PDA

View Full Version : best chip to hit 3Ghz

enhanced08
07-12-2005, 01:39 PM
hello everyone, i'm new here and hope that you all can help me. i have been into computer for a few years now and have built a 4Ghz intel system. now, being an AMD fan, i want a 3ghz AMD system but i have no idea what chip to use to get the 3Ghz. i was thinking a Venice core as i heard the 3000+ vennice can reach 3Ghz but then i also heard the 3700+ San Diego would be a better choice because of more cache. what do you all think?

btw, i didn't plan on any extreme cooling, nothing more than water or maybe a pelt system.

thanks!!

haPpydUde
07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
37+ sandy on water should be an ez 3g if you get a decent clocker. Nothing is certain, oh and btw welcome to xtreme :toast:

mcnbns
07-12-2005, 01:53 PM
I think that these questions could be solved with a little poking and searching, and some poking around in the AMD section (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58).

I apologize for the harsh reply to your first post, but I hate seeing threads posted about things that are already answered.

Having said that, I would look into a 3700+ San Diego. Some members have been getting pretty impressive results on single stage phase change cooling. I think expecting 3GHz on water is a little much. 2.9GHz is fairly easy and but 3GHz is possible, just pushing it a bit.

:welcome: to XS, and enjoy your stay!

EDIT: I am an ass. I thought this was in Xtreme Overclocking, not Xtreme OC Q&A. :slap: :slap:

Kunaak
07-12-2005, 01:53 PM
first off, welcome.

second...

I would look at 2 routes.
if you have enough to get a 3700, you might look at another option.

buy 2 Venice 3000's.
sounds strange, but your chances of getting a good one, aren't too bad these days, especially with 2.
get 2, keep the better one, sell the other one.
2.8 ghz or more with those is pretty common these days, with people occassionally hitting 3 ghz from them without much cooling at all, other then maybe water.

if you got the cash to spend, a san diego 3700 is hard to go wrong with, but by no means is it a garaunteed 3 ghz either.
plus, it comes down to a simple question, is $200 more, worth it, to have that 1 meg cache?

either way, I would look into a 3000, or 3700.
thats just me though.

Poki
07-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Hello there enhanced08 welcome to XS :toast:
That's really a tough question you have there. If you went with a venice it can be pretty hard running 3ghz with a 9 multi chip at 333HTT without some kind of problems. I would suggest the 3200 venice simply for the 10 multiplier but buying/testing 3000's might be the only real way to get to that 3ghz barrier. No doubt the SD3700's look very good too but without extreme cooling you'll prolly not get much over 2800MHz... I was planning on getting one when the revision E's came out but i didn't have the funds at the time.
Prolly not much help but those are my thoughts anyways... If you have time to test CPU's for overclock 3000's are alotta cheap fun but you may have to buy and sell a few... Maybe you could find someone selling a good clocking 3200 venice and that would save you alotta trouble.

NickS
07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I wld get the 3200+ Venice too, 2 of them if posible. Then you can hit 300HTT 1/1 w/G.Skill LE's (TCCD) and be rockin @ 3GHz.

enhanced08
07-14-2005, 06:17 PM
ok thanks guys!