PDA

View Full Version : raster 2 vector

Suchan271
07-23-2005, 03:32 PM
I've been spending spare time trying to get a method down to convert raster images to vector images without losing tons of detail and still give it the "comic-like" appearance.

I know that this isn't something that can be easily automated as each photo is unique. So instead, I'm throwing it to the forum to see what other people have accomplished in this area in the hopes that we can possibly create an "action" that will basically handle this task.

Here is an example of what I've been working with:

They don't look too bad, but there is just something missing that I can't put my finger on..

I've tried variations on the blur, despeckling after process, etc. I think I just need another perspective.

einCe
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
trust me on this i've tried if theres a way to do this in all my time i havent found a way. BUT i know how to do this
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1028/red22df.jpg

desaturate your layer, copy it, invert the second layer, set it to linear dodge, gaussian blur 4-15 depending on the picture

Suchan271
07-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Yup pencils, inks and the like are quite simple for sure but I'll be damned if I can't figure out a way to automate a "cell map" of a photo.

MY BATTLE IS NOT OVER! :)

I'll keep posting my results here.

Suchan271
07-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Do you think that the amount of vector layers is the issue?

Suchan271
07-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I can extract a reasonably decent cell-map automatically as per:

but I'm still a little stumped as to how I can make it a little more all-encompassing...

I think that I may have to create another "action" to sort out the eyes and highlights, hopefully creating a 2-stage process that will end my obsession.

<fingers crossed>

einCe
07-23-2005, 06:12 PM
for it to look decent i would use illustrator to actually vector the image, in photoshop...lots and lots of brushing. this job aint easy, im not even up to it

Suchan271
07-23-2005, 07:34 PM
No doubt it's a daunting task. I mapped myself with photoshop and the results were passable, thus explains my compulsion to automate the process.

It was that game XIII that started me off on it, and I've been on a mission ever since.

:)

Suchan271
07-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone.

I'm sure that this is a dead thread, so I'm going to delete my photos to save some online space.

I don't suppose that a moderator could bin this thread, assuming that noone else has a beef with that??

Thanks