PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Air or Water?

roybfr
07-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Not sure the best place to ask this but since it's more of a OCing question then a cooling question thought it would be best to do it here.

I have a new setup listed in my sig, had it running on air but have not done much with it interms of OCing due to time and some needed reading. All of my water cooling stuff will be here this weekend and since the mobo is out it would just as easiy to install it from the git go. But since I have been out of OCing since the slot A Cele 300A days I am wondering if it would be best to do all my initial OC testing on air then move to water and see how much further it can go. Just looking for some input. While I would just like to get down to the business of using this box, my inclination would be doing one before the other would be good education wise.

MeltedDuron
07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi, i reccomend that you try to see how far you can go on air first, and then when you have found a 'sweet spot' (you will know when you find it, it is usually just below your highest 100% stable OC, without getting TOO toasty) you fit your watercooling kit, and slowly edge up the mhz until you find i slightly unstable, bump the volts.. you get the idea. And remember to leak test your setup for atleast 24hours, before you install it, because i personaly know what happens when your kit leaks on the mobo and destroys your pride and joy, slowly and painfully. It happened to me once, and it hurts like hell to see all that hard work and money just go like that...

Korpse
07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
usual stages of the OC bug are:
air
water
tec (sometimes)
chillers (sumtimes)
phase

:p:

einCe
07-22-2005, 12:53 PM
cant wat for my new setup soon, getting into the overclocking scene.

Xyus89
07-22-2005, 12:55 PM
hi,
or some people stay on air...
watercooling these days on amd doesn't have much effect because the cpu's are quiet cool.

xyus

Charloz24
07-22-2005, 01:51 PM
hi,
or some people stay on air...
watercooling these days on amd doesn't have much effect because the cpu's are quiet cool.

xyus

Not true anymore with the come of X2 :fact:

MeltedDuron
07-22-2005, 02:10 PM
now all you play careful, we don't want to have to open a san diego cemetary now, and remember my wcing advice...

Jort
07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
wc is always good:)

but question prize/ performance is air still best and will be best :)

Or if you make a darn cheap phase-change it could be more effective,
because you can oc to a 300€ more expensive procc and pay you cooling only 100 or 200 €