PDA

View Full Version : Best UPS for overclocking?

I'm in the preliminary stages of building a new machine. Pretty much new everything (Air, no WC). New PSU, etc.

However, I'm having difficulty finding a good UPS that can regulate voltage and give good protection from spikes & surges.

True online UPS's are way too expensive, so instead I'm going for a line-interactive UPS. Maximum cost is ~$200.00.

Any suggestions?

justwOo
07-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Ebay is your friend for a nicely priced UPS
I bought an APC Smart-Ups with all the bells and whistles for $60
1400w

Well, I just don't like Ebay......too much room for scams. :confused:

I'm thinking retail.

Ok, what APC Smart-UPS do you guys think is the best?

The Mofo
07-27-2005, 09:14 AM
I recommend the APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial 100V if you can afford one. It can handle the amps like no other. I also added dual battery packs to mine. I have the ability to stay up for 1 hour and 43 mins with dual battery packs. Thats with 3 LCDs, 650 watt psu, AthyX2, ATI 800XL, Multiple Drives, Printer, Internet modem and multi routers and switches.

As long as you stay in the 1500VA territory, you will be ok.. I can overload a Belkin GOLD Regualtor 640VA UPS within 2 minutes of playing UT2004 LOL.. That was with just the computer plugged in, so i had to upgrade to a powerhouse this year.

Like the above, search ebay. The UPS i got now is quite expensive if you go with a retailer. I got my whole setup for less than $500 shipped.

s7e9h3n
07-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I use an apc smart-ups 1400va for my computer and an apc back-ups pro 650 for my mach2.

GoThr3k
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
damn, was a bit confused because you americans have a 100V
and in Europe 220V
damnit

Jupiler
07-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Moving this topic to the General Hardware section, as it doesn't really belong in the OC section (which is for OC results).

sluflyer06
07-27-2005, 11:45 AM
somethign along the lines of 1100 or 1400.....I use a Smart-ups 1400.....I brought my rig home to florida from college in MO and didn't bother to bring my battery because it weighs 52 pounds....i borrowed a 600 from work....needless to say if I run anything 3d it overloads with 15-20 seconds and if i don't quite out of the app. it shuts off.

Moving this topic to the General Hardware section, as it doesn't really belong in the OC section (which is for OC results).

Thanks. I couldn't find the general hardware section.

Well, everyone says ebay. I guess I'll look around there for awhile. I'm just worried about getting scammed.

Is the Smart-UPS 1500VA loud? APC doesn't provide the dB levels on it's spec sheet.

agenda2005
07-29-2005, 03:28 AM
I have an APC Smart UPS 1500VA and it's quiet like an empty room. Got mine for $95 on e-bay and works great. It handles everyting I throw at it and makes my overclock more stable. It has a USB port that can be connected to your PC to monitor voltage fluctuation/regulation vs time, uptime, downtime and so on using a software that you can download from APC website (APC Powerchute, Bussiness). I love it!

Yummy! After 6 weeks of searching, researching, and pondering, I think I've found my UPS.

Building an excellent comp from the ground-up is serious business!

I have an APC Smart UPS 1500VA and it's quiet like an empty room. Got mine for $95 on e-bay and works great. It handles everyting I throw at it and makes my overclock more stable. It has a USB port that can be connected to your PC to monitor voltage fluctuation/regulation vs time, uptime, downtime and so on using a software that you can download from APC website (APC Powerchute, Bussiness). I love it!

BTW, How tight can you make the voltage with max load?

agenda2005
07-29-2005, 04:32 AM
Maximim load is I think 960W. You will hardly use half of that with a computer except you plug in other peripherials like DSL modem, telephone, printer, scanner and what have you. I use all those things and I hardly utilize half of the load on this bad boy.
I'm yet to measure the output voltage, but the software let you see the input voltage, from the mains. Sometimes, input voltage can vary drastically especially in the night when everyone turns on their AC during this summer.
However, be well assure that Smart UPS will regulate it and supply your PSU with clean and smooth voltage. My Fortron Blue storm 500W PSU is also quiet and hardly get its PFC to work because of a constant clean and smooth voltage from the UPS.

sluflyer06
07-29-2005, 06:35 AM
the only UPS's that usually have fans are rack-mount redundant ones.

Otherwise they are silent because...well, no moving parts. Its just a battey and some circuitry.

IYP
07-29-2005, 07:29 AM
theres alwayss that electrical buzz to get used to but i think we are all used to that by now :p:

s7e9h3n
07-29-2005, 08:52 AM
the only UPS's that usually have fans are rack-mount redundant ones.

Otherwise they are silent because...well, no moving parts. Its just a battey and some circuitry.
Hmmm, that's odd. My APC Smart UPS 1400 has an 80mm fan inside it and although it's not exactly a delta screamer, there's definately a noticable hum from it. :confused: My APC Back-UPS Pro 600, on the other hand, has no fan inside and is silent.

sluflyer06
07-29-2005, 11:32 AM
thats weird...maybe i should open up my smart ups 1400...i didn't think their was a fan in it, i've never heard it...though i'm not too picky until levels are 40db or higher.

s7e9h3n
07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
thats weird...maybe i should open up my smart ups 1400...i didn't think their was a fan in it, i've never heard it...though i'm not too picky until levels are 40db or higher.
Just look in the area of the "vent holes" on the side panel of the ups. The fan should be on the left side when facing the front of the unit. LMK, cuz I'm curious if there's different versions.....

Besides my comp, I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my Home Theater setup, so I don't want any noise at all coming out of it at all.

NickK
07-31-2005, 04:40 AM
Besides my comp, I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my Home Theater setup, so I don't want any noise at all coming out of it at all.

Hmm audio equipment still normally uses non-switched power supplies. I remember once reading in an audio mag that using an UPS and an audio amp with a toritodal (if I could spell today! a coiled PSU) wasn't recommended.

Mastakilla
09-08-2006, 11:28 AM
can anyone please tell me if an APC 1500VA non rack ups makes noise that can be heard above an ocz powerstream 520W psu?

i have a watercooled pc with about 12 120mm fans running around 1000rpm and my psu is the only i can clearly hear
i wouldnt want an ups that is louder then then my psu

also i wanted to attach anything electronic with value to it if possible
with that i mean pc, lcd (atm still crt), beamer (not yet), surround set with build in amp in the subwoofer, printer (broke atm), scanner (not yet), adslmodem/router, laptop, telephone

is there anything from the above that cant be attached?

i also wonder how long an ups lasts?
does the battery wear off? and how soon?
does it go gradually or is it broke at once?
i dont expect much powerdowns here, so it is more for safety purposes (lighting, spikes, etc)

J-Mag
09-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Having a UPS actually helps in overclocking?!?

I am pretty sure if you have a good PSU it really doesn't make a difference, unless you are getting brown outs allt he time in your area...

EsaT
09-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Hmm audio equipment still normally uses non-switched power supplies. I remember once reading in an audio mag that using an UPS and an audio amp with a toritodal (if I could spell today! a coiled PSU) wasn't recommended.That's because toroidal transformers take huge power surge at startup, already 200w model can draw ~40A surge if it doesn't have surge supression.
In fact even low power models can draw considerable surge:
http://www.trafox.fi/index.php?id=179

can anyone please tell me if an APC 1500VA non rack ups makes noise that can be heard above an ocz powerstream 520W psu?I think noise kept by UPS should depend directly from type and state of operation.
I would expect all higher power UPSes to have some kind fan for cooling but sound of fan is propably always drowned by that electrical buzzing UPS keeps while operating at battery.
Now that of course isn't problem because while getting power from outlet they're silent.
But On-line UPSes which route all power through battery are always operating so those make noise always regardless do they get power from outlet or not.

i also wonder how long an ups lasts?
does the battery wear off? and how soon?
does it go gradually or is it broke at once?
i dont expect much powerdowns here, so it is more for safety purposes (lighting, spikes, etc)UPS itself should be very long time device, remember also that they're designed to withstand 24/7 use.
Wearing off battery depends apparently quite much about how much it has been used, I myself have near 5 year old battery in UPS but if UPS is often running at battery, and especially so that battery is lot of time at low charge level that should affect longevity of battery very strongly. (lead batteries don't like being empty)

Also if you're just getting it for surge protection there's actually devices designed entirely for that purpose which are rated for much stronger surges than surge protectors built into UPSes. For example APC upses are mostly rated for ~300 Joule surge but separate surge protectors are rated for something like 2000 -3000 Joules, so it would be better to get such and put that as first device and then (maybe smaller) UPS after it with only those devices which are power critical, like beamers which need power for cooling to prevent burning of bulb because of heat.
http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=12

Mastakilla
09-08-2006, 01:40 PM
thx for the answer EsaT

does this mean that also that surround set with build in amp in the sub draws like 40A and cant be used with the ups? because i think that APC 1500VA can only handle about 6.5A right?

Also you mention that if i use a surge supressor i dont need to hook up things like monitor, printer, etc to the ups, right?
I though an UPS also kept the voltage stable? I would think that also could greatly improve my hardware alive longer...
or does a good surge suppressor do all protecting stuff that an apc 1500VA does too? (looks kinda difficult for it to even lower voltages without a battery)

jonnyGURU
09-08-2006, 01:54 PM
thx for the answer EsaT

does this mean that also that surround set with build in amp in the sub draws like 40A and cant be used with the ups?

40A?!? You mean 40W. 40A is impossible. That's twice what your electrical outlets in your house can handle.

EsaT
09-09-2006, 12:29 AM
40A?!? You mean 40W. 40A is impossible. That's twice what your electrical outlets in your house can handle.Didn't you check a graph made by one manufacturer?
http://www.trafox.fi/index.php?id=179
Smallest toroidal transformers shouldn't burn fuses but after going to hundreds watts class those would surely burn every fast fuse/trip circuit breakers with too low magnetic tripping treshold.
And about 500W transformer should burn about every fuse of ratings used in households with surge current rising above 50A so propably every device with those contain surge limiting device (like resistor in series with primary winding which is then bypassed) for limiting surge to little more reasonable level.
In fact they seem to mention such devices in powerful amplifiers:
http://www.electromusic.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d124.html

That's really not so different than what common AC motors would do if rotor can't rotate or difference between rotation speed of stator's magnetic field and rotor is too high. (highest difference when rotor doesn't turn) Ever noticed lights dimming when bigger AC motor is started?

As one other thing CRTs are good for drawing current surges, I have APC Back-UPS Pro 650VA/400W and if I turn 19" Samsung 959NF on while UPS is running at battery overload protection trips immediately.

jonnyGURU
09-09-2006, 05:08 AM
LOL!

But we're talking about A SET OF COMPUTER SPEAKERS!!!!! :D :D :D

So I mis-spoke. 40A for a set of computer speakers is impossible.

And even if it was a Peavy GPS3500, if you were to max that thing out, you WILL trip the breaker in the house.

eva2000
09-09-2006, 05:17 AM
both OPB and I use APC BackUPS RS 1500VA UPS.. i have also gotten the additional battery BR24P to triple the uptime provided :)

Mastakilla
10-18-2006, 03:11 PM
can anyone please explain, in not too technical language, what the difference in features is between these 2 UPS's:

APC Smart-UPS SUA1500I 450 euro
and
APC Smart-UPS XL SUA1000XLI 500 euro

I know the 1500VA is more powerfull probably, but i would like to know if there is any difference featurewise (sorry if i dont know all UPS-terms)
or an important technical difference other then the more power
something must explain the big price difference of the XL range?

atm i am considering of buying the 1000VA one, because on the APC site it is rated at 42dB, while the 1500VA is rated at 45dB (noise does matter for me)

hope help me make my mind up

thx