PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 headphones

pRS317
07-17-2005, 09:24 AM
i've had the zalman headphones for quite some time and have gotten a little benefit from the extra speakers, but have been wondering if any other brand does a better job. the sound differenciation is noticable, but subtle. i think it affects your "intution" more than anything else.

i wouldn't not recommend the headphones, but i wouldn't mind having a set that is better. so if anyone has any experience with other sets, let us know how they're working out for you.

cetoole
07-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Dont get 5.1 headphones, just get a good pair of stereo headphones that have a good soundstage.

k00lance
07-28-2005, 08:43 AM
audiocubes.com <-- place to get your headphones :D

Overconfidence
08-07-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm actually interested in getting some new headphones, and I heard that Medusa headsets are good (and expensive) for 5.1... should I not bother and just get some stereo ones?

cetoole
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Correct, just get some stereo headphones. It depends how much you wanna spend, but there are good headphones in every price range.

One_Hertz
08-13-2005, 04:00 PM
audiocubes.com <-- place to get your headphones :D

I looked at that website and I didnt see any 5.1 headphones. I play fps games very seriously and it is very important for me to tell exactly where noises are coming from so I am guessiing ill need 5.1 for that, correct? if yes what would be the best 5.1 headphones for gaming right now? I am not big on sound quality but that would be nice as well.

Mr. Tinker
08-13-2005, 04:43 PM
There is a great headphone FAQ right here on XS.

One_Hertz
08-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah that was a great headphone FAQ. After eading through it I have narrowed down the choises to two headphones Audiotechnica ATH-A500 and A900. The A900 is 95 bucks more and since I do not understand the specs really I was just wondering if I will notice a big difference between the two. I like to have good sound, for ex I blew 3k into my sound system, but i want the headphones to be purely for gaming. Will A900 give a better sense of direction where the sound is coming from? Right now I have an onboard sound card but thats cahnging as soon as the xi-fi sound cards from creative r coming out. I am probably gona get the platinum one, but maybe the fatality because of the ram thing. Will I need an amp to use these headphones properly?

Appreciate all help since I do not know much about headphones :help:

cetoole
08-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Probably wont need an amp with the A500 and A900, and I dont think the A900 will have much better soundstage than the A500, if it is any better at all. Now, while you dont need an amp with these headphones, an amp does help them sound better.

figgles
08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
i have the speedlink medusa's and they have served me well. audio quality is top notch and makes cs and hl2 alot more engrossing :p:

craig588
08-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Don't touch 5.1 headphones. Get a good stereo pair. Sennheiser makes good stuff, look into their HD6x0 line.

comment
08-19-2005, 11:27 AM
i've had the zalman headphones for quite some time and have gotten a little benefit from the extra speakers, but have been wondering if any other brand does a better job. the sound differenciation is noticable, but subtle. i think it affects your "intution" more than anything else.

i wouldn't not recommend the headphones, but i wouldn't mind having a set that is better. so if anyone has any experience with other sets, let us know how they're working out for you.For whatever you think about uncle tom, here is a review from tomshardware.com (http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050714/index.html).

I've bin satisfied with my PC 150 but haven’t tried the Medusa's yet though.

/comment

KoHaN69
09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
if you want surround headphones

get quadraphonic headphones

ebay:

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/quadraphonic_Consumer-Electronics_W0QQcatrefZC11QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ 1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsacatZ293