PDA

View Full Version : Force XP to use more RAM? Paging file on RAM Drive?

Sage
07-24-2005, 09:04 PM
i have 1.5GB of RAM and while playing Battlefield 2 i ALT-TABed to see how much memory it was using..

its using 500mb of RAM and 600mb of Virtual Memory and i have 400mb doing nothing!

If i make the paging file smaller it still uses the same RAM and runs slower.. :(

Anyway to make a 400MB RAM drive and chuck my paging file on it?

Little help would be nice :)

bachus_anonym
07-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Let's put it that way:

VM size in Task Manager is the column that is as close as gets to showing how much memory certain process uses. BUT... Virtual memory doesn't necessarly mean pagefile! VM size can be pagefile or RAM or both :)

If VM size for certain process is bigger that the amount of your physical RAM then you can be sure that systems uses pagefile. Otherwise, it means that you have enough physical RAM.

KoolDrew
07-25-2005, 04:03 AM
Windows will always try to find a use for all your RAM. Just leave the pagefile System Managed and forget about it.

Also making a ramdrive is not smart.

rcofell
07-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Windows will always try to find a use for all your RAM.

:rolleyes: But there is a difference between a use and a productive use, windows has some strange habits, like saying that it's using a 1.5gig page file when I've completely turned it off.

KoolDrew
07-26-2005, 04:14 AM
And how exactly are you measuring PF usage? The PF usage graph in Task Manager is not PF usage. The only way to tell it using built in tools is by using perfmon.

Also why exactly would you want to turn it off?

masterofpuppets
07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
The other 600MB in the pagefile is most likely unused processes, such as explorer, and web browsers. Since they are not using up too much CPU usage, Windows assumes they are idle and puts them into the pagefile, while the more active process goes into RAM. I assume it's like that for Windows, on Linux, that is default behaviour.