PDA

View Full Version : Strange sounds from my Prommie...

Gamer67
12-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Is it normal to hear some small clacking or thud like sounds from the Prometia from time to time ?

It is nothing too serious but I just want to make sure.

Cheers,
Gamer

Drozdov
12-22-2002, 07:16 PM
well if it keeps the CPU cool...i guess nothing is wrong with it lol

Kurupt
12-23-2002, 01:16 AM
Mine was making a clacking sound but it has stoped.

CodeRed
12-23-2002, 02:22 AM
I had the same prob. Chip-con tech support said the noise is due to un-evaporated refridgerant flowing back into the compressor. This is potentially a result of an over-filled system. They also said not to worry as it will not damage the compressor.

Send a email to tech support.

Two days ago the sound just stopped ... no changes to system, cant explain it.

bowman1964
12-23-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by CodeRed
I had the same prob. Chip-con tech support said the noise is due to un-evaporated refridgerant flowing back into the compressor. This is potentially a result of an over-filled system. They also said not to worry as it will not damage the compressor.

Send a email to tech support.

Two days ago the sound just stopped ... no changes to system, cant explain it.

well i think chip con is wrong.
the number one reason you will hear a clicking type of noise is refridgerant flowing back to the compressor (LIKE THEY SAID)and it will damage the compressor if left making noise for long periods of noise.this is from the compressor trying to compress a liquid not a gas.
but this will not just go away if it is refridgerant like they say.because the system is sealed and there is no way for the refridgerant to disapear.if it is clicking or thumping it will continue untill you lower the amount of charge in the system.
now what i think is happening to all you guys is not a big problem but i have seen it before many times.
you see a refridgerant system is never suposed to be laid on its side or unside down.this is because the oil in the system can run out of the compressor and back into the suction lines or pressure lines.now what i think is happening to most of you guys is the shipper is laying the systems upside down or at least on its side in shipping.this causing the oil to run out.
so oil takes a while to finally make it back into the compressor.i think the noise you heard is from the oil getting back into the compressor while it is running.it is a slow process for the refridgerant to pull it back.
so i wouldnt worry about the noise in a few days of running it finally makes it back to the compressor and stays there.

Vatt
12-23-2002, 12:18 PM
I have had similar sounds. And indeed I think it because the units are shipped sideways, despite the arrows on the box pointing upward. The store I bought my unit from, told me they had received a pallet with the units all laying on their side, instead of the correct way up.
Anyway, my unit was also making some noises, but it got less every day.
5 days ago, the thermal bus broke (so DO be carefull with that hose) so I wouldn't know if it would still be making that noise today.

CodeRed
12-23-2002, 01:42 PM
bowman,
that makes a lot of sense. I couldnt understand why the noise went away ... but now you have given me the answer.

Finally, peace of mind.

*EDIT*

Thought I'd add it took 5 weeks before the noise stopped (2 weeks just sitting in my garage in the upright position, and 3 weeks running)

Cheers
CodeRed

sharpbw
12-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Here's the actuall post referencing the "bumping" sound.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=71482#post71482

Note he talkes about the " input chamber ", not the actual compressor. Anyway, bowman1964 might have hit on the actual cause of the noise, and makes a lot of sense.

TechTones
12-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Vatt
I have had similar sounds. And indeed I think it because the units are shipped sideways, despite the arrows on the box pointing upward. The store I bought my unit from, told me they had received a pallet with the units all laying on their side, instead of the correct way up.
Anyway, my unit was also making some noises, but it got less every day.
5 days ago, the thermal bus broke (so DO be carefull with that hose) so I wouldn't know if it would still be making that noise today.

Damn the hose on my EVA3 cracked too. I have no idea where to go to get it fixed except an air shop. I don't see why they don't use flexible Parker hose instead of copper tubing.

How did yours break? Is it too fragile? What are you going to do?

CodeRed
12-28-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by sharpbw
Here's the actuall post referencing the "bumping" sound.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=71482#post71482

Note he talkes about the " input chamber ", not the actual compressor. Anyway, bowman1964 might have hit on the actual cause of the noise, and makes a lot of sense.

Yep, bowman must have got it right. Yesterday I remounted my cooling head and had the prom on its side for a couple of hours. I then let it sit for 15min in the upright position to let the oil settle. When I turned her on the noise was back doh! Probably didnt let it settle for long enough.

EZClock
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Mine cracked too, either during shipping / me moving it. I have to say, these are extremely fragile *Sends his Mach1 to chilly1*.

Cr@sh_D1n3r
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Are you aware that this thread is like 3 years old?

craig588
11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Close it and make a new one.