PDA

View Full Version : File transfers between HDD's are slow

Ub3r-L33ch
07-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Using an NF7-S. My System Partition is 2x36GB SATA WD Raptors in RAID 0 Setup. I also have 2 IDE drives on in Master/Slave setup on IDE Channel 1. Transfering files between the IDE and SATA drives is very slow. I'm using Windows XP SP2 with all updates. Every driver is up to date, that I know of.

DZVlad
07-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Try putting your IDE drives on different channels or disconnecting one of them and checking the speed! What are the IDE drives (manufacturer and model).

Having two HDDs on one channel and using them simultaneously drops performance dramatically!

And... uhm.. what do you call slow? ;)

Ugly n Grey
07-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, what is the actual hard drive throughput, benchmark....

Ub3r-L33ch
07-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Hm... I dont know if that will matter... how can I benchmark the speed of transfer between my IDE drive to my SATA drive and vise versa?

DZVlad
07-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Use some normal filemanager, such as TotalCommander or at least Frigate and the such. They show copy and move speed! Plus you have to love that DOS-style F5 copy F6 move and F8 delete :)) good old times!

Ugly n Grey
07-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Without numbers there' not much point guessing at what the problem might be. I would guess based on experience that you would get about 47 MB/s sustained write TO the PATA drive and about 56 MB/s same TO the array, because that's about the best the PATA drive can do from a read /write perspective. You're bottleneck is the PATA drive system.

And keep in mind that the array 0 config you are using is all over the map performance wise, you can expect sustained write speeds on large files of only about 77MB/s, not much better than a single SATA II NCQ Hitachi, so don't expect it to scream.

There is LOTS of data out there on these configs.