PDA

View Full Version : Dual Radiator and other Water-cooling questions and Ideas

Svenn
12-22-2002, 09:55 PM
Okay, I've got this setup right now:

Eheim 1250
Silverprop Cyclone 5 CPU Block
Danger Den GPU Block
Danger Den Chipset Block (not in use currently)
Dtek Pro Core w/ Shroud (another shroud not currently in use)
Tygon Tubing
Distilled Water
Water Wetter
Enermax 120mm adjustable speed fans (very quiet) for rad

Okay, I'm getting a Prom soon, and so the CPU block will be gone. I'm gonna keep the water for my GPU and NB though. Here are my questions:

1) Are there any other chipset blocks better than the Danger Den one?
2) I'm looking at the MCW50-T for my 4600, how much will that raise water temps? (80W Pelt) Enough that cooling the NB in the same setup would be pointless?
3) If I were doing a dual radiator setup (with the TEC), what would be the best way to run it? (pump-rad-GPU-NB-rad? pump-GPU-NB-rad-rad? pump-GPU-rad-NB-rad? pump-NB-GPU-rad-rad? pump-NB-rad-GPU-rad? Eheh, too many options)
4) How does the Black Ice Xtreme 2 compare to the Dtek Pro Core? Would I be better off with 2 of those?
5) What's the best water additive?
6) What's a good neon dye? The Dtek stuff I used stained my Tygon and didn't really glow in the first place...
7) Almost positive no one knows this yet, but GFFX, will GF4 blocks work? I plan on getting a GFFX as soon as they are released.
8) What's a good, simple (or semi-simple) method for water-chilling without taking too much space or being way too noisy?
9) With the TEC, and possible water chilling, how would I go about condensation proofing?

Anything else I left out, please let me know. I'm drooling over this Prom/water-cooling/chilled setup now, hehe. BTW, the system I want to put this in is the one listed below, soon to be upgraded to nForce2 (undecided on brand still), 2400+ until Barton's are released, 4600 until GFFX is released, and 2x512 Memory (undecided on brand/speed still). What do you think?

sysfailur
12-23-2002, 01:28 AM
1 The old dangerden chipset block is the best imo... but you can't get it anymore.
2 I don't think so.
3 I would say... pump > rad > 2 blocks > rad > cpu > res > pump
4 Never used either, can't say..
5 Water wetter (but it stinks to all hell)
6 I used stuff from overclock-watercool.com but they're bakrupt now and I dunno of other places that sell it :P
7 By looking at the NV30 I would say yes, the holes are in the right spot.
8 Rape a dehumidifier or a dehumidifier. Just buy a used one from the newspaper.
9 Great stuff here: http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles.html

Svenn
12-23-2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks Sys. I already have the dangerden chipset block. I bought it a few months back and then couldn't fit it on how I wanted it so I left it off.
As for the order, there will be no cpu block because I'll be using a Prom. So should I do pump - rad- 2 blocks - rad - pump? Also, should I use a res? I've been running it without a res because I was told to not use a res before.

wymjym
12-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi,
unless you are doing two separate loops (pump,block + rad x 2)
you will get a better temp drop by dumping the hottest water into both rads at the same time, ie use a y to feed both of them. Heat exchangers work more effeciently when they have a greater heat difference.
wj

Svenn
12-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Okay, here's what I'm thinking...
Pump -> Rad -> Y splitter to GPU and NB -> Y splitter from NB and GPU -> Res -> Back to pump. How does that sound? Also, if I were to upgrade the pelt later on, would it be beneficial to upgrade to 2 radiators?
Oh, and what's the best setup for the fans on the rad? I have one sucking air from outside the case through the radiator. Should I get one to Push air from outside hte case into the rad on the other side also? I got 2 shrouds and an extra fan for it.

FishaOfMen
12-27-2002, 11:08 AM
You want to get the water in the radiators when it is the hottest. That means that you should have the water go from the radiators to the reservoir, not from the reservoir to the radiators. The way my setup is going to be in a month or two is:

pump&res > Y with CPU on one line and GPU & NB on the other > Y that brings it back to a single tube > Y out to both radiators > Y that brings it back to single tube > pump&res

About adding the extra radiator, it will help a lot. About adding the extra fan, it will help but not a whole whole lot. That is, if you're having trouble with your pelt with one rad and one fan, an extra fan isn't going to do it for you. The extra rad will.