PDA

View Full Version : got my prometia today

JNav89GT
12-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Trying to place on top of Antec tower(the popular black one).
1) had to cut big hole in mobo tray to accomdate the back side plastic thing to prevent back of mobo condensation b/c otherwise mobo wouldn't fit in case due to clearence issues.
2) fitted the back side and front side plastic rectangle things with the seal string and seemed to go ok. Kinda wonder about the backside though with nothing to hold it down, may prop up something inside of case to create an interference fit. Pretty sure the case they would normally sell with it has standoffs that clear the backside plastic seal chamber, but mine didn't so had to cut out square in back. Put a bunch of extra seal string along the topside one esp around resistors and such and the mobo 4 holes around socket.
3) made template for the holes that would normally hold down the enlight case to drill holes into present case

cordless drill then decided to give up charge

got holes drilled and now need 3 more screws as I only had one metric screw the right size.

excited to get it running

any thoughts or recommendations?

JNav89GT
12-24-2002, 11:45 PM
it's running now
AXP previously on H2O at 2400max is now into windows at 2628 or whatever 12.5x210mhz fsb is. 8RDA+ is being retarded with my Corsair PC3500 though and not recognizing one stick that works in my 8K5A2+ :(

anyway, one concern I have is that on the microfreezer when I took the foam pad off I noticed several "gouges" in the copper. My luck all are on the area that contacts cpu. One measures 2.5mm by 1.5mm. Not sure how deep but the gouge/nick was disruptive enough to cause poor contact with cpu as the copper around that gouge raised the slug off of the surrounding surface. Hope this makes sense and I am trying to describe as best as I can. Also, there is another deeper gouge that is about 2mm by 1mm. Others are deep scratches but nothing like the other 2, but still concern me. I took some 600 grit paper and wet sanded the slug so as the 2 big gouges were no longer "higher" than the other part of slug.

another peev I have is that the mobo power connecter from the prometia unit as "plugged" with crap. Had to disassemble and fix it.

JNav89GT
12-25-2002, 12:23 AM
well monkey'd around with it for about 2-3 hours now. NO matter what I can't get fsb over 200mhz synch. Also my damm PC3500 won't work, either stick now. Thanks Corsair :(

anyway, am kinda happy I am looping 3DMark2001 SE at 15x175mhzfsb=2625 or so mhz at 1.9v. System took 1.925 to 1.95v to be stable at 2.4ghz watercooled. Might be able to get 2.7ghz out of this cpu with a bit more voltage and luck.

Hopefully new bios will emerge allowing all mutlipliers that is for the 8RDA+. There is one that works for the non plus but I am using the sound and I don't wanna lose soundstorm

thanks

Tedinde
12-28-2002, 02:23 PM
JNav, Your all alone!!! just kidding.

So are you happy with it?? Now that it's up and running?

sharpbw
12-28-2002, 09:22 PM
I can't get my 8RDA+ much over 200 like about 204, 206, etc. With the Pc3500 either. <shrug> might to try another board just to see if the memory is really the limit, or if something isn't quiet right with the board.

donny_paycheck
12-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by JNav89GT
got holes drilled and now need 3 more screws as I only had one metric screw the right size.

What thread pitch are the case mounting holes in the Prometeia?

JNav89GT
12-30-2002, 01:55 PM
not sure which thread pitch. The one screw that I have that fits is from a Sea Doo battery post(go figure). I figure it's metric 6mm.

I will get rest at homedepot or something like that.

cgk123
01-11-2003, 03:01 PM
hey dude i think you are not alone in being unable to get the fsb past 200.
according to this reviewer , the mobo needs more V dd and he did the mod and is going to do a rview on it soon.
heres the link;
http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/EPoX/8RDA+/