PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Surge Protection features should I look for?

Judaeus Apella
07-22-2005, 12:43 AM
I've decided to buy a new Surge Protector to protect my new investment, but I'm seeing stuff I didn't see back in the day.... when I was younger and didn't think to look at these kindes of things, like 5 minute power outage batteries, Maximum Spike Amperage, EMI/RFI Noise Filters, H-N, N-G and H-G Protection Modes, AC Suppression Joule Rating, Cable (Coaxil) Modem Surge Protection, etc.

What is this stuff, and what's most important? Also can anyone recommend any particular products?

I've also noticed that some of these companies warrenty your gear for up to a certain amount. How does that work? Is it just bull or legit? Is there a lot of red tape to go through if you end up taking them up on that warrenty, or do they really follow up if something happens?

zinff
07-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Belkin hasn't let me down yet. Plus the old cupon code of 12345 may still work as well. It is a promotional "Friends of Belkin" cupon for 50% off all orders. I picked up 3 of their enterprise 1500va series UPSs for around $340 shipped. I have not had problem 1 out of them in 4-5 months so far.

As for the replacement, i have not personally but have had a client go through the replacement procedure with a competitor of Belkin and he said it was not very hard, but it took him 3 months to get his stuff replaced.

.sentinel
07-22-2005, 07:28 AM
I personally would spend the extra bucks on a good UPS. It would incase ob a blackout give you enough time to shut down you pc and It would be just as good as a surge protector.

Judaeus Apella
07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
I'll... look at the prices.

Turok
07-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Im using this for my PC
BELKIN The Isolator 8 Outlets (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812120208)

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/12-120-208-05.JPG

It filters power, protects your stuff, and has a "Unlimited Connected Equipment Warranty" for hardware up to (I THINK) $25k (This means they pay for your PC if lightning strikes and it doesnt work and your PC dies)

Has been nice with me. Ive had several temporary blackouts lately, and its been working fine. Sometimes if my power blackouts for a sec, my PC still runs and the other components turn off.
I do see a bit of a power loss if it takes some mili-seconds longer, but my PC doesnt crash and as the power recovers it goes back to stability.
I only see the speakers and leds fade out a bit and then they go up again if the power loss is like a sec.

I got this over the Monster Cable power surges because they are a bit expensive and hard to find if you want something simple just to filter and protect your power. You would need one of those home theater versions that cost more than $100