PS, I got a note from the guy who gave me the idea to encase a Swiftech and his temps were wonderful. I'm hoping I can do as well. I think its interesting that Swiftech themselves are now using a pin design in their latest waterblocks. Of course the pins are much shorter, and in fact, that's probably a more efficient design, it just doesn't look as cool. :cool:

morphling1
01-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Wery nice mod Bob, interested to see how it will perform.
btw. is that you assimilated on that pic ? Where did they get you :D

bigdawginva
01-06-2003, 04:10 PM
What are you going to use to direct the waterflow from inlet to outlet? Is the inlet directly over the die?