PDA

View Full Version : using home speaks on comp

pRS317
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
is there a connector/adapter that would go from bare wire to stereo plug which would allow speakers with regular wire connections to be plugged into a sound card?

IYP
08-09-2005, 02:44 PM
get a cheap pair of airline headphones....cut them at the earplugs and take 2 of the wires on one end and tie em around the bare wire leads for the speaker....do the same thing for the speaker on the other side

Ugly n Grey
08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I think the ohm rating is wrong for that is it not?

craig588
08-09-2005, 03:17 PM
You need a real amp. You can use a 1/8 inch jack to left and right RCA connector cable. If your home speakers are the type with an integrated amp/preamp/EQ combo I wouldn't bother.

I have a 7 channel 800 watts per channel amp powering 4 speakers in stereo and one in mono. (I'm not a fan of thousands of descrete channels, I like my sounds mixed together) It used to be 7 speakers, but I blew out my custom ones and need to refoam them, the foam was at least 20 years old and was just falling apart. This is all real hardware, Harmon/Kardon, Jenson, Acoustic Research, Polk, Adcom, none of that crappy "computer speaker" stuff. Calling speakers computer speakers is just an excuse for them being crap. Computer speakers are also horribly overpriced for their quality, and the specs are horribly lied about. I remember one that said 20,000KHz response at -5dB.

Ugly n Grey
08-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I remember one that said 20,000KHz response at -5dB.

:rofl:
Ooooooooh Aaaaaaaaaaaaah did ya buy it? LOL

Craig has the right of it, easier to use digital outputs where available if you are going to the bother with using an amp...