PDA

View Full Version : Mobo trace repair

heater918
08-07-2005, 01:21 PM
P4c800-e. Can trace's be repaired? I have cleaned damaged section of debris and it appears damage did not penetrate to another section of board. Backside shows no sins of damage. I cleaned material off and scraped trace's of sealent material. I could not find alternate point to easily solder. Can you use conductive pen to connect traces.
pic. #1 cleaned
pic. #2 i have drawn what i believe are the connetion paths.

I made the mistake of swapping fan/heatsink while major event in D2OL sec. was happening and i picked up wrong (to long) screw to secure heatsink. :(
I'm becoming an active member in this section, just not the way i envisioned :help:

Ugly n Grey
08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
for trace repair I use rear window defrost material repair kit, it's very thin, unlike laquer and dries much faster. You need to protect all surrounding areas with wax (what I use) as you repair each trace...after it dries I clean off the wax and do the next one, etc...

2fink
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
for trace repair I use rear window defrost material repair kit, it's very thin, unlike laquer and dries much faster. You need to protect all surrounding areas with wax (what I use) as you repair each trace...after it dries I clean off the wax and do the next one, etc...

had the same idea... but too slow :cool:

heater918
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Pure bees wax. thin coat.
After repair do i use like clear fingenail polish on exposed traces?

Ugly n Grey
08-07-2005, 01:43 PM
that works well make sure the traces are well defined and not running over or connecting anywhere, use a magnifying glass and an exacto knife to fix if necessary. Your mileage may vary on the this solution...

Oh yeah good luck please tell us how it goes!!!

heater918
08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
yeah i understand on mileage, & believe me magnifiers are in xtreme use around here.
Thanks for info & this will go to D2OL use now.(if i get it working)

CaTalyst.X
08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
if it were me i would solder them, but those connection paths look ok. Use the defogger kit if you dont feel comforatable soldering them.

-CaT

heater918
08-07-2005, 03:35 PM
if it were me i would solder them, but those connection paths look ok. Use the defogger kit if you dont feel comforatable soldering them.

-CaT

You could solder it wearing sunglasses in a moving 2.5 ton troop carrier also :fact:
You may be getting a project before u know it :p:

JfRsQ
08-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Get a Conductive Silver Pen, it's far easier to use than defogger :p: and it can be use for other mods later.
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/spec_prep/Circuitworks-MicroTip-Conductive-Silver-Pen.shtml

heater918
08-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Well thank all for reply's, not looking good for heater. With jewelers loop i was cleaning bits of pcb(?) mobo that were molten around traces, i keep seeing small bit's of copper inside molten area as i kept clearing deposits as you can see in new pic. the layer below is copper plate. Screw was touching it. Now it seems i need to fill area after making sure all bit's of copper are gone before i can even attempt to repair trace's. In a way i'm mad but also glad i kept removing material because the copper was going in several places that would have caused prob. even if trace repair was successful. Liquid electrical tape in small layers across copperseems ok to me. slowly build it up?

[XC] moddolicous
08-08-2005, 04:59 PM
This page may be able to help u out heater.
http://overclockers.com/tips1139/index02.asp
Seems like someone had an accident with the screwdriver putting their heatsink in. This is what they said u COULD use instead of the way they did it.
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p56.htm

BB mods's
08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Send her on in,Ill fix ya up.

MeltedDuron
08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
way to go BB! that' what xs is about!

heater918
08-10-2005, 06:23 PM
way to go BB! that' what xs is about!

Xtremethanks :fact: :toast:

[XC] moddolicous
08-10-2005, 06:26 PM
can we see a pic of the fixed board?

heater918
08-11-2005, 12:25 AM
can we see a pic of the fixed board?
BB has been kind enough to get me back crunching with 1 of his boards while working on damaged board.We will see, he's good and he's fast but US Post Office while good did not go for my story of it being a medical emergency :D
Thanks Mod. for your help also. Will keep you informed. :)

[XC] moddolicous
08-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks. It looks like your daily is gonna be a little higher then mine for a couple of days. Your gonna have to break 300 daily soon to barbeque me. I've got to install linux on my xp2200 downstairs, and then I got another XP2200 to install it on soon.

BB mods's
08-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Damn heater...this p4c is shot....the copper u see in them pic's os the 3rd and 4th layer spacer....there was traces under that layer that are destroyed..i did the repair and tryed it...no go :( ill get him up and going with a nother one of my p4c's :)

Holst
08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Oucher ... it looks like you shorted something on the layer below and it burnt through the top layer..

To fix it you would need a PCB diagram and some time... and even then you might have killed more than the PCB... I agree with BB, its one for the spare motherboard parts bin.

BB mods's
08-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Yea she has been layed to rest and im ordering a new p4c

runmc
08-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Sorry about your lose. :( How did you melt the mobo in the first place? What caused the damage?

BB mods's
08-28-2005, 07:28 PM
He was screwing a screw into a hsf and it kept on going..sad way to see a mobo go but i guess it happen's.