PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS on PC?

0range
07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Would it be possible to have the MAC OS on a P4 PC?

Charles Wirth
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
No, there is programs to make it look like OS X but its not the same.

Apple has put on firmware that OS X looks for on the new systems so that OS X only is loadable on Apple machines. Maybe in time someone will figure out how to break the code but until then Apple OS is its signature and Jobs believes that the OS should not be loaded on other machines.

0range
07-21-2005, 04:44 PM
aww yeah i sorta have an mac look goin on, i tried, heres a screen shot...but its too big....anyone kno where i can get the MAC skin for XP?

jkabaseball
07-21-2005, 05:32 PM
there is pear pc, that emulates OS X on a PC. That is as close as you are going to get right now. I have been looking into the OS X86 (intel OS X) they have the text version working IIRC, but the graphics is still shaky, its hard to get the correct drivers since there are only a few developers machines and only one set of hardware, so the only graphics is the intel internal grpahics. And even that isn't working right. In time it will work, but right now there are no graphics support for 99.9% of cards, and the only CPU supported is the P4 and I believe the 915 or 925 chipsets. IE, that 6800 on the 955x, yea, not even worth it.

That special "firmware" FUGGER is talking about has eitherbeen cracked already, or it isn't in the developers edition of the OS X86. If you just google pear pc you will find a few different forums and people there are working on it. I guess at the PC version is missing a few files and people are trying to port over the MAC versions of the.

hey, i think I just uped fugger with this answer.

IYP
07-21-2005, 08:15 PM
its a completly diffrent architecture....as of now at least....as soon as OSX x86 hits retail that will be a diffrent story....almost 100% sure that there is no special firmware that prevents you from instaling it on other computers its just the diffrences in the hardware that make it un-runnable on x86 platforms as of now

BrokenWall
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
as quoted by macinsider, the new intel macs have an extra chip on the mobo that OSX detects, they have found that it will be posible to change this using a dongle of some sort or even a PCI card.

ricercar
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
I've run a freeware emulator called Fusion that runs MacOS 8 and 9 if you have a ROM file for a 68040 Macintosh. Looks really wonky to boot MacOS full-screen on a ThinkPad.

However, this is nothing like running the new developer version of Intel MacOS X.

red_dragon
07-22-2005, 02:15 AM
mmm interesting...mac on pc...nah I hate macs anyway. :)

Ugly n Grey
07-22-2005, 05:57 AM
OS X was built from the start to work on x86, Jobs indicated that the last demo he did for the server edition was in fact running on Intel and not PowerPC.
MAC has taken steps to ensure the OS will not load on non-apple hardware and Jobs has indicated he does not WANT to sell just an OS. Considering the Apple dependancy on Microsoft for mainstream business applications (Microsoft is the largest developer of MAC apps), it would be foolish to do so. As well, there is no indication that the Microsoft strangle hold on the desktop OS side is breachable, it would be good marketing dollars down the tubes, according to Jobs. Relevant Google searches produce all these facts from the horses mouth. Take it for what it is worth.

But in the strictest sense of the question, MAC OS X works on x86 PC's just fine, they just happen to be Apple PC's.

antipop
07-23-2005, 02:54 PM
OSX is based on Job's previous project "Next" which was running on x86.
For the foreseeable future, mac will still be mac's even if they're not running a PPC. SO don't expect to run OSX on a pc anytime soon.
In some kind of way, i like it like that. If OSX would be available on pc that would mean the end of apple hardware. Apple is very innovative on hardware and it has the best looking comp out there. I'm using a PB and i can't find a laptop that is has nice as mine

Vapor
07-23-2005, 03:50 PM
How is that the end of Apple Hardware? They'd just need to be extremely aggressive and smart (easier said than done, I know) to make Dell lose some market share. If they keep debuting products that are as trendy as they are now, people WILL buy them.

Anyway, I'm 100% sure that OS X will have teething problems on non-Apple PCs when it is cracked (or just not protected), so driver makers will have to be very busy. Imagine: OSX, Vista, Vista x64 and XP64 all needing new drivers around the same time...that's a lot of work and you better believe OSX will be put on the backburner (probably ahead of XP64 though...).

So while we may have OSX for our PCs (w/o buying a Mac) in the approximate time it's available for the legit Macs, it won't be FULLY functional for quite some time, I'm sure.

antipop
07-23-2005, 11:00 PM
They can't compete with Dell or even Sony. They don't have the size for it. The first reason to buy a mac is still because of OSX (in my case it was because the PB looked awesome).

Ashe
07-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Nobody of you got one of the x86 MAC engineer-sample? ;)

i think Dothan + MAC OS would be great for a nb

mr-white
07-24-2005, 08:49 AM
i use Flyakite OS X (http://www.osx-e.com/downloads/misc/flyakite_osx.html)

MW

antipop
07-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Nobody of you got one of the x86 MAC engineer-sample? ;)

i think Dothan + MAC OS would be great for a nb
Nope you have to be an ADC premium member (something like a 1000$ a year) plus you have to pay a 1000$ more for the lease of the machine. Anyway there is not much to see, it's a p4 with osX (which can't be installed on a regular pc)

antipop
07-24-2005, 02:29 PM
i use Flyakite OS X (http://www.osx-e.com/downloads/misc/flyakite_osx.html)

MW
That"s nothing more than a skin, you don't have the feeling nor all the goodies that are in the real osx (like expose or spotlight)

mr-white
07-24-2005, 03:37 PM
That"s nothing more than a skin, you don't have the feeling nor all the goodies that are in the real osx (like expose or spotlight)

yeah i know plus it uses a lot of resources, i wont be installing it again after the format

MW

einCe
07-25-2005, 06:19 AM
Apple has put on firmware that OS X looks for on the new systems so that OS X only is loadable on Apple machines. Maybe in time someone will figure out how to break the code but until then Apple OS is its signature and Jobs believes that the OS should not be loaded on other machines.you can put osx on your xbox tho, how does that make sense. if you want a link youll have to pm me for obvious reasons

[XC] moddolicous
07-25-2005, 06:41 AM
you can put osx on your xbox tho, how does that make sense. if you want a link youll have to pm me for obvious reasons
Are u sure u arent thinking of Linux. I never heard of Mac though. Might be worth a try when Xbox 360 comes out to see if that works.

antipop
07-25-2005, 07:04 AM
I'd love to see a link because i never heard of that so far. To me osX runs solely on macs!
So maybe you can give us more info about it

IYP
07-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Are u sure u arent thinking of Linux. I never heard of Mac though. Might be worth a try when Xbox 360 comes out to see if that works.

no OSX actualy went on an Xbox...they installed linux first and then installed OSX ontop of that....ran like a slug but it was on there

einCe
07-25-2005, 03:39 PM
if you want a link pm me

antipop
07-26-2005, 12:55 AM
I pm'ed you but i googled it nad it appears that :
you mod the xbox
you install pear pc and then os x. Pear pc being an emulator of a PPC so there's no big feat here.

W0nderb0y
07-27-2005, 08:47 PM
google pear pc. its around 15 times slower or something, i havent tried it yet.

the_new_guy
07-28-2005, 12:43 AM
edonkey has mac os x tiger for X 86

antipop
07-28-2005, 01:18 AM
edonkey has mac os x tiger for X 86
Old news : it's a fake, dl it and check with a textpad it's the same text repeated thousands of times (some group i forgot the name)

masterofpuppets
07-28-2005, 07:17 PM
PearPC is a nice toy. It's nothing X(tremely lame)-Box specific. It will run on most modern Unix-compatible systems, including GNU/Linux, GNU/Hurd, and some real Unix probably too. It's nothing special, vmware and bochs can emulate x86 pretty easily, I'm not sure how harder PPC is to emulate though.

Obi
08-20-2005, 12:22 AM
well I've read a bit lately and it seems that a few ppl have managed to get the new OS tiger to run on normal x86 processors (with SSE3)

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2005-08-10#4352

and

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/12/HNpiratedmacos_1.html

just search on google and there are a few other place where I've seen it (with screen shots and video).

there was even a fairly indepth guide as how to install it and set your pc up to use it etc....

insane

antipop
08-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Indeed since Apple has send machine running with a pentium, hackers have been trying to make it work on a regular pc. And they succeeded a week ago. It's still a bit hard to install it but then it's just like the ppc version (there might still be some bugs and crash due to unsupported hardware)

eddieate
08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
if it works on an intel system shouldnt it be AMD Compatible?
it is just the 'x86' version not the 'intel' version after all
/Ed

antipop
08-20-2005, 10:37 AM
No because it needs SS3 to work, without it it won't boot. But some hackers have found a turnaround to make it work without SS3

[XC] moddolicous
08-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Wasnt OS X 64-bit?????? I thought that it was, so technically, with a little tweaking, shouldnt it work with like an fx or ANY 64-bit cpu? FX-57 @ 3.5 + OS X = :slobber: :slobber:

eddieate
08-20-2005, 12:30 PM
was that aimed at me antipop? venices have SSE3 and from what I under stand you can make it
run without SSE3 but if you want to run any apps that used the PowerPC's velocity engine than you needed SSE3...
/Ed

antipop
08-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes that was aimed at you :)
I don't know the detail but i think you can easily find more details on the web
SSE3 is needed for boot but people have bypassed it, i think that it's needed to make run rosetta other than that i don't know

MaxxxRacer
08-21-2005, 05:54 AM
No talk of warez guys...

antipop
08-21-2005, 06:17 AM
That's a risky subject and i'll make sure no link are posted and that no specific are given. (no pics or vid also)
I think we need to stick on what's do-able and what's not without any details. Is that ok with the rules maxxx?

eddieate
08-21-2005, 02:05 PM
its not illegal if i already own OSX tiger is it?
/Ed

antipop
08-21-2005, 02:48 PM
its not illegal if i already own OSX tiger is it?
/Ed
Yes it is. You own Tiger PPC, we're talking about Tiger x86 which is only available to ADC members and who signed a NDA so in anyway it's illegal

Ugly n Grey
08-22-2005, 05:13 AM
If you read the license agreement, MAC OS is only legal to run on MAC hardware...period....

antipop
08-22-2005, 06:21 AM
If you read the license agreement, MAC OS is only legal to run on MAC hardware...period....
Moreover there is a NDA on Tiger x86, i don't think apple is happy to see what's going on with this hack

Ugly n Grey
08-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Correct. Jobs lawyers are making a lot of money chasing down sites that are posting how to guides etc... Microsoft has been quoted as saying "WTF" and Intel has happily agreed to build a state of the art Trusted computing chip to form a two way trust, such that you would have to break the OS (totally rebuild the kernel) and the hardware to bypass it.

In this scenario, nothing would run except a trusted OS with intact libraries. This would also preclude running Linux on your MAC PC's unless they open the source to the chip. They are also struggling with letting peeps dual boot OSX and Winblows, M$ has indicated early on they are not interested in writing code just to support such a trusted chip solution just for Apple. Apple is looking at ways to use forthcoming Trusted computing hardware to help protect them. I have no idea what this entails.

Disclaimer
...The above is all rumour I have picked up from the industry at large, place no faith in anything, none are official statements....

saratoga
08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Wasnt OS X 64-bit?????? I thought that it was, so technically, with a little tweaking, shouldnt it work with like an fx or ANY 64-bit cpu? FX-57 @ 3.5 + OS X = :slobber: :slobber:

Nope, 32 bit. However, all x86-64 processors also run 32 bit OSes (which is why you can run 32 or 64 bit Windows on 64 bit chips).