PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: Windows Vs Linux

Turok
07-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Hello

I would like to know whats better between Windows and Linux in gaming.
Ive used Linux on other PCs before, but havent had any personal exerience of how Linux really peforms (especially in games)

I dont know any of the Linux models, only know that RedHat is probably the newest and has a bunch of versions :p:

A lot of people have been telling me to change to Linux so I can enable 64-bit and because Linux is much more stable and faster than Windows. Is it worth it and does it really peform better than any other OS

What Linux version will run this tech?
64-bit
SSE3
SM 3.0
Dual cores or more

Will Linux work with these games that I usually play:
1) Half Life 2 & CSS
2) FarCry
3) UT2004
4) Halo for PC
5) F.E.A.R. MP Demo
6) A bit of AA too

Right now Im running Win XP Pro (32-bit) so Ive never played the FarCry 64-bit version. Would Linux run the 64-bit version?

Im more concerned about compatibility than anything else since there are thing like SM 3.0 that are from Microsoft and I dont know if Linux is able to run SM 3.0 or something simmilar.

Ive also seen a lot of people prefer Win 2k over XP. What are the advantages?

Finally, what is the best between these OS?
Win 2k
Win XP Pro (32-bit)
Win XP Pro (64-bit)
Windows Longhorn

Linux RedHat (what are the best)
And any other Linux that you may think is good
and if there is a good Free and Retail version,
which one is worth getting?

(sin)morpheus
07-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Linux is quite stable and faster, but it's for servers and development. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming, just lots of pains and most games won't work very well if at all. The people who recommended it to you are what's known as fanboys. :D They tell you to use it because they love it too much.

Compatibility isn't usually a huge issue. Opengl uses SM3.0 so no worries there.

makatee
07-09-2005, 04:49 AM
C'mon, get your facts straight and don't give an opinion...Linux isn't just for servers or development....In fact, it can be used as a desktop too :eek: Thats right, and its been easy and stable for years now, even if YOU arent aware of it. That said, games are more and more compatible everyday now. Many come with native installers and those which don't are pretty easily run through Cedega or wine now. Yeah, there are still somethings to overcome and still some games that dont work great, but most do. And if you have an Nvidia card I'd stick to my guns and say that much more often than not you will have easily better performance than in Windows. ATI drivers are slowly becoming faster and better, but they still arent what they are in Windows. Again though, the Nvidia linux drivers easily match anything their windows counterparts can put up.

masterofpuppets
07-09-2005, 09:26 AM
You can't use Pixel Shaders with Linux. Not many of the games you listed will play natively under Linux. And, Linux is slower in 3D, mainly because of nVidia and ATi's worthless excuses for drivers. For general desktop use, though, it is highly superior in just about everr area. Don't go for a noob distro, get Gentoo instead. It's alot faster, and flexible.

PS: Stop f**king calling it Linux. Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. You are looking for the phrase "GNU/Linux" which is the most common Linux based operating system.

(sin)morpheus
07-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm well aware that it has come a long way in the graphics department. It's obvious though that it still isn't worth switching to for gaming. I do use it, but only on my servers. My gaming system uses windows for obvious compatibility reasons. Wine is a stab in the chest with compatibility.

How can any form of linux not use SM3.0? It's just a set of guidelines. :confused:

Turok
07-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I really like the Linux enviroment. Makes you feel like you have the control of everything, and there is less crap to load.

Since I usually play games on my PC, Ill have to stick with Win XP Pro until something better shows up :(

How's Win XP 64-bit right now?

(sin)morpheus
07-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I agree with you turok. Linux is awesome and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you use it. It just isn't ready for gaming yet though.

railer
07-09-2005, 08:59 PM
The only game i know that runs great on Linix is Quake 3. I have heard that it's even better then windows for this game. But all other new games i gues would be pain in the a** to setup. Linix is great but not my choise of OS when it comes to games

masterofpuppets
07-10-2005, 06:05 AM
There is Wolfenstein, Doom3, Enemy Territory, UT2004 too! Don't forget those! Linux is perfectly ready for gaming, but video card manafacturer's just haven't made decent drivers yet. The system itself is far superior to Windows for desktop use, and server use. But noone is making decent 3D drivers yet.

Turok
07-10-2005, 06:22 AM
There is Wolfenstein, Doom3, Enemy Territory, UT2004 too! Don't forget those! Linux is perfectly ready for gaming, but video card manafacturer's just haven't made decent drivers yet. The system itself is far superior to Windows for desktop use, and server use. But noone is making decent 3D drivers yet.

Well, Wolfenstein is too old and I dont play it anymore, Doom 3 sucks, I dont have Enemy Terrirory, and UT2004 is only one game so its not worth switching

How's Win XP 64-bit? Anything worth getting, or is there a problems with drivers too since not all the drivers are 64-bit capable?
Can you run 32-bit drivers on Win 64-bit?
Anyone who has tryed Windows Longhorn Beta, is the OS good?
BTW, when exactly in 2006-2007 are they going to release it?

masterofpuppets
07-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Windows Longhorn will be trash. When the L4-Pistachio port of GNU/Hurd is usable, Linux, BSD and Winblows users alike will be shivering in the immense power of the microkernel!

LilGator
07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
UT2004 is about all you can hope for ... and even then it will be slower and not look as good.

Definitely superior for development and servers; it makes a very nice workstation OS as well. But, Linux is not for gaming, period.

masterofpuppets
07-10-2005, 09:20 AM
It's only that way because videocard manafacturer's are M$ brainwashed retards. Same with gamedevelopers. Although, the Unix-compatible Q3 binary (which is used for all Q3 based games) is faster than it's Windows counterpart, if anything.

makatee
07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I beg to different about no one making decent drivers...The Nvidia drivers are great, I'd love to know what you wouldn't even classify them as decent? :slap:

makatee
07-11-2005, 03:04 PM
PS: Stop f**king calling it Linux. Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. You are looking for the phrase "GNU/Linux" which is the most common Linux based operating system.

Haha, just realized, later on in this thread you did just the thing you were ranting against. :banana: :banana: :banana:

masterofpuppets
07-12-2005, 07:20 AM
The nVidia drivers are usable (which is more than ATi can say), but still not on par with their Windows drivers. As I said before, the Linux kernel is far superior to Windows NT based systems, in many areas, including performance, security, stability, standards compliance (Windows follows a proprietry standard, while Linux complies to the GNU/GPL licenses, POSIX, and basicly most Unix standards out there. We just need superior drivers. The new version of Xorg (6.8.99, it's in portage, check it out!), supports DRI 5, and KAA (Kdrive Acceleration Architecture, although not enabled by default, you can enable it). This improves performance, except, the ATi and nVidia proprietry drivers only support XAA (X Acceleration Architecture). And I don't they they are happy about adopting this new standard yet, since most people are still stuck in their little XFree86 4.x world! Another option could be the Mesa Solo architecture, which has native GLX acceleration and uses a framebuffer rather than X. The bottom line is, X is really getting behind. Nasty little hacks like Composite, are not going to save it! We either need a complete rewrite of the X standard using KAA as standard, and other features, better proprietry drivers from ATi and nVidia, or start adopting the Mesa Solo architecture.

Turok
07-12-2005, 07:50 AM
What Ive seen is that M$ can buy, but cant create.
They should pay Linux a ton of money to make a new OS for them and then split the profit 50/50. Aparently they wouldnt have a problem doing that, but they will loose a lot of money and gain humiliation because they depend on a smaller company to do the job right. :D
The good thing is that ignorant people that though Windows was better for their non-3D aplications will switch to Linux, and Linux users would use the Linux bought my M$ working on all Windows compatible junk on Linux based stability :D

If they dont do this, Linux may become better as it grows and could have enough money to tell ATI and nVidia to focus their drivers to Linux too.
Linux could stomp Windows OS and convince people to change to Linux. The only people that might still stay in Windows is the ignorant people who just like Windows because its "pritty" :eleph: and easy to use...
They diserve to be slaped :slapass:
:frag:

The nVidia drivers are usable (which is more than ATi can say), but still not on par with their Windows drivers. As I said before, the Linux kernel is far superior to Windows NT based systems, in many areas, including performance, security, stability, standards compliance (Windows follows a proprietry standard, while Linux complies to the GNU/GPL licenses, POSIX, and basicly most Unix standards out there. We just need superior drivers. The new version of Xorg (6.8.99, it's in portage, check it out!), supports DRI 5, and KAA (Kdrive Acceleration Architecture, although not enabled by default, you can enable it). This improves performance, except, the ATi and nVidia proprietry drivers only support XAA (X Acceleration Architecture). And I don't they they are happy about adopting this new standard yet, since most people are still stuck in their little XFree86 4.x world! Another option could be the Mesa Solo architecture, which has native GLX acceleration and uses a framebuffer rather than X. The bottom line is, X is really getting behind. Nasty little hacks like Composite, are not going to save it! We either need a complete rewrite of the X standard using KAA as standard, and other features, better proprietry drivers from ATi and nVidia, or start adopting the Mesa Solo architecture.

lol, I got a bit confused afther reading half way :p:

masterofpuppets
07-12-2005, 09:11 AM
You REALLY don't understand how free software works, do you? There isn't Linux "models" or "versions". Linux is a monolithic kernel (A base system where all of the guts, as well as drivers are included, as opposed to a microkernel, which is just the guts), not an OS. The devs who maintain Linux, are not a company, they are a loosely nitted weave of programmers. When most people say Linux, they usually are talking about GNU/Linux (GNU means GNU is Not Unix, meaning, a free clone of Unix), which a GNU system, on top of a Linux kernel. I hate it when people don't know the difference, it just angers me to how people are so ignorant. Microsoft hate open-source software, to an extent, they wouldn't be able to help "Linux" make a better OS, for several reasons, first, they hate GNU/Linux with a passion (for desktop and server use, but they develop on it happily), next, Linux devs also hate Microsoft (and no, they don't develop on Windows), penultimately, you can't just graft on Win32 support to the kernel, it would have to be added piece by piece to Linux itself, then glibc, stdlibc++, binutils, and other parts of the GNU toolchain. GNU/Linux will never conqueur the desktop world, ever, because, of it's complexity. Programmers don't like the horrible amount of libraries needed to make a functioning application, although, very basic stuff can happily run on glibc alone. The point is, GNU/Linux is superior in every way to Windows (well, in 99.9% of ways), but, it'll never become more popular than Windows, and that is a good thing. Unix-style operating systems should be reserved the more more technical-minded users, if they became more popular, it would not only ruin the leet factor, but, more exploits would be found. If Windows never became as popular as it has, over half of the exploits wouldn'tve been discovered. The Linux kernel is a giant buggy POS, but over half of the exploitable bugs will never be discovered, or encountered in a user enviroment, since the size of the userbase doesn't warrant attention from hackers.

Turok
07-12-2005, 09:49 AM
You REALLY don't understand how free software works, do you? There isn't Linux "models" or "versions". Linux is a monolithic kernel (A base system where all of the guts, as well as drivers are included, as opposed to a microkernel, which is just the guts), not an OS. The devs who maintain Linux, are not a company, they are a loosely nitted weave of programmers. When most people say Linux, they usually are talking about GNU/Linux (GNU means GNU is Not Unix, meaning, a free clone of Unix), which a GNU system, on top of a Linux kernel. I hate it when people don't know the difference, it just angers me to how people are so ignorant. Microsoft hate open-source software, to an extent, they wouldn't be able to help "Linux" make a better OS, for several reasons, first, they hate GNU/Linux with a passion (for desktop and server use, but they develop on it happily), next, Linux devs also hate Microsoft (and no, they don't develop on Windows), penultimately, you can't just graft on Win32 support to the kernel, it would have to be added piece by piece to Linux itself, then glibc, stdlibc++, binutils, and other parts of the GNU toolchain. GNU/Linux will never conqueur the desktop world, ever, because, of it's complexity. Programmers don't like the horrible amount of libraries needed to make a functioning application, although, very basic stuff can happily run on glibc alone. The point is, GNU/Linux is superior in every way to Windows (well, in 99.9% of ways), but, it'll never become more popular than Windows, and that is a good thing. Unix-style operating systems should be reserved the more more technical-minded users, if they became more popular, it would not only ruin the leet factor, but, more exploits would be found. If Windows never became as popular as it has, over half of the exploits wouldn'tve been discovered. The Linux kernel is a giant buggy POS, but over half of the exploitable bugs will never be discovered, or encountered in a user enviroment, since the size of the userbase doesn't warrant attention from hackers.

Hmmm... Interesting
Thanks for the help :up: I guess Ill only use Linux as a working tool

I was aware that Linux was a freeware all the time, but I thought they anounced some new RedHat that costs $100 so they can get some money

BTW, is Apple's OSX more stable with 2D and 3D applications than Linux?
Linux is better for programing and server use, right?

[XC] moddolicous
07-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, Windows is pissing me off alot lately on my new setup, so it looks like I'm going towards Gentoo. I'm definetly going to Linux, Windows is relally screwing the comp over. Its a DFI Lanparty UT 250gfb, and a sempron. Can I run the 64bit version of Gentoo, or no?

(sin)morpheus
07-12-2005, 07:43 PM
It depends on whether or not the sempron is a new 64 bit one.

makatee
07-13-2005, 01:36 AM
if you have a 64 bit chip than you can run 64 bit gentoo on that machine :toast:

masterofpuppets
07-13-2005, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't recommend compiling for 64-bit, over half of the programs in portage break for 64-bit. Just stick with i686 mode for the time being, imo.

[XC] moddolicous
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't recommend compiling for 64-bit, over half of the programs in portage break for 64-bit. Just stick with i686 mode for the time being, imo.
Alrite, that works for me. Lets see if I can get it set up.

bobbobson
07-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok, im a linux fanboy (Gentoo ;)) and i'd still have to say that linux isn't as good as windows as far as gaming goes. Sure, all your games will run flawlessly on Gentoo with the help of cedega. But future games wont for a month or 2 after their release. The fact is that Linux just isnt ready to be used as a gaming platform even tho many of us use it! And as far as 64bit gentoo goes, its not woth the hastle (YET! ;)). Just stick with the usual x86 stuff with some niffty cflags and you'll be right.

- Michael.

oohms
09-01-2005, 11:55 PM
four of my friends have caught the "linux gaming bug" and use mainly cedega to get the games not native to linux (q3, 2k4) to run.
They have been at it for a few months now and they can finally play most games (including hl2) pretty well.
The only problem as far as i can see, is that, even if your half decent at linux, it takes a LOT of time to run properly, and some games run fairly slow, while others simply refuse to run.
ironically cedega is a little less stable than windows for gaming too, from what i have seen

nn_step
09-02-2005, 09:18 AM
If it can play on linux or windows.. I can get it to work on BSD..
It just takes something special sometimes...

Ugly n Grey
09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I am far far far far... too lazy to make games work under Linux or BSD or Solaris or anything even smacking of taking time away from drinking scotch....If it doesn't just install and work why bother is my motto...

On another note the Direct X compatibility layer for Linux project is putting up some good work....

masterofpuppets
09-02-2005, 06:38 PM
nn_step, nobody cares about your BSD fanboyism. You've expressed it in almost all of your posts. How the hell would you get decent X acceleration out of BSD!? There are no decent agpgart type things for BSD. AFAIK nVidia make a very below-average one.

nn_step
09-02-2005, 06:53 PM
it is as good as linux's and my favorite game isn't supported on XP...
SO why not...

masterofpuppets
09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Nobody care's that you actively endorse BSD! If you wanna read "BSD pwnz" so much just PM yourself so nobody has to hear it. You can develop a suitable agpgart and an X driver if you want but it's difficult work and requires knowledge of cards' architecture. Good luck :P

nn_step
09-02-2005, 07:56 PM
actually I am just saying that it is what I think is best..
What is truely the best I don't think anyone knows... :P

masterofpuppets
09-02-2005, 08:05 PM
BSD is indeed better than Linux but not for gaming.

Ugly n Grey
09-02-2005, 08:09 PM

Agreed

nn_step
09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
but that will soon change...
no details but I will say something very cool soon
(in the ATi sense)

Ugly n Grey
09-05-2005, 03:56 PM
but that will soon change...
no details but I will say something very cool soon
(in the ATi sense)

Delayed for a year then ? Great help you are :stick:
J/k

nn_step
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Yep :P

[XC] moddolicous
09-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Well, we will see about that. I got gentoo up and working on some comps, and I found it very good. I'm going to try out freebsd and see what happens.

Kjaks
09-18-2005, 11:48 AM
If it works then dont fix it :)