PDA

View Full Version : XP Not Recognizing External Drive Property

Judaeus Apella
07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I got this cheap little IDE External HDD kit from CompUSA, as just a temperary measure to transfer stuff back and forth from this computer, to the computer Im building. Problem is, that its not working right. It has a red and green light. Red for power, green for connected properly through USB. When I plug it in and turn it on, both lights go on and Windows makes a busy noise with the computer's main hdd, like its busy for half a sec... then nothing. The external doesn't appear in Windows Explorer. Anyone have any experience with using these things? I've never worked with them before, and don't know anything about them. Can someone help me out? :confused:

Edit: By the way, I thought it might be helpful to know that this thing was very very hot when I left it on, with an older hard drive in it. I also noticed that it doesnt work when a part overheats. It's this ring with copper wrapped around it really tight, and covered with rubber. It's right next to where th power cable is attached to the circuit board in the external kit.