PDA

View Full Version : OC Setup Help

Vortex
07-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi, i'm new to the boards and thought i'd start off my first post with a couple of OC questions since your members seem extremely good at OCing :clap: Anyway, i'm about to go AMD and i've google'd like literally 50 searches on the subject and i've learned alot but i've got a couple of questions and a setup that I was thinking might work pretty well. Here's the setup I had in mind:

AMD 3000+ Venice Integrated Into Chip
AMD 3200+ Venice Integrated Into Chip
AMD 3500+ Venice Integrated Into Chip

From what i've heard all of the above OC reasonably well and are around the same price range, not sure if the 3200+ would be the best seems to be that way atleast to me.

As for the mobo I was thinking DFI and their nF4 UT Ultra D since its supposed to work really well with OCing and everything.

Then the memory and PSU are the next biggest things it seems like, the PSU is easy since I can go with a PC Power & Cooling 510 ATX or SLI depending on the GPU I choose. Then...the hardest (atleast for me part) choosing the right memory, I was thinking about the G.Skill Samsung TCCD or their newer alternative which is supposed to work exceedingly (sp?) well.

G.Skill Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) F1-4800DSU2-1GBFF
G.Skill 1GB (2 x 512MB) F1-4400DSU2-1GBFC

The latter of the two works well from what i've read and it appears that most can get it around 275mhz whereas the more expensive does 300mhz without breaking a sweat and i've heard people have gotten it much higher like 325mhz or so. I dunno maybe for the price the latter would be better although if getting a good OC would require more expensive memory then so be it, thing is the first Samsung TCCD is like $300 at the egg whereas the other is $185 I dunno though to me if i'm paying $250 I just might as well grab the higher memory since it'll most likely be better.

Sorry for the rant, but i'm attempting to get an actual worthwhile post on this since everywhere else people don't usually even post on the topic or answer any of my questions :( if you don't mind please tell me if i'm correct on my assumptions and and from what i've interpreted from what I have read on the subject hopefully i've figured out a decent setup I was hoping to stay around the $1500 mark on the full from the ground up system.

Ugly n Grey
07-31-2005, 05:27 AM
Vortex welcome to the board man, I see you have "the bug" :bounce:

The first thing to do is check out this thread... I know it's long but it has great information and will help you focus those questions somewhat.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61554

There are also guides in the power supply forum etcc.... great reading...

Have fun

Vortex
08-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the reply Ugly, i've read some more reviews and I think i've about narrowed my system down. I'll post the specs i'm thinking about and my budget and adajcent info if anyone cares to help. :toast:

The purpose of this being...gaming since I don't believe I can justify SLI or Raptors since I have no problems saving $XXXX Biggest issue seems to be if this CPU when OC'd will work well with this system, if I chose the right memory, and if RAID0 is worth it when i'm only needing like...120 or 160 gigs...of memory.

As of now planned setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI nF4 UT Ultra-D
OCZ ATX 520W PSU
G.Skill 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 PC-3200 Winbound UTT
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 8MB Cache x 2 RAID0 (suggestions?)
BFG Tech 7800GTX

I'm going to OC w/ a heavily modified Lian Li case w/ several fans then later WC probably a couple weeks after the initial setup. I'm using this for gaming, light multi-tasking, and normal net browsing. Since i'm not using a hell-lot of space I can't justify more than like $120 in HD, I mean from what i've heard the RAID0 w/ decent drives makes a decent performance difference, if not i'll just use one 120 or 160 gig HD. Or something along those lines just as long as its around $1300. Thanks if anyone cares to help :)

franki-evil.tk
08-17-2005, 08:47 AM
in my opinion , if it is over clocking you are after get the AMD Athlon 3500+ venice , as it has a multiplier of 11x so it is better for overclocking , and runs at 2.2Ghz , wheras the 3000+ only runs at 1.8Ghz and only has a multiplier of 9x.

or if you are really looking for over clocking performace get the 3800+ , which has a higher multiplier still at 12x , so it's better for overclocking , and has a clock speed of 2.4Ghz , however as you go up from the 3000+ to the 3500+then the 3800+ you see a difference in performance , but an even bigger difference still in price.

but at the end of the day , you get what you pay for , thats my opinion anyways ... :)