PDA

View Full Version : Revolution in the mac world

antipop
08-02-2005, 05:36 AM
It's even bigger than the use of intel chips : Apple is producing and selling a mouse with more than ONE button :)

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

I just ordered one and i'll tell you how it goes once i get it.
I had troubles using a MX900 on the PB through BT i guess it'll be more fluid with this one. The only bad points is that there is not a wireless version

Order
08-02-2005, 05:43 AM
LOL, that is one of the things I ALWAYS loathed about Macintosh machines. Its good to see them step into reality and practicality with this. :)

antipop
08-02-2005, 05:48 AM
It was always possible to use "pc" mouse with two buttons but this mouse looks good

Order
08-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I know that you could use other mice but I'd want one to match if I had a Mac. That one is interesting to me and hints at what the design of the new product line might be like.

antipop
08-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah it is interesting, i should be getting it any day now.
Apple is really taking an aggressive step against the pc's (and ms btw). First going intel which gives more powerful chips, less pricey and allows to renew the whole machines every 6 months or more, now getting a real mouse (which is compatible with windows), the ipod who almost everybody is using and has become the name for mp3 walkman...
Soon the mac will be like a pc, only better looking and with OSX which gives apple a edge (of course it'll still be more expensive)

Order
08-05-2005, 08:31 AM
They can't get too anti-MS or MS will can its Mac development center (read: MS Office for Mac) which would hurt them until OpenOffice is 100% interoperable.

antipop
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
And don't forget that ms has shares in apple, so when apple is doing good, ms is loosing and winning money, weird huh?
If pages really improves and they have an excel equivalent then they won't need office that badly.
Plus office mac is hell to use on a mac, it's very slow and takes up a lot of ressources. Even office 2k3 windows running under virtual pc is faster! (yes the prog emulated is faster than the native one)

Anyway i just got the mouse and i'm using it and it looks very nice, it'll post some more once use it some more

Order
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I'll have to get my biohazard suit out of the closet and head on down to the Apple store to check it out. I hope I don't like it, lol.

$a1Ty
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
it doesnt look very ergonomic, i dont like the feel of the button click as the button is on the under side of the mouse, but thats just me

about mac going intel, giving them better performance :confused: why do you think the G5's are so good because they have the ibm chip :slap:

geoff2k
08-05-2005, 08:50 PM
At least it's ambidextrous

Vapor
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
I hate the way it works...I'm used to having my middle and index fingers in constant contact with the buttons. If you do that with this mouse, it will always left click. You have to lift your index to get a right click...really dumb. Anyway, it is fairly ergonomic and ambidextrous. The scroll ball isn't great either...works better in XP than OSX (you cant customize the scroll rate in OSX). It doesn't have a middle button either. Both side buttons need to be depressed simultaneously to register as well.

While I love the way it looks and the idea behind it (one single button with 2+ button functionality), I'll wait for rev. 2.

antipop
08-06-2005, 12:03 AM
I hate the way it works...I'm used to having my middle and index fingers in constant contact with the buttons. If you do that with this mouse, it will always left click. You have to lift your index to get a right click...really dumb. Anyway, it is fairly ergonomic and ambidextrous. The scroll ball isn't great either...works better in XP than OSX (you cant customize the scroll rate in OSX). It doesn't have a middle button either. Both side buttons need to be depressed simultaneously to register as well.

While I love the way it looks and the idea behind it (one single button with 2+ button functionality), I'll wait for rev. 2.
Most of the people use the mouse with one finger. The scroll bar is really good and it very easy to scroll in a picture with it.
There is a middle button, press the ball and that's a third click, press the side that's a fourth one (you only need to press one side)
It also works better under osx, you need to install the drivers. There is no driver for XP so it behaves like a regular mouse.

I've been using it all night and it ergonomic (i'm a leftie and logitech and other big heavy mouse are not really suited for me). The ball is really nice, it looks very sleak. I've configured it as left and right click plus middle button and the sides are expose. It's not a gamer's mouse and never pretended too.

As for IBM chips, they were good but the competition evolved ibm didn't. The G5 are stuck at 2.xGHz for more than a year and there is no sign of a mobile chip (the fastest growing market). What used to be top of the line is now just regular.

Order mac user are not contagious :) Tell me how it goes :)

$a1Ty
08-06-2005, 06:08 AM
well i think thats the main reason mac are going intel is for the laptops right with the next dothan and stuff