PDA

View Full Version : 400GB Seagate not recognized in Windows

Vapor
07-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Just finally putting my system in it's complete form together (i.e., not on a benchmarking stand) and my 400GB Seagate isn't being recognized in Windows Explorer. I've tried both SATA chips (nF and SiL) on the NF4 and they both recognize it fine...I've tried putting it into a JBOD config on both controllers, nothing.

The JBOD configs are even recognized in Device Manager, but still nothing in Explorer.

Daveb2012
07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
thats odd what os and fs are you using?

Judaeus Apella
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Windows XP will not recognize larger hard drives over 137GB, unless it has Service Pack 1 or higher. You also need to patch WinXP using a utility you can download from the company who made your hard drive. After you upgrade windows and install the upgrade, you will then need to download another utility by the same company, which will create a bootable floppy you need to use to format and partition the drive. When you make the floppy, restart your pc with the floppy in the floppy drive, and follow the instructions. After formating and partitioning your drive, restart your system.

Before you begin, also make sure you've either set the jumpers on your drive correctly, or take them out.

Vapor
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I have XP SP2 and use NTFS and my Hitachi 250GB works perfectly fine. I checked Seagate's website and there wasn't anything for this.

Vapor
07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I also took it out of JBOD and it's recognized very well in Device Manager....this is probably something really stupid on my part.

Judaeus Apella
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I had this problem yesterday with a Western Digital. I updated the instructions I posted above.

Vapor
07-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Alright, I read them...went to Seagate nothing there. Anyway, I saw that they had a partitionmagic-like program for download. So I started up Partition Magic and reformatted (I always use the XP Install CD to format out of habit) and it worked. Is there any reason why the XP Install CD Format wouldn't work? Cos it didn't.

Turok
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Alright, I read them...went to Seagate nothing there. Anyway, I saw that they had a partitionmagic-like program for download. So I started up Partition Magic and reformatted (I always use the XP Install CD to format out of habit) and it worked. Is there any reason why the XP Install CD Format wouldn't work? Cos it didn't.

Did you set up the jumpers right on your HDDs?
Sometimes "Cable Select" wont work, so you may have to set up "Slave" and "Master" manually with the jumpers.

IYP
07-22-2005, 11:58 AM
does SATA still use jumpers....no?....or does it....hmm havent had an SATA HD yet

Vapor
07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
My Raptors have jumpers, never touched them. This doesn't have any jumpers though. Anyway, it works now...just wondering why a format from the XP CD didn't do it for it? (PartitionMagic even said it was NTFS formatted!)

[XC] leviathan18
07-22-2005, 01:55 PM
LOL easy is new true???? format the HDD xD lol

DZVlad
07-22-2005, 04:07 PM
SATA drives, even if they have jumpers, they don't need them. I think those are just for some manufacturing (maybe testing/service center) reasons, that end users shouldn't care about.

[XC] leviathan18
07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
if you add the HDD after installing window you will have to run the cd and create format for it believeme that is the answer to your problems i had the same issue device manager told me the HDD was there everything fine but the explorer didnt show it

a friend told me you idiot format the HDD and i was lol im so noob

Vapor
07-22-2005, 08:46 PM
if you add the HDD after installing window you will have to run the cd and create format for it believeme that is the answer to your problems i had the same issue device manager told me the HDD was there everything fine but the explorer didnt show it

a friend told me you idiot format the HDD and i was lol im so noob
As I said....I formatted with the XP CD when I first installed it, Explorer didn't recognize it. Partition Magic DID recognize it as an NTFS formatted drive, however. I decided I might as well reformat with PM (it takes what, 3 seconds?) and it somehow worked...drive is wicked slow though, gotta figure that one out.

[XC] leviathan18
07-23-2005, 06:25 AM
so maybe came bad you should rma it

fareastgq
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
u have to use the formatting prog from seagate, u don't have to use one for 400 gigs, just find an updated one on their site for formatting drives. xp formatting will not work on some drives (though I wish it did, would make things a hell of alot easier). Anyway, the floppy is your friend, u will need it, I will never get rid of it and my NON usb mouse/kb :)

DZVlad
07-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Partition Magic works for fine for all the drives and there is no difference in using Seagate tools or PM. You should try deleting the partition and making a new PRIMARY (not the other crap, don't remember what it's called) partition. And, try splitting it into something at most 300GB+smthing else.

Btw, WHAT do you call wicked slow?

Ugly n Grey
07-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Try changing the drive in BIOS from CHS or auto to large....