PDA

View Full Version : 2GB RAM vs 4GB RAM

MutantToad
07-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Well, this is the question I asked the guys at techspot, but they didnt elaborate much on it. Anyway, what would give me more performance? 2 gigs or 4 gigs of RAM? The techspot guys said 4 gigs would slow it down. Is this true?

~Toad

Disposibleteen
07-17-2005, 05:15 PM
4 gigs wont slow it down per say but with the added tress on the memory controller you wont be able to oc as much or run as tight of timings that you could with 1 or 2 gigs of ram. That being said i dont think many apps these days will utilize 4gigs of ram well (a few exceptions of course). I would go with 2gb of ram and if you find yourself needing more, go for another 2gb.

MutantToad
07-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Hmmm...
Thanks, I'll go with 2 gigs. Should I use 2x 1GB or 4X 512MB?

~Toad

Judaeus Apella
07-17-2005, 05:30 PM
4x512! Get two packs of twin sticks. I just ordered mushkin Redline. Based on my needs, Liquid3D recommended it to me. I need something for overclocking, gaming, large format digital photo editing, texture design, 3D Modeling, rendering, testing tech demos, level design, and watching movies. He reviews products over at madshrimps and he told me those would be my best choice. Its good quality memory thats great for overclocking, and its going real cheap at Newegg! Its been causing a lot of chatter lately around the forums cause its such a good product. Better jump on it before the price goes back up. :)

Peen
07-17-2005, 10:02 PM
I tried 4x512 on my 865 and it was unstable as hell, but 2x512 worked great and OC'ed great too. Id go with 2x1gb