PDA

View Full Version : NCQ on P-ATA drives?

Foxie3a
07-05-2005, 09:04 PM
My backup hard drive is just about dead. It has randomly "shut off" during operation, and there is heavy corruption taking place. In light of this, I went and bought the nicest looking drive I could afford. Since it is a backup drive, and I hate the S-ATA connectors(one has broken on me) I decided to get a P-ATA drive.

I had many options, but when I saw one that offered a 16mb buffer, along with NCQ, I had to jump on it. I was excited that I just bought a new drive that has nice looking specs. Then it dawned on me, NCQ is pretty new, why would it be offered in P-ATA drives? Isn't specific to S-ATA?

So the bottom line is, I jumped on a 200GB drive, and spent $115 on it because I thought it had NCQ, and now it looks like NCQ is only offered on S-ATA drives.

Taken from Seagate's website....

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a command protocol for SATA that makes it possible to have several outstanding commands within a drive at the same time.

This is taken from one of my favorite sites, Webopedia....

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a command protocol in Serial ATA that can be implemented only on native Serial ATA hard drives.

It looks to me like I spent $115 on a drive because it was advertised as having NCQ, when it does not. The drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax 10 200GB, ATA133, 7200rpm, 16mb.

Right in the specs it says...

Native command queuing for enhanced efficiency

So please help me out guys, am I overlooking something, or did I just get taken by false advertising(or possible error)?

Also, the drive has already been shipped, so I can not cancel my order. And I bought in a hurry because I need a reliable backup drive, so sending it back will only waste more of my time.

5-Clicks
07-05-2005, 09:59 PM
probable error. the site probably just copied the specs over from the SATA version and changed the Serial ATA part to PATA. newegg has a tendancy to have errors every now and then. usually they're just minor things that don't make a difference though.