PDA

View Full Version : DI in water cooling system?

aasmaukr
07-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Is it going work to put DI and red ethanol in the water container? Or is it too cold for the water pump?
Thank you! :)

Micutzu
07-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Well you'll have to use more than 90% ethanol in that mixture, or it will freeze. Also the CO2 dissolves in water, and worsens it's thermal properties ... that's why i would go ethanol only.

Ugly n Grey
07-29-2005, 03:28 AM
keeping in mind ethanol is highly flamable and the fumes are dangerous...

harleybro
07-29-2005, 04:00 AM
I actually did this 2 weeks ago. I used denaturized alch. Which was over 90%. I put about 3 gal.s in a cooler. I then threw di in. Is was pumping and got real cold then started thickening a bit. I thought it sheared the impeller off my pump since it stopped pumping. Later I found the pump was ok I think it sucked up some CO2 and stalled the pump.
WARNING: Do not stick your hand in the solution. I have handled di w/ my bare hands in the past. This being a liquid transfered the cooling much better. Parts of my hand turned white as if burned and it was numb till the following day!

aasmaukr
07-29-2005, 04:08 AM
Okay. Thanks. I think i will try that before i make a ln2/di container.
@ harleybro: How long time did your cooling work before the pump stopped?
and what pump do you have?

harleybro
07-29-2005, 04:26 AM
Well it only went about 5min or so. The reason is I was using a di tube on the cpu and was having conedensation problems the whole weekend. Once the pump stopped I pulled apart the rig. As I said I think the reason why is as the di boiled the pump sucked up water since my liquid level was not deep enough in my cooler. :)