PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, does anyone have time to teach me how to vmodd? :)

PlatoonSgtElias
07-23-2005, 01:49 AM
So i really am facinated by volt modds... my friend does some expert volt modding... my 7800GTX is coming on monday and that gonna be modded on wednesday... on friday there is a OC competiton here at Estonia prizes and all... Gigabyte sent some good stuff there also :P

So i would like to know what u guys mean by 100k ohms and so on... why cannot it be 50k ohm or so.. and would like to know everything bout vmodding.. i have a Inno3D FX5200 to practice on :P and many more old cards like that.
Would be really greatful for the person who helpes me understand all the pits and pieces of volt modding.

twilius_basic
07-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Well I'm sure some other more experienced peeps will fill you in with more info ;) but I'll try and help a little. "Ohms" is the name for resistance..... so when someone says a "10K VR" they are talking about a Variable Resistor that has a maximum rating of ~10,000 Ohms. VR's are also called Cermets, Pots (short for Potentiometer), Trimpots, diff names like that.
Usually you hook up the vmod at a certain point and it will bleed off a certain amount of voltage (depending on what it is set to).... this fools a regulator chip (or something) into thinking it is not keeping the voltage at the correct value, so it overcompensates, thus increasing voltage beyond normal value.

Here are a couple soldering/vmodding guides to help start:

VR-Zone (http://vr-zone.com/index.cgi?i=757&s=1)
ExtremeOverclocking (http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/Soldering_Guide_1.html)

I hope some of that was helpful but I gotta run :) Laters, and good luck :toast:

IYP
08-01-2005, 07:36 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67494

that should be all you need to vmod a GTX

***Deimos***
08-28-2005, 03:10 PM
My personal opinion is that if you dont know exactly what a potentiometer is, which way to hook up di-electric capacitors, how to reduce an emiiter follower configuration biased by single DC source using voltage divider to its thevenin equivalent, know how negetive feedback works, and applies to ocillators and voltage regulators (and this is just the freshman easy stuff), then perhaps volt moding is best left to a "friend" who might have better background into the concequences of what they're doing.

[XC] leviathan18
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
or just read a physics book and learn :P

Jack
08-29-2005, 02:32 AM
i might be a good idea to pick up a dead mobo or something for cheap to practise smd soldering :)
That way you wont kill any (expensive) hardware

***Deimos***
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
i might be a good idea to pick up a dead mobo or something for cheap to practise smd soldering :)
That way you wont kill any (expensive) hardware

definetly

I like to use old modems because they have larger SMC.

LikwidKool
08-30-2005, 09:48 PM
My personal opinion is that if you dont know exactly what a potentiometer is, which way to hook up di-electric capacitors, how to reduce an emiiter follower configuration biased by single DC source using voltage divider to its thevenin equivalent, know how negetive feedback works, and applies to ocillators and voltage regulators (and this is just the freshman easy stuff), then perhaps volt moding is best left to a "friend" who might have better background into the concequences of what they're doing.

I have no idea what most of that means to be honest, but I have volt modded many a motherboard and video card. I don't know how to figure out the vmods from scratch, but Give me a guide and I am off an running. I have a nice little kit here too with all different resistance pots, wires and my trusty radio shack iron's;)

I just personally think anyone with any skill around computers can learn through practice.

Then again this is not to say what you stated in your post is not extrmemely useful and worth learning.

Darkfold
09-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Practice first! you really dont want to go head first into a 7800 :D they cost a lot to replace, whereas an old modem is worthless. I use old HDD's for practice on the really small controller parts, but any old circuit board will do (a friend of mine learnt to vmod by changing the spin speed of his washing machine and the temperature of his toaster)

twiggy
09-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I have no idea what most of that means to be honest, but I have volt modded many a motherboard and video card. I don't know how to figure out the vmods from scratch, but Give me a guide and I am off an running. I have a nice little kit here too with all different resistance pots, wires and my trusty radio shack iron's;)

LOL! Same here. I have volt modded everything from a KR7 to a An50r, a GF2 to a x800xl, many many PSU's, plenty exp. with phase change and H20. Still no clue on half the stuff Deimos said. :hehe:

Guides are great! I just used to just wait on DDTUNG. IMO all you need to do v-mods is XS and good soldering skills.:D

CaTalyst.X
09-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Same here, i know a good bit about electronics, but most ppl think i have some fancy degree, and half the time people ask me for help i wonder what the hell they just said, and if in fact it was even english ;)

-CaT

***Deimos***
09-04-2005, 01:16 AM
just in case, basics you should have firm grasp on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

so, if all this time you were wondering why the first turn on pot doesnt change resistance as much as last (or visa versa), now you know... its because its type "A" (logarithmic) - so becareful not to get into the "only one more turn" mentality.