PDA

View Full Version : to water or phase?

NeoGeo333
07-12-2005, 08:38 PM
OK, i had it with this hot summer weather, i use to get 2.6ghz on my 3500 Clawhammer and now i cant even do 2.3g. So can anyone recommend me which one to get? I live in Puerto Rico and its a damn hot place, very humid too. Temps avg. in summer is 97 degree!!! and somedays 105!!!. So which one is better? Thanks in advance.

freecableguy
07-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Water follows ambient conditions very closely. I would say phase change if you really want to beat the heat!

CrimeDog
07-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i'm a water to phase convert

n00b 0f l337
07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I realized this a while ago and theres a reason why i'm going phase....

$225-250 for a good cpu/gpu watercooling setup
$300-350 for a good cpu/gpu peltier watercooling setup USING EBAY

For that you can ebay around and get some help for building your own setup... So far I've spent around $250 and I've got pretty much everything when I use propane (r290) for -40c loaded. So hop a few forums down! :)

MadMikeSS
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Big difference with water vs phase/peltier cooler is that you have to prep all your system up to guard against condensation. If you are changing hardware out fairly often this can be a real PITA in my opinion. If you want cool, then phase change is the way to go but the condensation factor steers me away personally.

fareastgq
07-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I like the blingyness of water personally, wet and wild, heh.

MaxxxRacer
07-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Phase if u want to go extreme. but be warned.. high humidity + high heat = unfriendly dew point. in other words you'll get allot of condensation very quickly if you dont insullate well.

water will get you like 5C above ambient. so if its really hot where you are running the computer it wont do so well.

n00b 0f l337
07-13-2005, 07:35 AM
And condensation proofing stears most people away. But it is incredibly easy.

krille
07-13-2005, 07:39 AM
...And incredibly expensive if it fails. You might want to consider noise too.

SlicerSV
07-13-2005, 07:40 AM
i don't want anything to do with insulation. I have an AC in my room that i run at 65 degrees F, so water looks to be just fine.

jinu117
07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
I've burnt numerous components in phase but never in water :P (It is bit hard to restrain yourself from more volts when the temps are just fine)....
Now peltier, I threw that out of equation for long time. If you have problem with hot ambient temp, I don't think you want to add another 3-4c for the ambient with inefficient cooling method... (typically 400-500w room heater for CPU + GPU setup).
Think i am jumping back into phase change but watercooling do have many merits I like. Time to grab spare DFI NF4 Ultra D so I am ready for another burn't out mobo.

NeoGeo333
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
OK, so phase it is, now i gotta msg chilli1 and find a good starter kit. Anyway guys, when u say insulation and condensation is it really that bad with hot ambient temp? Will a good application of a non-conductive paint on the motherboard and and a good wrap of neoprane around the cpu will fix it?

MaxxxRacer
07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
reggie (chilly1) has guides in the phase section on how to put the insullation. check them out.

HawainPanda
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
lol, that's not hot at all...are you kidding? tucson is like 110, yeah it sucks....:P

phase change will cost more also, and seeing how your in Puerto Rico, shipping stuff back and forth(repairs or watever) will kill you :P unless you do it yourself. I would recommend that...its way funner to make one yourself. Also, well at least to me, phasechange is not a 24/7 rig...maybe only when you want to bench, but even then if it is your 24/7 or 12/7...expect to get a big electricity bill. I'm guessing you'll be wanting to cool a 24/7 rig so you should go with water and buy a small a/c unit to cool ambient temp

Activate: AMD
07-13-2005, 06:41 PM
a room A/C unit will still kill your electricity bill.. maybe you could make a waterchiller out of the ac unit :D

GuGaCoSa
07-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Just make a nice chiller and use a thermostat to control your secondary fluid temps,that way you can use temps close to ambient in 24/7 and when you want low temps you just adjust the termostat

jinu117
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
OK, so phase it is, now i gotta msg chilli1 and find a good starter kit. Anyway guys, when u say insulation and condensation is it really that bad with hot ambient temp? Will a good application of a non-conductive paint on the motherboard and and a good wrap of neoprane around the cpu will fix it?

To be honest in single phase setup... even for 24x7 usage good quality neoprene does job well and rarely will get any condensation. New type of blocks (chilly's PC ICE's baker's) mounting takes this into consideration well from what I've seen and have nice matching insulation...
For the extra precaution it is good idea to have slow turning fan where evap head is to blow off any moisture that forms on evap though.

n00b 0f l337
07-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah like an 80mm fan sitting on the mounting pegs (for lga775 it fits perfect) and blowing down cools ur ram and removes moisture.

Peen
07-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Beware of chillers though, if you think your room is hot at 100f, try it with a chiller. You HAVE to put the AC in a window or your room will be like 120+
I couldnt put mine in window, because we have nice house and my room is in front so it looks REALLY lame lol. Just curious though, for DD phase change, do the units put out a ton of heat and raise ambient temp much?

MaxxxRacer
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
DD will do the same peen. you take the energy it takes to run the unit and the energy that ur cpu puts out. combine those and thats the heat you get in the room.

Peen
07-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I know, but I wouldnt think it would be AS much as chiller. Just kinda wondering by how much though. I mean , a chiller has to cool alot more and has much bigger evap. Sometime I want to go DD but scared about the heat output because thats why I quit doing chillers

NeoGeo333
07-13-2005, 08:52 PM
damn it damn it damn it, now that you guys saying that phase can raise ambient temp and given its already hot in here i need to turn on the a/c and the room that the a/c is its a 36,000btu a/c!!!=$$$$$ elect. bill. I have been thinking lately that what if I get a good water setup and get me one of those mini fridge to cut a hole through and put either the radiator or a res. what do you guys think of that?

fareastgq
07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
damn it damn it damn it, now that you guys saying that phase can raise ambient temp and given its already hot in here i need to turn on the a/c and the room that the a/c is its a 36,000btu a/c!!!=$$$$$ elect. bill. I have been thinking lately that what if I get a good water setup and get me one of those mini fridge to cut a hole through and put either the radiator or a res. what do you guys think of that?

better get my setup then, hehe.

jinu117
07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
That min fridg will not work. DD definitely is cooler than petlier setup though :P (more efficient). I would think chillers are not quite as efficient as DD for same temp due to the nature of it but not by too much. It will raise the ambient temp up by 1-2c in typical room with doors open :) About 2-3c around computer unless it is sitting away from everything to let air move very well.

HawainPanda
07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
lol, Activate: AMD, don't you realize that an A/C ISN"T ALWAYS ON?

with a phase change on a cpu, it has to constantly continuously compress the gas, an A/C is only on when the temp gets too high

MaxxxRacer
07-13-2005, 11:28 PM
peen you have to remember the first rule of thermodyanmics. energy can neither be created nor destoryed. it has to go somwhere. in this case most of it goes as heat. some of it goes into work, but most of it is heat.

texuspete00
07-14-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm thinking of building a duct to come off the back of my prometia.

My room is already hot but I got the windows that go sideways. I think I might get something like this too..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16896101423#DetailSpecs

It has a ducting system, I would probably add another hole to the window pieces and have another duct.

Anyways thats what im thinking. A duct is a decent option, AC just a side comment. Also though, if it's a 100F in his room, I doubt an AC or anything is running. With the windows and stuff wide open it's not going to raise temps incredibly, without the convection effect of being sealed off (I dunno, maybe my windows are just HUGE). You can either take the every little bit helps approach or the screw it, it's already hot as ballz anyways approach.