PDA

View Full Version : NOW i need your helps guys low end server building parts

[XC] leviathan18
07-17-2005, 09:48 AM
i need a low end server powerful enough to run BF2 up to 64 players

i had in mind a opteron 244 or 246

mobo TYAN S2850G2N ATX Server Motherboard

ram CORSAIR 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory two for 1gig

anyone knows if this can handle a dedicated server of bf2 or maybe there is anything cheaper have in mind this is for a organization that make lan parties in my country so we dont have a lot of money to spare we want something that can handle a dedicated server of bf2 for 64 players

Ugly n Grey
07-17-2005, 09:50 AM
I think a 4200 x2 on a cheap s939 with basic RAM would perform nicely..... server grade hardware is expensive

[XC] leviathan18
07-17-2005, 10:05 AM
i thought the same but that is way to overkill for us in price :(

Turok
07-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Since a low end server wont requrie OCing, buy a barebone.
Buying a good barebone can give you almost everything since it has on-board audio, video, and LAN. Some even have wireless integrated.
You pay about $350 and you get audio, video, mobo, case, psu, and cooling.
Then all you have to do is get a good CPU, and a HDD, some value RAM, and you are done.

The good thing of doing this is that latter one waterver you update on your newer PC can go to the barebone to improve it, and you sell what the barebone has to get some money. A nice updating cycle there :)

[XC] leviathan18
07-17-2005, 10:14 AM
we dont care about case or cooling we need psu mobo ram cpu hdd and that is all just the basic to run the server this is almost a dream we have to pay a lot of thing but we want to have a server to run 64 players maps on our lan

Ugly n Grey
07-17-2005, 10:23 AM
So you tell us, what kind of computing power (class) does it take to host this?

Turok
07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
we dont care about case or cooling we need psu mobo ram cpu hdd and that is all just the basic to run the server this is almost a dream we have to pay a lot of thing but we want to have a server to run 64 players maps on our lan

My point is that a barebone is more than enough. It will be cheaper since you dont need to but a mobo, case, CPU cooling, or PSU (unless you have some of that laying arroud). The server will be mroe dependent on CPU, HDD, and bandwith speeds to load things fast and keep things stable.

If you already have a Case, PSU, and cooling, then you can get a DFI nF4 Ultra-D and a good CPU, some value ram for $100, and a HDD SATA II for $60

Turok
07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
My point is that a barebone is more than enough. It will be cheaper since you dont need to buy a mobo, case, CPU cooling, or PSU (unless you have some of that laying arroud). The server will be mroe dependent on CPU, HDD, and bandwith speeds to load things fast and keep things stable.

If you already have a Case, PSU, and cooling, then you can get a DFI nF4 Ultra-D and a good CPU, some value ram for $100, and a HDD SATA II for $60

EDIT: I EDITED AND IT POSTED AGIN :slap: SRY

[XC] leviathan18
07-17-2005, 10:35 AM
linux it requieres proccesor pentium 4 or athlon xp @ 3ghz or opteron 64bits @ 1.8ghz and 1gig of ram

windows the same but they dont say anything about the opteron

Ugly n Grey
07-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Price performance ratio applies then, an older Athlon XP 2700-3000 will give you that horsepower and be cheap cheap cheap to buy. I have a 2700 running a 200 FSB (from stock of 166) on the cheapest air cooler you ever saw and it's a lot faster than a P4 3Ghz..... I stuck in a Gig of OCZ premier because it's cheap standard DDR 400 that looks pretty in it's copper coolers and will sell nicely later.
I'd say 200 bucks US "all in" on an integrated platform with video and LAN included.....You might even get more if you shop carefully

[XC] leviathan18
07-17-2005, 10:50 AM
you had athlon mp server right???? ugly n grey any idea i can get for one dual athlon mp dirty cheap xD damn i dont know what to get really i know if i go athlon xp 3000 or maybe athlon 64 3000 i could spend less but im confussed right now :( never tried to configure a cheap PC LOOOOL

Ugly n Grey
07-17-2005, 10:57 AM
I've had lots of MP servers, I still have lots, hell you can run dual Durons if you want, I'm just saying a SINGLE standard XP is plenty and can be bought cheap. People forgot how far the A's went, they are a strong strong chip. If you check Ebay, you can get an MP mobo around 150ish, you can buy 2200 XP's or Duron's that can be easily modded to MP's for 30 ish or so.....