PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Peltier

snipper_cr
07-24-2005, 04:31 PM
I was soldering extensions onto my massive 437 watt peltier and when i was doing it "pop" the lead i was soldering came right out of the peltier. All i have left now is not even a nub of copper that goes into the peltier. Screwed.

Is there any possible way this could be repaired? I am not exactly sure i wanna spend 50 bucks on a new one from frozencpu.com (ebay doesnt have the 24 volt ones).

Perhaps someone here has one not being used anymore?

Holst
07-25-2005, 09:37 AM
They use low temp solder on TEC so that the wire will fall off if it gets to hot...

You might be able to solder the wire back on... but you might not..

Can you take a PIC?

Tip for people trying a similar extention is to grab some pliers or somthing around the TEC end of the wire to act as a heatsink... this should prevent the solder from melting on the TEC.

snipper_cr
07-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Oooo smart idea. I was going to use high tempature solder but your idea about low temp makes sense actually... Ill give it a try but i dont think ill be able to do it...

-(CH)-
07-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Forget it, its dead... same happend to my 320 W Peltier...

gkiing
08-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Not true.. i've revived an old 80W peltier several times by soldering the tiny tiny wires back on after I've ripped them off by accident.

snipper_cr
08-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I am worried the excesive current @ 24volts would be hampered by amature soldering. I will try that. Low tempature solder is easier to work with and hopefully i can get it to work.

I should heatsink the peltier on both sides right so the heat from the soldering iron doesnt cook the inards?

gkiing
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
You won't cook the peltier. Just make sure to tin the tip of your soldering iron first and it should be easy.

Stocky
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
I should heatsink the peltier on both sides right so the heat from the soldering iron doesnt cook the inards?

That sounds like a good plan. After you solder the wire, you could always give it a good tug, and if it doesn't break you can assume you have a good joint ;)

gkiing
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
That sounds like a good plan. After you solder the wire, you could always give it a good tug, and if it doesn't break you can assume you have a good joint ;)

Putting heatsinks on it is pointless. In the time it takes to make a solder join the heat cannot even migrate more than 5mm or so. Also DONT tug on the wires, they will only come OFF. Solder doesnt stick too well to peltiers...

caater
08-12-2005, 05:19 AM
my pelts have been repaired mostly with hi-temp solder.
when i used normal solder, then when powered on, solder melted :)

snipper_cr
08-12-2005, 08:28 PM
See thats what worries me, especially with such a heavy peltier such as this.

I am going to try it soon and hopefully i can get it. I dont always have the best of luck with soldering delicate components though...

Butcher_
08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
my pelts have been repaired mostly with hi-temp solder.
when i used normal solder, then when powered on, solder melted :)
Um, your joint was probably inadequate if it got that hot.

caater
08-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Um, your joint was probably inadequate if it got that hot.
yup, it was fixed later on and worked like a charm.
until it broke from a little deeper inside a few days ago.
attempts to solder it back have failed, it goes down to 4C with 25C water and that's it. before it went down to ~-14C with that kind of water..
nm, gonna shop for that 320w pelt now, first thing is to seal whose wires firmly so they don't come off again..

snipper_cr
09-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Would anyone be willing to try repairing it for me? I cant seem to do it... i would ship it to them, on confirmation i would send the money to pay shipment (plus work comprensation...).

Let me know if you are willing.