PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for new cans?

aMp
07-27-2005, 10:03 AM
I've been struggling along with these Senny 212's for too long -- time to pick up a semi-decent set of cans.

Here are the criteria:

Price range: $50-150, with $100 being the sweet spot.

Purpose: Mainly gaming, with the occasional movie or music-listening thrown in. Since gaming is the focus, soundstage and the ability to pick out soft sounds (footsteps, etc.) are key.

Design: Probably closed circumaural. My wife and I share a pretty small Manhattan apartment, and she probably wouldn't appreciate constant gunfire. That said, if a supra-aural set doesn't "share" too much noise, it'd be fine.

Comfort: I'll be wearing these things for hours at a time, either gaming or slogging through law school materials, so they've gotta be pretty comfortable. Not too constrictive, not too hot.

I was looking at the Grado SR-60/80s, which seemed perfect until I realized they leak a fair amount of noise. So, any tips? Beyerdynamic? Audio-Technica? Senny 280s?

-aMp-

cetoole
07-27-2005, 12:04 PM
With a sweetspot of about $100, the AT a500, which can be purchased from Audiocubes, is probably about the best headphone for you. I am not sure if it still works, but give this coupon code a shot too, should be $16 off the a500: headfi-a500xbc. The Grado SR-60/80 would not really be a good choice, because they leak and dont have a great soundstage.

aMp
07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks, those look solid. Probably placing the order in a week or two.

Heard anything about Sony's D66SL "eggo" set? Never heard of them, but the stats look solid.

-aMp-

cetoole
07-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks, those look solid. Probably placing the order in a week or two.

Heard anything about Sony's D66SL "eggo" set? Never heard of them, but the stats look solid.

-aMp-
They are pretty good, and I really like the design, but for what you want, the a500 is probably better.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/cetoole/eggos/FoldedEggos.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/cetoole/eggos/OpenEggos.jpg