PDA

View Full Version : WinXP crash = no reboot or restore!!!

JBELL
12-29-2002, 12:23 PM
I have a fairly new Maxtor ata133 60GB HDD

I did a clean install of WinXP that crashed so I did a restore - now after my rig goes through POST I get this:

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
No Emulation

Press any key to boot from CD.....
A disk read error ocurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

If I force to boot from CD-ROM it start search of hardware and goes to black screen ands sit there.

Kosmos
12-29-2002, 12:50 PM
why don't u just reformat and reinstall? just get some hd tool which whipes the first bytes on the hd

JBELL
12-29-2002, 05:12 PM
OK UPDATE

Dropped drive into 2K PRO rig and read DIRs fine so I copied over vital info and formatted drive - got XP installing now.

Nohto
12-29-2002, 05:24 PM
JBELL here is a DOS software utility that writes zeroes to the first 128 sectors on a hard disk drive, including the Master Boot Record and the first Partition Boot Record. It can be used with both SCSI and IDE drives.
ZAP (http://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/hddtech/zap.exe) For future use. It is especially useful when you take a drive out of a array and forgot to delete the array before trying to install it in a different application.

JBELL
12-30-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Nohto
JBELL here is a DOS software utility that writes zeroes to the first 128 sectors on a hard disk drive, including the Master Boot Record and the first Partition Boot Record. It can be used with both SCSI and IDE drives.
ZAP (http://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/hddtech/zap.exe) For future use. It is especially useful when you take a drive out of a array and forgot to delete the array before trying to install it in a different application.

Thanks!

Nohto
12-30-2002, 09:28 AM
Not a problem. I know it has saved my life more than once. One thing I suggest is that you only have the drive that you want to ZAP hooked up because it is very easy to accidentally erase the wrong drive.

piercedandtatto
12-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by JBELL

If I force to boot from CD-ROM it start search of hardware and goes to black screen ands sit there.

I had this same problem the other day. I spent 8 hours trying to figure out what was wrong. Took the whole pc apart to test individual hardware. everything was fine. put it back togather and booted into windows with no problems. Still dont know what was wrong.

JBELL
12-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by piercedandtatto
I had this same problem the other day. I spent 8 hours trying to figure out what was wrong. Took the whole pc apart to test individual hardware. everything was fine. put it back togather and booted into windows with no problems. Still dont know what was wrong.

ahh the parking lot fix - works more than not!!

piercedandtatto
12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
ahh the parking lot fix - works more than not!!

"the parking lot fix" hmmm, never heard that one. Care to elaberate??