PDA

View Full Version : Audigy 2

ZiRo
07-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Are these soundcards really that good?

I don't understand how a soundcard can really yield that much difference between models.

I'm currently on an SB Live! 24bit - would an audigy be worth the money?

Reflex1
07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
the improvement cant really be heard unless you have some nice speakers. i got a audigy 2 ...very nice, but i only bought it cuz my old mobo didnt support 5.1 ...when i got 5.1 speakers...

but now i got a DFI NF4 ...im wondering which is better the onboard sound or the audigy2 :confused: i might have to test both out...

Disposibleteen
07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
The difference will only be noticable a little bit and will be attributed to the noise from the motherboard interfering with the onboard sounds chip. Putting the chip on a riser card like the audigy 2 moves it away from the electrical noise of the mobo and thus decreases interference. However some mobo manufacturers have placed their traces so well in comparison with the sound chip that the difference is hardly noticeable.

ZiRo
07-26-2005, 07:52 AM
I was thinking more about SB Live - Audigy 2 comparison but there you go..

twiggy
07-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Depends on what you use it for. For games, I'd say you'd be able notice the diff.

I used to use soundstorm(which was pretty damn good) then upgraded to an Audigy2 and in games I could tell the diff like night and day but when it came to music/media the soundstorm sounded much better and cleared/cleaner(maybe cause of the optical outputs?).

I use Logitech z680's for speakers tho.:D

DrJay
08-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Doesn't the Live 24-bit card use the audigy-2 chip?