PDA

View Full Version : DOS Stability Test

PoL
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't know if there is one already, so if there is, please, let me know.
I think it would be a good thing to have kind of a prime95 but in DOS mode, like Memtest. Don't you think? :)

guess2098
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
that's really great!!
i only know slow will make it faster, and fast makes it slower....
but those number, not sure which will be fastest!!

BioPC
08-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Hola paisano!

There are already programs for CPU priming as well as memory tests based on DOS, usually you can run them from a bootable DOS disk.
You may want to take a look on the Ultimate boot CD somewhere on internet.
Not sure if there is a DOS prime95...but there is a Mersenne Prime Test.

PoL
08-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Buenas! :)
And where can I find it?

BioPC
08-02-2005, 11:46 AM
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

some DOS programs here as well:

http://www.findmyerror.com/Benchtest.html

Nice to help :)

UCmajewski
08-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Actually it would be quite easy to write your own! I wrote a program that ran in command prompt window using c++. A robot randomly found its way out of complicated mazes and counted steps it took. Anyhow it was very taxing on system resources ....... and actually ran considerably faster on my a64 than my athlon xp. Thought about using it as a benchmark ....... funny with no optimizations at all it ran terrible on a p4 and celeron D. I actually have a warning to run it on an amd system to my professor when I am going to turn in the program also I made the mazes less complicated in case it runs on p4.

higgins
08-02-2005, 01:18 PM
why no just run the windows ones?

Ugly n Grey
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd love to see a DOS app that can extend into the 4GB memory space and work my CPU HARD in dual 64 (or even 32) bit protected mode.... oh hang on, DOS can only address some of that memory (not all of it) in small incremements over the 1 meg boundary with a mapped address space below that meg? Who cares if it's a 16 bit OS, isn't there a DOS extender ? No ? Well can't you write you own kernel for 32 bit? Yeah.....you could..wait a minute, didn't some warm and fuzzy guy write some little Linux thing a while back?....hmmmm maybe I won't go to all that trouble..

:toast:

PoL
08-02-2005, 01:44 PM
why no just run the windows ones?

I hate windows... it's so unpredictable... Memtest never mistakes...
I mean... Windows can reboot, but you'll never know if it was you overclock or maybe your OS... But in DOS... :)

guess2098
08-02-2005, 04:46 PM
that's really great!!
i only know slow will make it faster, and fast makes it slower....
but those number, not sure which will be fastest!!

OPS... i read it wrong... is not DQS.....