PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Evaporator ...

tedderms
12-27-2002, 10:38 AM
I am in the planning stage of my phase change cooling project. My working Plans are to use either a +8000btu window AC unit or a Dehumidifier atleast 40 pint for the basics. I am thinking that R290, propane, is the best better for the price. I am not afraid of explosions with propane, I have worked around it a good bit. Alot of the details are a little fuzzy but they can be worked out with time. I am lucky in that I have a friend thats old job was HVAC, now computer Tech.
What I really want to asked about at this time is the Evaporator. I am planning on building this in two Rack mount cases. The cooling gear will go in the the lower case. To help with Condensation I was planning to mount the mother board upside down on the top of the case. Now all I need is to work out a plan for a evaporator that chills the top of the block well.
Any help is welcome. Thanks for your time.

Charles Wirth
12-27-2002, 10:44 AM
What I did was get a Volcano 7+ and attempted to fashion it into a evaporator block.

Somehow I shortened my plans and just dropped the whole evaporator in my water bucket and left my waterblock on the CPU.

Im not sure if using a existing heatsink will aid you but it will cut corners when trying to figure out how you will mount the thing.

Charles Wirth
12-27-2002, 10:44 AM
Oh yeah, welcome to Xtremesystems.

tedderms
12-27-2002, 10:58 AM
If a water block would work well that would make things easier, but with this being a upside down Horizontal system I am concerned. I am willing to get the evaporator custom milled.