PDA

View Full Version : Prommy suddenly can't handle startup load

Entuscan
12-23-2002, 05:37 AM
Yesterday everything was fine.

this happend this morning:

Turned on prometeia, went into kitchen to grab a cup of coffee while prommy is cooling. Suddenly I heared some strange beeping sounds coming out of the livingroom.
WTF?

Went and looked at prommy, it's shut off :confused:

turned it on agian, HEUH, 46°C! same loud beeps ERR on display and it shut's down (overheating protection)
Waited af few minutes, started up again 28°C on display -> whent up to 40 something like a rocket and bamm shut down agian.

What is going on, it's running a moderate 100%stable overclock of 16,5x166 @2.1V (to install OS etc) for a week or more.
Didn't have any problems on starting up.

Now I can't get to boot at OC value. So I cleared the Cmos, prommy booted up.
Temps were normal, Overclocked to previos state, Temps under load/idle are the same as always.
Roomtemp is the same (maybe even slightly lower due to that it was still early)

Any idea's on what's going on?

TheDude
12-23-2002, 06:17 AM
Are you using the power conditioner relay? I forget what they call it? Delays mobo power on until temps are reached. I bought one with my Prommie.Supposed to be for overvolted startups.Dunno if that's it but kinda sounds like it may be. Are others having this problem who run overvolted oc and don't use this relay?

Entuscan
12-23-2002, 06:35 AM
Nope i don't have/use that atx relay connector.

I've heard strange things about it when used on an amd-rig.
Preventing it to boot completly etc

The strange thing is, I've never had it before, and now it won't go away ;)

Umgawa
12-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Is it warmer this week than last week. Why I say is that Ive had my prometei for a week and when I turn it on and if its kinda warm i get almost to 40c and 40c is were it will shut down if it goes over that. You are running alot of voltage and thats probably what it is. Try lower clock speed and voltage let it run for a while and then change to the high overclock settings. It will probaly be fine then. Its just the initial boot with 2.1volts will bring temp up quick before it starts to kool. The power conditioner is suppose to fix this problem by keeping power away from your cpu so it want heat the head up on start up.:)

Umgawa
12-23-2002, 11:56 AM
I see were you tried that. Nevermind on that. You were probably so close to 40c when booting last week that maybe its just a few degrees warmer in your room now. For example I watch mine when mine boots and it gets to 39.8c before it starts cooling. So .2c more and I would have the same problems. Power conditioner is on the way I will let you know if it works on amds. You could also change the settings so 50c is it cut off point:)

petervandamned
12-23-2002, 10:19 PM
my friend

try a conditioner for a while and see what happens
really did the trick for my epox 2400+ rig
and i am again new on amd ;)