PDA

View Full Version : XP on two HDD's and duel boot?

Obi
07-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Now I've been trying this out for some time now (past week) and I've read a few really good guides on how to edit your boot.ini, BUT I still get error messages.

Now what I have done is coppied my old HDD's contents from my old 80gig to my new 80gig using the western digital tool. = great all the files and partition are there and are identical on both drives.

The drives are old = primary master
new = primary slave

now after reading many forums and what now, I've read that this is what need to be done in order for it to work, and other have managed to get it working with the following lines.
With one exception, they only had 1 partition on each drive, where as I have 2.

so I have HDD(0) C;D
HDD(1) E;F

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" Seagate XP Pro" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Western Digital Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect

now where the problem comes in is that I get a message telling me that I have some hardware configuration issue after I chose which OS to boot on.

well so I thought lets try make the new drive primary master all by itself and boot from that.... and still no go, get a message saying "error loading OS".

shurly that should have at least worked?
Am I going to have to install windows all over again onto my new drive, an will this fix it?

Is there any one out there that has maybe tried to do this, or know what the problem is. PLEASE PLEASE let me know before I go totally insane and buy mac or something.

cheers

Jonathan