PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking the IC7-MAX3 board with P4 2.6c

tndb
08-11-2005, 05:01 AM
IĀ“ve just have to ask what each of you have accomplished in terms of FSB speeds?

My pc parts
Abit IC7MAX3 (with MC50 resistor removed from factory)
P4 2.6C SL6WS (HT 800FSB)
2x 512MB Winbond UTT (Twinmos Speed premium)
Tagan 480w Easyconnect (12v lines bridged, Ive got 40A on the 12v Line)
Ati Radeon 9800Pro (biosmodded, changed gpu cooler, added cooler for mem)
3 Maxtor 200GB Pata
1 Seagate 80GB Sata
Enermax fancontroller
Nec DVDR 3500
PCI ATA controller card (for the other 200gb pata drives)

Cooling:
CPU: Thermaltake Tower112
Fans: 2x 80mm intake fans, 1 120mm fan exaust, 1 120mm fan in the psu
It has some good airflow so most of the things keeps cool...

Now the problem is that something is limiting my overclocking..

Maximum overclock 1:1 is 227 without errors (memtest, prime95, superpi, 3dmark etc)

Maximum overclock 5:4 is around 244 without errors (memtest,prime95,superpi,3dmark etc)

I know that its the memory that is limiting me in 1:1 because if i raise the ddrvoltage to 3.2 it will work at higher speed but the vtt voltage gets pretty lousy so i keep it at 2.8 until i get my components for the ddr vtt circuit fix..

But it seems that there is something else limiting me from higher fsb on 5:4..
IĀ“ve feeded the cpu with more vcore when ive raised the fsb but it still wont work stable @ 250+.. Its pretty annoying as I see several people getting higher without any other modifications.. I know that the cpu isnt limiting me as ive runned it in my digidice (IS-50) @ 255fsb and it was barely stable but it worked better in the digidice at least)

Ive even changed the NB cooler for a passive one which i have a 80mm fan blowing at so it wont get hot.. there is artic silver on the nb core aswell..

Settings used on 1:1 and 5:4 (except the cpu voltage "vcore" which ive raised when i upped the fsb on 5:4 divider)
memvoltage=2.8, cpu voltage 1.550, vagp 1.65, timings 5-2-3-2, GAT/PAT AAADD, and what else?
I cant remeber any more relevant setting but please post if you find something strange/unfamiliar? or any other tips for getting this baby to higher grounds..
It feels like the nb is limiting me right now but im not sure.. Im getting some other mosfet coolers and some ram coolers.. Right now ive tried with a fan honking at full speed at different parts but no difference (running memtest)..

Thanx for any help :)

jrw
08-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Afaik the utt and 875 chips doesnt get along well.

In any case you should feed your mem max vdimm possible ~3.2.

Maybe consider the VTT mod as the Max3 is well known for its VTT problems.