PDA

View Full Version : THG stress test again, PSUs this time

LowRun
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
THG is about to start another stress test, this time they'll test PSUs. Will it be the same mess than their dual core stress test?
Those who know something about testing PSUs are more than welcome to express their thoughts (EMC2 sir, please be my guest).

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/index.html

IYP
07-11-2005, 03:52 PM
hook it up to an oven!

IYP
07-11-2005, 03:53 PM
hmm im sure theres a way to mod it so you can hook it up to multiple systems....just put a wattage monitor between your PSU and the wall plug and make sure it does not excede its peak

dippyskoodlez
07-11-2005, 04:09 PM
heh... they measure the 12v line, but only measures to the tenth of a volt.... my multimeter is more accurate than those :o

krille
07-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, this is THG, so don't have too high expectations skoodlez. Hope the PCPnC 850W SSI will be able to keep up. I ordered one of these a few hours ago for $600 USD so it better be worth it. :eek:

LowRun
07-11-2005, 04:22 PM
heh... they measure the 12v line, but only measures to the tenth of a volt.... my multimeter is more accurate than those :o

I could be wrong but i think they will do a lil' better, you will get a better idea of their testing method here: http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050711/index.html

LowRun
07-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Well, this is THG, so don't have too high expectations skoodlez. Hope the PCPnC 850W SSI will be able to keep up. I ordered one of these a few hours ago for $600 USD so it better be worth it. :eek:

EMC2 tested it already on XS and i don't think you'll be disappointed.

ex2cib
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
i wonder if they are going to have another useless reset counter.

...for XX.XX amount of $$ you can lower your score

.... :lastweek:

Dave in Daytona
07-11-2005, 05:54 PM
If Tom's gets this right, it will be their first successful PSU test ever! :fact:

EMC2
07-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Hmmmm... this is suppose to be a real test and not a preview/first look??? Well......static loads, no information on noise tests, no information on capacitance in the loads, no dynamic load tests, no transient response tests, didn't see any temp inlet/outlet info, and charts that to this point are basically illegible... oh... and no real temp testing...

Well... maybe they'll at least see if the units can put out their rated power under a constant static load condition and give efficiency ratings for a resistive load condition (if they add/sub/mult/div right) :rolleyes:

On the plus side I like their loads and they did a decent job on the interface board...

/me passes out big blocks of salt for the results and popcorn for the testing

EMC2
07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
hehe... they've added temp sensors and readings since yesterday :lol: But just how do we have an inlet temp to the unit that is lower than the ambient temp??? :stick:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34117&stc=1

And they still don't show a scale for the chart readings :rolleyes: Is that voltage dropping by 10mV or 1V?

And the other thumbnail makes me wonder if they are loading all the rails... isn't that a PCIe connector in the foreground?

Dave in Daytona
07-14-2005, 04:18 AM
The ATX connector is 10C hotter than the PSU's exhaust? :confused:

Tom's & PSU's :slapass:

LowRun
07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
So, why almost all the PSUs reviews are so far from delivering usable infos? Too expensive hardware required? Very specific skills needed? What?

EMC2
07-26-2005, 06:07 PM
--- Dave ---

Actually I can believe the temp on the ATX connector... wire size, contact resistance, current levels through them ;)

--- LowRun ---

Well... it isn't because expensive hardware is required... extremely good testing can be accomplished with relatively inexpensive hardware - other than the need for a good o'scope.

Specific skills... you could word it that way :lol:

I will say that THG improved their setup from what they initially had... and it's better than a lot of tests I've seen... but IMO it still isn't there. Will be curious to see their final data and analysis.

Peace :toast:

TMM
08-06-2005, 06:26 AM
If Tom's gets this right, it will be their first successful PSU test ever! :fact:
More like first successful test ever in general :lol2:

IvanAndreevich
08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
dippyskoodlez
my multimeter is more accurate than those
Not more accurate. More PRECISE ;) Whether those digits are accurate is another story.

EMC2
wire size, contact resistance, current levels through them
Probably more like physical heat tranfer from inside the PSU :)

LowRun
Read xbitlabs.com PSU reviews!

dippyskoodlez
08-19-2005, 06:32 AM
dippyskoodlez
my multimeter is more accurate than those
Not more accurate. More PRECISE ;) Whether those digits are accurate is another story.

Oh picky picky :p:

dnavarro
08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow, the OCZ 600 PSU got worked on their testing. And to think I almost got one of those instead of my PCP&C. heh

D

dippyskoodlez
08-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow, the OCZ 600 PSU got worked on their testing. And to think I almost got one of those instead of my PCP&C. heh

D

I really hope you didn't just use a THG article to actually compare something...? :eek:

EMC2
09-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Ivan - unlikely :)