PDA

View Full Version : Computer Rebooting at Windows Screen

BiGhItTeR
07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Hello, I have no idea why but my computer reboots every time it gets to the windows screen (blue bar goes across once, it flashes a blue screen really fast, then reboots). I've made sure all the connections are secure, removed ram sticks one at a time to see if a stick has gone bad, and checked the bios for anything suspicious. This system is not (and cannot) be overclocked and I've made no changes to it at all. Any ideas would be great as I really need to get this computer working.

Specs:
intel 2.66ghz proc
intel motherboard
ati 9600se
western digital 160gb
2x512mb pc2700 mushkin ram
thermaltake purepower 420w
live soundcard

IYP
07-25-2005, 03:06 PM
have you changed hardware recently without reinstaling windows?

BiGhItTeR
07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
No.

[XC] leviathan18
07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
claer cmos

BiGhItTeR
07-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Remove and reinsert the battery, right? Could that help even if I wasn't changing any settings in the bios. I hope this works.

BiGhItTeR
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I removed and reinserted the battery, cleared the cmos. Same thing.

IYP
07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
theres a jumper you have to set....not as simple as removing the battery....someone expand on this who nos a little more on this subject

freak22
07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
if you are looking at the board find the Cmos battery. should be bottom right hand side of the mobo. right next to the battery is some jumpers. find jumper that has JP2 next to it on the mobo and follow the instructions below.

Jumper Settings
If you encounter the following,
a) CMOS data becomes corrupted.
b) You forgot the supervisor or user password.
c) You are unable to boot-up the computer system because the
processor’s ratio/clock was incorrectly set in the BIOS.
you can reconfigure the system with the default values stored in the
ROM BIOS.
To load the default values stored in the ROM BIOS, please follow
the steps below.
1. Power-off the system.
2. Set JP2 pins 2 and 3 to On. Wait for a few seconds and set JP2
back to its default setting, pins 1 and 2 On.
3. Now power-on the system.
If your reason for clearing the CMOS data is due to incorrect
setting of the processor’s ratio/clock in the BIOS, please proceed
to step 4.
2-3 On:
Clear CMOS Data
1-2 On: Normal
(default)
�� JP2
Clear CMOS Data

also download this MOBO (http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/lputnf4%20847505101.pdf)

its the manuel for your mobo. check out page 29. shows you where its at on the mobo.

BiGhItTeR
07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Okay, I cleared the cmos that way and did the battery thing. It still does the same thing as before. Also, the computer with the dfi board is my main computer, the one I'm talking about uses an intel motherboard. I found this somewhere and was wondering if this may work:

To repair your WinXp

1. Put windows CD in CDROM
2. Restart computer...
3. Go into BIOS and set primary boot to CDROM
4. Windows install will run aumatically and it will ask you if you want to repair
Tell it to Repair...

freak22
07-25-2005, 08:43 PM
you can try and repair it but you may lose your data. i would do some heavy research on the subject and make sure before you do it or you may be saying bye bye to all your data.

rsGTS
07-25-2005, 08:59 PM
have you tried safe mode? ie F8 on startup?
I would see if it acts the same way, if it does then you have 2 choices, if you need to get data off of the drive, I would recommend a parallel install, followed by a format reinstall after data is recovered, if data is not important then you can try a repair, which is booting from CD, pass the first option of R to repair (go past the liscence agreement) and then do the second repair option (if you dont see second repair option and only see partitioning info then your MBR is jacked up too badly for windows CD to detect it, in that case parallel install is only option left other than straight format reinstall), but that fix has the potential to cause more issues, and if you are using a CD with different service pack than what the system is running then absolutely DO NOT do a repair, only do it if your cd is same service pack.
Hope that helps out.

freak22
07-25-2005, 09:06 PM
have you tried safe mode? ie F8 on startup?
I would see if it acts the same way, if it does then you have 2 choices, if you need to get data off of the drive, I would recommend a parallel install, followed by a format reinstall after data is recovered, if data is not important then you can try a repair, which is booting from CD, pass the first option of R to repair (go past the liscence agreement) and then do the second repair option (if you dont see second repair option and only see partitioning info then your MBR is jacked up too badly for windows CD to detect it, in that case parallel install is only option left other than straight format reinstall), but that fix has the potential to cause more issues, and if you are using a CD with different service pack than what the system is running then absolutely DO NOT do a repair, only do it if your cd is same service pack.
Hope that helps out.

Bingo :toast: