PDA

View Full Version : Computer just shut off and died.

Reznik Akime
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah, it just shut itself off and died. Too bad I wasnt present for the event. I had just gotten home from school and turned it on to do some crunching, then went to the living area to work on the bike I got this weekend from a friend. About an hour later I come back and see its off. I thought it kinda funny so I pressed the button.. Nothing. Not a damned thing.

No whir of fans or harddrives, no clicking from the DVD drive.. Not a thing. A tad bit worried, I crack open the case and poke around inside. Everything seems connected just fine. I unplug the PSU from the wall, hook it back up, still nothing.

Note the green LED on this Dell motherboard that signifies power is running to the system is ON.

I thought that even funnier. So the psu isnt dead, thats grand. Incase too much power was being pulled, I unplugged everything from the PSU except for the video card since my motherboard dosent have integrated video and hit the button.

Nothing still.

Well, "damn" I thought to myself. I undid the securing bracket that holds down all the pci and agp extensions and picked the computer up to examine it.. when the card shifted and began to make that whine.

This card is a nvidia 6800 NU, but its got that speaker on it that screeches at you when you forget to plug in the extra molex. I thought that even more odd, so I wiggle it. It squeaks on and off.. but it shouldnt be because the system isnt on. it only does it -when the system is on.- Or it should anyway.

I take out the video card.. hit the button.. it works. It turns on. Sadly.. as I said.. ive no integrated video. Thank you Dell! But whats causing this? Could the AGP port just decided to crap out on me? Or the video card? The card wasnt modded at all since it was my brothers and it just had some AS5 on it with an NV5 cooler.

Basically, is there any way to fix this?

IYP
07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
check the card for visible defects and re set it....if not....DELL TECH SUPPORT!! *shudder* lol they should be able to replace it if you complain enough

Reznik Akime
07-19-2005, 03:28 PM
If anythings getting replaced, its the Dell system for a better one. And the card is just fine. Its never given me problems before.. Although the AGP slot has. A slight wiggle to it could make it artifact up some. I would sometimes have to reseat the card to make it not do that. Thats why my money is on the AGP slot.

[XC] leviathan18
07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
just grab your dell go to the dell HQ and burn it in the front LOL and go and buy your self a custom made pc xD :rocker:

Judaeus Apella
07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
LOL. When my parents junked their Dell, I completely disasembled it, even the rivets in the case. I got every part I could use out of that peice of crap. I hated that PC. After only a year of them buying it, I was vacuuming and ran into it accidently, not even that hard and it cracked the front panel into about ten peices. Cheap PVC peice of crap and I got yelled at cause of it! I hate Dell!!!

[XC] leviathan18
07-19-2005, 04:18 PM
LOL. When my parents junked their Dell, I completely disasembled it, even the rivets in the case. I got every part I could use out of that peice of crap. I hated that PC. After only a year of them buying it, I was vacuuming and ran into it accidently, not even that hard and it cracked the front panel into about ten peices. Cheap PVC peice of crap and I got yelled at cause of it! I hate Dell!!!

you and me and every body knows you wanted to kill the dell :stick: LOl

IYP
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
lol i just went ape on my del.....ripped off every damn plastic pannel on it....and anything else that saaid dell....eventualy (after my new rig) imna get a new MoBo PSU and case for it and turn it into a LN2 rig or something.....

IYP
07-19-2005, 06:41 PM
no case if i do do LN2 :p:

red_dragon
07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Did you test out the 6800 NU? I've had one mysteriously die on me before. I left my computer off and unplugged for vacation and when I got back it was dead. Very strange.

Major_A
07-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Sounds to me like the PSU is dead. That little light can stay on even if it's dead.

Reznik Akime
07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Well, I did some more testing and it will run and post and everything without the AGP card in it. If you can get it to post with the card in (Well, It dont really post. It just turns on) it screams at me like a banshee. It does that when it has the extra molex disconncted to let you know that its not drawing enough power..

So that makes me think that the AGP slot may have burnt out or something and isnt supplying enough power, or the card is just messed up because when the PSU is hooked up to the wall and the light is green, if I wiggle the card a bit it sometimes activates the speaker.

..Although when I stick my dead 5700 in it (Its not totally dead. It just dosent put out video to the monitor) it will post just fine and beep at me that it cant find any IDE devices because I got em disconnected.