PDA

View Full Version : RAID question...(similarity of drives?)

Xylo
07-24-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a LANPARTY nF4 mobo and am planning on creating a RAID array (most likely just a 2-drive RAID 0+1)...

Just how similar do the two drives need to be? Absolutely identical? Just same size? Or do they need to be even closer?

Thanks!
Xylo

.sentinel
07-24-2005, 07:45 PM
They don't need to be the same size but the bigger one will have the extra space wasted. The RAID setup will ignore the extra space.

freak22
07-26-2005, 08:18 PM
They don't need to be the same size but the bigger one will have the extra space wasted. The RAID setup will ignore the extra space.

you are correct sir. as long as you get the same size then no wasted space. some people will try and tell you that you GOT to get the same HD but that is not the case. i do field work for various POS systems. most of their office computers are set up in a RAID config. most do not have the same kind of drive. just the same size.

Ugly n Grey
07-27-2005, 05:17 AM
I would recommend using the same manufacturer however. It's a rule I have stuck with since the first SCSI hard drives....

freak22
07-27-2005, 08:17 AM
I would recommend using the same manufacturer however. It's a rule I have stuck with since the first SCSI hard drives....

I agree. no since in having two different manufacturers unless you already had a drive and came across a different manufacturer of the same size for a great deal. but personally for me i will pay a little extra to have the same.