PDA

View Full Version : [DDR] Caps missing while stripping the heatspreaders

vegeta
08-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Can anyone tell me what's value of the Caps that are missing ?
I could only recover 9 of the 14. I don't have a DMM to read the value of the caps.
I've read that there are several cases (e.g. Charlie), that the ram still works with the missing caps and even doesn't affect the OC. But mine doesn't work/boot :(.

Thx in advance :)

Here's a pic, so you know which caps I mean :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35563&stc=1

crodan85
08-09-2005, 07:15 AM
It looks as if you have ripped the TSSOP chips off. If you can I would invest in a cheap dmm as they are very handy to have around.

vegeta
08-09-2005, 07:23 AM
It looks as if you have ripped the TSSOP chips off. If you can I would invest in a cheap dmm as they are very handy to have around.

What do you mean, that I have ripped some IC's of?
If that's what you meant, the corsair 256 modules are like that.
They heve IC's on both sides not like the kingston modules (all IC's on 1 side, the other side is blank)

I went to the electronic store and they suggested me a Fluke, quite expensive huh :D. 170EUR+ for one with a pretty large measuring range.
I've aked about a Meterman too, but stilll ain't cheap :s(+-100EUR)

Do you have any suggestion? And which one are you using?

crodan85
08-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Oh sorry :hitself: it looks like there are some of the ram chips missing. can you point out on the ram stick where the caps where.

vegeta
08-09-2005, 07:47 AM
NP, mate :D
Ones that are circled are intact and ones pointed with an arrow are missing :D
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35568&stc=1

persivore
08-09-2005, 07:55 AM
I would suggest investing in an old stick of RAM to use to donate some capacitors to the damaged stick ;). It will probably be easier than trying to match the size and value of each capacitor.

At a guess, I would think that most of the capacitors would have a value of between 10 to 100nf, but all of the capacitors might not have the same value. Also, are you sure that the RAMs PCB isn't damaged/scratched?

celemine1Gig
08-09-2005, 06:37 PM
I would buy new 0603 SMD/SMT 10nf caps. These should work and they should be cheaper than a RAM-stick for donation, unless you get a defective one for free somewhere. ;)

But remember one thing: Soldering in those tiny SMD parts is anything else than easy if you're not a soldering pro.

vegeta
08-09-2005, 11:24 PM
I look around whether I could get one for free :)

Our electronic shop doesn't have those tiny SMD caps :s, theirs are bigger. So I think I have to buy those normal caps. Easier to solder cause they have legs. Hope they exist in 10nf.

What does 0603 SMD/SMT 10nf cap mean? Sorry for nooby Q :)?
0603=?
SMD=Surface Mounted Device
SMT=? (is this neccesery?)
10nf= 10nanofarad

And how much volts do I have to buy?

celemine1Gig
08-10-2005, 04:05 AM
0603 is the package size of the caps. SMT is another description for SMD if I'm not mistaking. Everything else was correct. And don't use normal caps, as they are worse worse worse in comparison to the SMD parts. ;)

BTW, here you can nearly all the parts that you would ever need:

http://www.rs-components.be/

chainhoe
08-28-2005, 11:50 PM
had the same problem, but mine OC'ed about 7mhz worse after missing 7 caps. replaceing them gave those 7mhz back.

LorD_Kvadd
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
I've got a pair of CorsAir sticks here and tried to measure the smd capacitors but my DMM freaks out every time. Shows 0 all the time.

Going to change the batteries and try again.

CaTalyst.X
09-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Are you sure all those caps are missing? it looks to me like some or most of them are just solder pads that werent used, that would have to be one hell of a clean break and a fall off a building to knock that many caps off.

-CaT

vegeta
09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I've got a pair of CorsAir sticks here and tried to measure the smd capacitors but my DMM freaks out every time. Shows 0 all the time.

Going to change the batteries and try again.
Maybe because the caps are soldered on a PCB and you won't get the correct value :)

Are you sure all those caps are missing? it looks to me like some or most of them are just solder pads that werent used, that would have to be one hell of a clean break and a fall off a building to knock that many caps off.

-CaT

Those caps were missing for sure.
Where do you think those caps come from :D
Notice the cap on the right of the "U15", that one was gonna come off.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36611&stc=1

If someone wanna know, I ressurected mine with a dead stickie :woot: