PDA

View Full Version : OsX vs Windows vs all the other OS

antipop
08-07-2005, 02:07 PM
This is some kind of big thread where everybody can post what they feel about OsX if they like it and why, if they hate, if it suits their needs or not...

Try to avoid stuff like "Osx suxxx" or "S. Jobs is GOD" (or more rightly "GOD is S. Jobs" :D).

You can post your different experience with alternative Os'es, the one you tried and the one you liked. (windows ME is not alternative btw :slap:). Which one you're running and how you are using it. (a movie director has different needs than a webmaster)

Also even though osx is closely related to the hardware (mac) i'd like to keep the discussion on the OS level. There is already a thread mac vs pc here.
Keep it civil and let it roll :)

Maybe UnG can start ;)

Chris_F
08-19-2005, 12:23 AM
I've had about two years experience with Linux and BSD (I prefer Linux to BSD) operating systems. I haven't had much experience with OSX, but enough to know that I don't like it as well. While it is a unix like OS, the whole appearance and feel reminds me a little of my windows days.

All in all, OSX isn't bad, though.

Platform
08-19-2005, 08:06 AM
I like OS X a lot.........rock solid and fast..also it has a lot of nice eye candy for you :D

Also the machines it runs on :woot: The PowerBooks look great and the rest of their products as well.
Have been using widows for a long time but OS X is simply SOO much better for me.... :D

OS X rocks :woot:

[XC] moddolicous
08-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I personally never actually got a chance to use OS-X at my house, but I have two old 9600's with OS 9, and an even older Performa 6360 running OS 8. Both of them are rock solid, worked perfectly for daily use, like checking email, doing homework, and even playing age of the empires (on the 9600). Even though they were both crippled by a 300mhz processor. I think that it is a really good operating system. I have yet to get gentoo to work on my computer, after printing and reading 100pgs on their website.

boshi
08-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I like OSX personally. For casual gamers and just about anyone else it meets the needs just fine.

euclid
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
im using a 12" ibook for travel and light internet surfing, music and photo managing/editing away from home ect. just to note i had no intention of buying a mac when i was shopping for laptop, only after days of frustration trying to configuring notebooks that i ended up crawling to apple.com looking for salvation.

so far i think it is great, the build is well above its price range of $1000 in the pc world, its barely audible, runs cool, no moving external parts to snag or break. ATI dedicated graphics card, bluetooth, and airport included standard.

12" is compact and about 4.5lbs. the smaller a windows notebook gets the more expensive it becomes, vice versa with apple.

os-x is very straight forward, looks incredible, like they advertize everything just works.

all the mac haters might have a point only when raw processing power/speed is the topic, and must put no merit on reliablity. if you need a reliable backup or somthing portable i feel mac and os-x are the way to go.

i have amd system ive built as home desktop, its fast when it works, when its not working im using my ibook to surf internet and diagnose the problems, and 2 finger scrolling makes it nice for web brousing :clap: :nono:

Darkfold
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
I love my iBook, its gorgeous :D :D

Never broken down, and not bought to game on, so no quibbles there either (Neverwinter Nights runs on it though, good enough for me)

Only quibble is that the left side gets verrrrry hot when intensive gaming for a few hours (and yes, I did just contradict myself). All in all, not bad for £600 (educational discount etc :D )

Ugly n Grey
08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I-Rook vs Thinkpad....hmm lemme think...
uhm no.
My mom's mini is doing everything it should, though it's a little slow it's very stable and works nicely. Overall grade for consumer PC is A- (could be faster, could have better graphics, otherwise it's great)

But an iBook? I'm not giving up my Thinkpad for all the worms in Apple..My computers don't crash no matter what OS I choose, so the famed MAC stability is nothing more than "Let's hide the settings that make things crash". I have Unix servers almost at the two year mark for total uptime and an HTPC running gentoo that's been up nine months now...I don't run much windoze but what I do have works fine, I only get problems OCing until I stabilize the hardware....

nn_step
09-14-2005, 05:24 PM
First Bill Gates is an :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana: who's only skills are lying and stealling..
Second Steve Jobs Pride is his primary weakness..
Third Linus was more about hating Windows then perfecting Unix
Forth BSD gurus are too elitist to make their operating system for noobs
Fifth PCBSD was BSD for noobs but it lacks some of the highier functions of BSD..
Everything is flawed.. You just have to find what fits you best

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 05:33 PM
well we also have a penchant for sticking with what we are comfortable with... for me it's Solaris and AIX... for other folks it's other OS's. OS is a tough thing to debate.. it's like that famous forum question.. "what should I buy"?
You get 100 responses saying "what are you gonna do with it?" :D

nn_step
09-14-2005, 05:38 PM
how does Solaris have the option just to run in text mode?

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 05:53 PM
You can choose not to install a desktop or you can choose a console only boot at startup... is that what you mean?

nn_step
09-14-2005, 06:00 PM
yep... I might give it a try...

Vapor
09-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I like Windows, it runs 3DMark the fastest. :D

In terms of actual usability, OSX is my favorite, I imagine it's a very slow OS though with all the eye candy (I like the eye candy so much I've made my PC have it). The one thing that sucks about OSX is that it can't run on my X2 right now (and yes, I will buy it if it ever comes to the PC market before Vista. If not, I buy Vista).

For me, Windows and OSX might not be the best OSs, but they are certainly the best applications...I don't do anything that needs something other than those two can do reasonably well (although, BSD is, IMHO, the best OS).

nn_step
09-14-2005, 07:34 PM
For me, Windows and OSX might not be the best OSs, but they are certainly the best applications...I don't do anything that needs something other than those two can do reasonably well (although, BSD is, IMHO, the best OS).
have to agree with you there

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 07:37 PM
the best OS? Real Unix... and the best variant? AIX... this outta be good for a few flames... but really what OS you pick depends on what you are doing...

nn_step
09-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Yep, if you want to program for DirectX you are stuck with windows..
If you want .PBIs you are stuck with BSD
and If you want to play games and :banana::banana::banana::banana: windows.. Linux is your prime choice

Darkfold
09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
And if you want good looking laptops with reasonable built in (better wireless range than powerbook) functionality, great battery life and good cross compatibility, but no intention of gaming, you cant go wrong with an iBook. Mine cost £650 which is incredible value for what it is.

Ugly n Grey
09-16-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm glad you like your iBook, why do you think it's a better unit than a thinkpad?

antipop
09-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm glad you like your iBook, why do you think it's a better unit than a thinkpad?
My bro bought an ibook, the 12" of course :) He's very happy with it.
It's better than a thinkpad imo because of osx :) If we're comparing pure hardware, the thinkpad is better imo.

Ugly n Grey
09-16-2005, 12:07 PM
My bro bought an ibook, the 12" of course :) He's very happy with it.
It's better than a thinkpad imo because of osx :) If we're comparing pure hardware, the thinkpad is better imo.
LOL...OK if you insist :)

MaxxxRacer
09-16-2005, 10:38 PM
I have a 14inch iboook, and it feels like im working on my old celeron 300a.. its just that slow..

it cant handle much more than using opera.. if i run a few programs at once it starts to slow down and is just nasty..

i have cs2 on here and that is just a freeking joke.. in the time it takes to load cs2, I can finish doing my picture editing on my computer... its just not funny.

and with regards to stability.. it doesnt crash too often, but as mark said, it is merely becuase they lockout all the settings that make it capable of crashing. OSX is a severly limiting OS and doesnt allow you to do ALOT of thigns you might want to do. for instance i spent 20 minutes trying to find a way to get the POS iphoto to NOT load when i hook up myh olympus to the ibook.. but no luck..

antipop
09-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Use the help file ;) :

Make sure no cameras are connected to your computer.

Open Image Capture (in your Applications folder).

Choose Image Capture > Preferences.

Click the Camera button at the top of the Preferences window and choose an application from the pop-up menu.

afireinside
09-20-2005, 03:17 PM
I run an ibook G4 1.2ghz 12". Its SLOOOOOW when I run a lot but its idiot proof. Rarely crashes, unlike my PC. I had my metallica "CDs" on my PC so I decided to update my ipod from my PC instead of my ibook for once. I DL latest itunes, launch it, BSOD. Restart and explorer crashes randomly after my computer crashes when trying to open ipod HDD. Itunes fails to transfer music. Ended up transfering my metallica MP3s to my ibook over my slow arse wireless network and effortlessly pluging my ipod in and watching them transfer (along with another 9 gigs of music, because stupid winborks deleted THE ENTIRE F'N MUSIC LIBRARY ON IT!)

I still use my PC for most things but when I want something basic to work the ibook will do it for me. That and the fact that I restart once a month+ (usually only for software updates) and not once a day/week :D

antipop
09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
afireinside, how much ram do you have? Ibook were shipped with 256Mb which very low. Tiger gives the best with a gig of ram. Try adding ram and you'll see the difference in speed

afireinside
09-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I maxed the ram at 1.25 gigs before even turning it on ;)

I'm running whatever 10.3 is, panther or something? Don't want to pay for tiger.

TMM
09-22-2005, 12:14 AM
I DL latest itunes, launch it, BSOD. Restart and explorer crashes randomly after my computer crashes when trying to open ipod HDD. Itunes fails to transfer music. Ended up transfering my metallica MP3s to my ibook over my slow arse wireless network and effortlessly pluging my ipod in and watching them transfer (along with another 9 gigs of music, because stupid winborks deleted THE ENTIRE F'N MUSIC LIBRARY ON IT!)
I think that its not that the iBook is better, just rather that your computer sucks (or you suck at using windows.... i don't think that windows would go and delete your music collection - sounds like iTunes messed up...)
I have a windows XP rig here that has been running over 2 years without having to reinstall windows. Its constantly ripping DVDs and burning DVDs, video editing, image editing.. etc and i've had no need to reinstall windows. It has never BSOD (even when i changed graphics cards... twice... Nvidia -> ATI -> Nvidia.) or crashed either. It sounds like your rig is majorly unstable or iTunes for windows just plain sucks (which it generally does)

nn_step
09-22-2005, 08:21 PM
PCBSD 0.8.1 is now out.. watch out linux something sweet is coming your way....

Vapor
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
What's PCBSD?

(sin)morpheus
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
This really is all about what you are going to do and preference. I perfer good old windows because I grew up with it. Though, debian is slowly moving in to replace it I think.

Mac OSX scares me with all it's little animations everywhere, it gets really creepy. Reminds me of the OS on the computers in sci-fi movies, next thing you know apple will release a program to view FTPs in 3D like in hackers. :D
The in order exec on macs is really the only thing that bugs me as it makes multitasking a nightmare. I hate that celeron 300A feeling you get on them because of that. Other than those issues the hardware and OS are pretty solid I guess.

afireinside
09-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I think that its not that the iBook is better, just rather that your computer sucks (or you suck at using windows.... i don't think that windows would go and delete your music collection - sounds like iTunes messed up...)
I have a windows XP rig here that has been running over 2 years without having to reinstall windows. Its constantly ripping DVDs and burning DVDs, video editing, image editing.. etc and i've had no need to reinstall windows. It has never BSOD (even when i changed graphics cards... twice... Nvidia -> ATI -> Nvidia.) or crashed either. It sounds like your rig is majorly unstable or iTunes for windows just plain sucks (which it generally does)

Yes, my 2.6ghz a64, modded 6800nu, DFI NF3, and a gig of ram gaming rig is total crap (yet manages to run CS:S at 1680x1050 maxed) and I have absolutely no clue how to use an OS.

nn_step
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
What's PCBSD?
A project to make a perfect noob/expert operating system..
that can either be completely noob friendly fast and an excellent gaming system
or be the perfect customizable nix box...
once the experimental unix-based directx-10 module is done.. Windows will be raped in every game made for IT!
It will be a couple more months before it will be completed but there has been nothing like this before...
Right now I just do my part by making PBIs to help with the BSD/Linux side of things...

boshi
09-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes, my 2.6ghz a64, modded 6800nu, DFI NF3, and a gig of ram gaming rig is total crap (yet manages to run CS:S at 1680x1050 maxed) and I have absolutely no clue how to use an OS.

Good job countering his claim about stability with your claim about speed.

You get 2/10 for thoughtlesness and lack of coherency in your argument.

antipop
09-23-2005, 11:31 PM
I reallly thinks your skills at :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :D :stick: Go back to your barbie pc :D

afireinside
09-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Good job countering his claim about stability with your claim about speed.

You get 2/10 for thoughtlesness and lack of coherency in your argument.

No he decided to be a smartass and say my computer sucks or I'm to retarded to use it so I gave him a smartass responce to both.

My computer is fine
I know how to use an OS

Ugly n Grey
09-24-2005, 07:19 AM
You can't possibly know how to use an OS because your piece of crap iBook is slow... it MUST be your fault :D

:rofl:

afireinside
09-24-2005, 08:26 AM
:lol:

When it's slow I have running
finder
firefox with 10+ tabs over 3+ windows
safari with 3+ windows
D2OL
DVD player
adium and a few chat windows
itunes
iphoto
bit torrent
calculator
text edit
IRC
WMP

antipop
09-24-2005, 11:53 PM
What are you doing with WMP? Get VLC or Mplayer and get rid of that :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I've been to the apple expo in Paris yesterday and it was really nice, I saw all kind of cool stuff, some xserve, i had the chance to use an imac on a session to learn about iphoto. Everything is really more fluid on a G5, i felt the difference when launching an app or using expose. That was a good experience

someone124
10-07-2005, 08:31 PM
OSX makes me want to throw the computer off a large cliff, i can't stand the interface :stick:

Vapor
10-07-2005, 09:11 PM
A project to make a perfect noob/expert operating system..
that can either be completely noob friendly fast and an excellent gaming system
or be the perfect customizable nix box...
once the experimental unix-based directx-10 module is done.. Windows will be raped in every game made for IT!
It will be a couple more months before it will be completed but there has been nothing like this before...
Right now I just do my part by making PBIs to help with the BSD/Linux side of things...Ooooooh! That sounds damn good...what about GUI? That means a little bit more to me than general speed, TBH.

That's why I love OSX so much--so good looking.

kiwi
10-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I've had a long experience with Windows, Linux and also *nix. And my conclusion is it all depends on your needs. But windows is usually good for desktops. Linux for desktops and some servers but for more advanced users :D *nix for serious servers, yet some users prefer it for desktops :cool: I don't say Windows/Linux can't be used as servers. Just *nix would be a better solution in many cases. As I said it all depends. Unfortuantely, I have very little experience with MacOS.

Welz
10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
I run OS X on my pc :)