PDA

View Full Version : PS2 audio

amd4me
07-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys know how to get the audio tracks off of a ps2 disc.
if this is in the wrong section I apologize.

mcnbns
07-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Check this site out:
MFAudio seems to be the closest to what you're saying...
http://www.megagames.com/ps2/ps2_utils_audio.shtml

This site has some interesting info regarding extracting GTA3 radio stations, so that might be useful (mentions MFAudio again):
http://members.lycos.co.uk/ripperoo/gta3/gta3-extract.htm

The power of Google, baby! Hope those links help. :)

craig588
07-11-2005, 11:37 PM
The most reliable way to rip tracks from a console is to set the internal music volume to the max and any other sounds the the minimum and hook the output on the console to the input on your recording device. (Sound card, mixer, cassette/cd/dvd recorder, toaster audio editing box, or whatever else you can think of)Then just go to the place you want to record and don't touch any buttons.

Reznik Akime
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
That didnt work too well with me. I ripped all of the songs from Guilty Gear XX with the sound test in the options menu and it all sounds kinda washed out and dull even though I made sure to use the best settings with that creative media center program. Maybe I need to try a diffrent program.

Oh, and the program I used to rip songs from discs (Havent tried it with GG though) was BGM2WAV. So long as the song isnt sequenced, you can rip it.

craig588
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Well, you were using a creative product. It probably came from their crapppy hardware.

Disposibleteen
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Creative products are nice, have you heard the sounds coming out of their latest audigy 4 pro?

craig588
07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
No, they arn't. They are just the only option. People with crappy 500$ budget sound systems will never know the differnce though, the speakers and AIO "amps" are too distorted in the first place.

(sin)morpheus
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Your method of ripping is a ghetto method, you will never be able to get good quality because it's impossible to eliminate noise on the line you're recording through. It will pretty much always sound like a tape recording. The best way to do it is straight ripping using whatever method you can scrounge. As for me, I download the music from zophar.net of the games that I own and play it via a winamp plugin. This way I don't have to rip it myselfl. :D

craig588
07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
How do you think some of the unrippable stuff gets ripped? There's hardware designed for eliminating noise in realtime, there are so many effects that can be applied to sound waves it would be impossible to list them all. High quality analog is better than high quality digtal. (Possible point of interst: low quality analog is far worse than low quality digital)

You should try contributing sometime rather than just downloading sometime, the stuff doesn't just get there automatically.

(sin)morpheus
07-13-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't see how anything can be unrippable. Everything that is digital can be ripped, you just have to firgure out how. There are ways to eliminate some noise, but you can never eliminate all of it. The difference between your method and ripping is that with ripping it will sound exactly how it would if you played the game on the console (ps2 in this case), with the recording it won't sound the same. It won't sound like what you remember. We can take a low quality easy to record sample for this. What sounds better, a NSF file or a recording of the music coming from the emulator using the "what u hear" function to record? Please explain how high quality analogue is better than high quality digital.

I don't contribute because they already have everything that I have, if they didn't I would contribute. So, don't be so quick to judge. :cool:

craig588
07-13-2005, 01:48 AM
I remember a specific example being those demo kiosks that had full albums on them that you can only listen to in the store because they were there before the CDs were relased. People were wondering if someone needed to steal one of those to get a prereleased CD, but someone came up with the idea of setting the headphone out into a mixer in and they just recorded every song in it and went home and cleaned them up in their studio.

Digital can only be so presice, even 320bits is still cutting something out, (Wav files are close to analog though, but there are some people who would exhile if they heard me say that) analog stuff is playing or recording everything. It's very easy to pick up distortion in an analog setup though which most cheap setups will, but cheap digitial setups can be low quality, but still essentially distortion free.

An emulator will never produce correct sounds anyways. Use the real hardware or don't bother.

Oh, and senice the source is a compressed digital format you won't lose anything by staying digtal.

Pretty much everyone has crappy little "high end" computer speakers so low quality formats and standards have become pretty much ubiquitous, I know many people that use 92KBs MP3s and they can't even hear the difference between that and a CD because they have such trash sound systems. I rip 320KBs OGGs exclusivly. (Wait, I'm using compessed digital formats? yes, my home setup isn't good enough, I can only detect the differences if I listen very carefully and I prefer to save the 50MB per song file over .wavs and I like having every CD instantly accessable)

I hate companies like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836119106
25Hz to 20KHz at -5dB on their highest end computer speakers, they include a AIO amp thingy too, just look at the size it's so tiny (and the link is absurdly long for some reason so I made it this) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=36-119-106-12.jpg%2C36-119-106-05.jpg%2C36-119-106-06.jpg%2C36-119-106-07.jpg%2C36-119-106-08.jpg%2C36-119-106-09.jpg%2C36-119-106-10.jpg%2C36-119-106-11.jpg&CurImage=36-119-106-09.jpg&Description=Klipsch+PROMEDIA+ULTRA+5.1+470+watts+5 .1+Speaker+-+Retail) Where are the compoents supposed to be? My home audio setup is 20 inches tall, 17 wide and 15 deep, every compoent in is in packed full of various audio powering things and it's not even a ultra high end setup. My studio audio setup (I'm not there so I need to estimate) is 2 racks about a foot wide, a foot deep and 4 feet tall. It's also not very high end.

High end computer audio is listening to sounds though an apartment wall compared to real high end audio.