PDA

View Full Version : CSS and sound oriented lag question

Brock Landers
08-04-2005, 05:04 AM
I am currently running an Barton 2600 on a K7N2-L. I no longer OC it, because something is flaking out. Right now, I am running the onboard Realtek sound. Any more, when there is an intersection of feces and a rotary cooling device, ie fierce firefights on say, Aztec, I get really bad choppiness. However the same thing occurs when more than one person is talking in Ventrilo.

I have a SB Live 5.1 Gamer at my disposal that's currently in the wife's PC. Being lazy, I figured it easier to ask before tearing our computer room apart. (again)

Would it be worth it to switch? I have read some claims that CSS performance goes up quite a bit with a standalone card.

Thanks guys.

Brock Landers
08-05-2005, 03:14 AM
I'm going to put the Live in it tonight. I'll post back with the results for those who might need to search the forums in the future.

Turok
08-06-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm going to put the Live in it tonight. I'll post back with the results for those who might need to search the forums in the future.

I get suden lags with my Audigy 2 ZS With both CSS and HL2 DM. Its more common on HL2 DM.
If I run the game for long periods of time, it could crash, and in HL2 DM crashes are more common.
If I disable CMSS 3D on my EAX option, HL2 DM crashes less ofthen, and its a bit more stable.

Creative's drivers really sv%k
I think the trick to get the Creative drivers in the most stable point is to:
1) Only install the drivers from the CD. Dont use the drivers from the Creative site
2) Install the creative driver from the CD only afther all the drivers and important software are installed (chipset, video, OS updates, security, etc.)
3) Do not update your audio drivers
4) Do not run other audio drivers at the same time, and remember to disable on-board audio before using a SB card

Brock Landers
08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
I installedthe card and I couldn't agree more on the drivers. I couldn't figure out how to disable the horrendous environmental effects, so I d/led the kX project drivers and it's much better. And they sound sooooooo much better than Creative's drivers.

And I couldn't get my mic to work with ventrilo at all with Creativ'es drivers. Stupid stupid creative. You'd think that I would have learned my lesson back in the multi-media kit days, when plug and play was just coming out. I think CL is the reason for the term plug and pray.

I still think I may go back to the onboard sound. It's not that much of a difference. I just need to play a little more before I make my decision. I only got a few rounds in.

JasonDTM
08-07-2005, 10:58 AM
IMO the nforce2 realtek codec was 95% of the sound related stuttering on that platform