PDA

View Full Version : Retro/old games

Anarki
07-05-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm making a website on retro/old games and was hoping for some input from you guys. Here is a VERY short list of games I've played that I feel are great oldies:

1. Another World - Very good game for the time it was released
2. Flashback - Sequel (or mayber prequel?!) to Another World, awsome game
3. Xenon 2 - Ace
4. Gynoug - Old megadrive game which I thought was ace
5. Syndicate - Wicked game
6. Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 - Tiny men lobbing grenades at sheds, etc. lol
7. Z - My personal fav, had this on PC & PS, quality alternative to C&C
8. Duke Nukem 3d - Who hasn't played this?

Ok so there is only 8 games listed, thats all I can be bothered to type in at the moment. What are your favs dated before 1997.

Thanks.

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-05-2005, 11:42 AM
comand and conquer original was great.

geoff2k
07-05-2005, 11:50 AM
The original Civilization almost cost me my CS degree.

ZX7891
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
duke nukem 3d is the :banana::banana::banana::banana:

(sin)morpheus
07-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh man, I can't list them all. There are 1000s of awesome old school games.
I guess I'll list a few

zelda 2: nes
metal slug: arcade
zelda 1: nes
mario 3: nes
super mario rpg: snes
sonic and knuckles: genesis
x-com: pc
quake 1: pc

I could go on all day about these. Old school games have way better gameplay than new games. All the new games I get bored of after not too long and look I'm still playing the oldies. :P

Anarki
07-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Fancy a game of Quake team fortress one day?

Man I love bein the techy, Building sentry guns :woot:

craig588
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Shadow Run, Tyrian, the various Kirbys, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, Commander Keen, Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit, Gazillionair, R-Type, Gradius, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Bubble Bobble, Kickel Cubicle, Fallout 1 and 2, Deus Ex 1, Tales of Phantasia/Destiny, Star Ocean, Doki Doki Panic, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Crazy Taxi, Lolo, Tetrisphere, Earthbound, Contra, Super-C, Metroid, Neotopia, Ys, Terranigma, Monkey Island series, Sanitarium, Grim Fandango, Super Mario World.

Things have stopped popping into my head so I'll just leave the list unfinished.

ripken204
07-06-2005, 07:56 AM
any of the nintendo or sega games are sweet

sky
07-06-2005, 08:34 AM
/edit

DOH, i'm an idiot.. sometimes reading before posting would help.. this is
the console section, not the pc-games section... ooops

are metal gear solid and vagrant story on the psx consider old/retro yet? ;)

anyway, my first contact with electronic gaming was the atari 2600 playing...
well... guess.. pacman, what else - for ages and all, ridiculous looking back
from todays highpowered graphics.
besides that i used to do some arcade games, but the names of the games
slip me.. after all this must have been at least 20yrs ago ... played stuff like
brickoutor space invaders on one such machine at a public bath :)

nice topic btw!

kronik
07-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Fancy a game of Quake team fortress one day?

Man I love bein the techy, Building sentry guns :woot:

I would fancy that. Almost cost me my girlfriend. O_o

Jeff
07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
;) This is a very cool subject!

Here are a few of my favorites...
http://www.adventurevision.com
http://www.adventurevision.com/vidiotsarcade/

I used to have 40 video games and 2 pinballs but I've settled down to 10 videos and the 2 pins. I'm also very much into the Vectrex and of course the Atari systems(the 7800 is probably my favorite since it's 2600 compatible).

My post is probably a little too retro since it dates from ~1984 on back... but maybe you'll think some of those are cool. ;)

Anarki
07-06-2005, 12:21 PM
;) This is a very cool subject!

Here are a few of my favorites...
http://www.adventurevision.com
http://www.adventurevision.com/vidiotsarcade/

I used to have 40 video games and 2 pinballs but I've settled down to 10 videos and the 2 pins. I'm also very much into the Vectrex and of course the Atari systems(the 7800 is probably my favorite since it's 2600 compatible).

My post is probably a little too retro since it dates from ~1984 on back... but maybe you'll think some of those are cool. ;)

I remember the atari 2600, just! I own an Atari Jaguar :cool: I also used to have a dragon 64 and a ZX81 Spectrum :cool:

My friend has loads of old consoles, and he's got some rare games as well.

evetS-
07-06-2005, 10:52 PM
omg bubble bobble owns.....

deltarealm
07-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Donkey Kong, Gyruss, Final Fight, Ghost 'n Goblins, Street Fighter II, the list never ends.

buffarilla
07-27-2005, 05:33 PM
gauntlet and castlevania had me hooked forever

jhzero
07-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I am not sure when it came out, but Tie Fighter for the PC was a classic. Another favorite of mine was Zombies Ate My Neighbors for Genesis. Hard to beat running around with a squirt gun, defending my neighborhood from zombies.

Zero

Jamo
07-30-2005, 05:00 AM
streets of rage anyone? how about golden axe, road rash? i saw a mega drive at a local car boot about 2 month back and bought it, just cos it was £5 with about 20 games, most of which were my old faves :) 16bit goodness lol

[XC] leviathan18
07-30-2005, 06:08 AM
ninja gaiden, zelda a link to the past, mario bros 3, super contra, final fantasy 7, final fantasy tactics, tetris, street fighter, mortal kombat 3, duke nukem 3d, wolfestain 3d, sim city 2000, mario kart, star fox

Der_KHAN
07-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Wing Commander: Privateer period!

turtle
07-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, they just don't make games like they used to.

My short list:

nes:
zelda 1 + 2 (one most importantly...nothing hold it's value like that)
Kid Icarus (The "banshees" and eggplant dudes still haunt my memory)
River City Ransom (Hours of mindless fun)
Dr. Mario (wholesome family fun)
Bubble Bobble (damn egghead/sword guy-things)
Crystalis (If you remember this game, and enjoyed it...You rock)
Mike Tyson's Punchout (not the "fake" one. ;) )

Genesis:
Sonic 1-3
Altered Beast
MK2
NBA JAM

SNES:
Super Mario World
Zelda
Super Metriod
Mario Kart
Megaman X's (megaman was the shizzle until someone destroyed the story)
Secret of Mana

N64:
Goldeneye 007 (You know it)
Mario Kart 64 (hold jump, turn, left-right-left-right-left-right...)
Mario64
Zelda OoT

PSX:
Final Fantasy VII (Perhaps arguabley to some, but to me the best videogame ever. If that didn't tug the heartstrings...you're a rock.)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (great 2d fun, wish they still made games like this on modern systems)
Resident Evil 1-3 (Yeah yeah, i'm a sucker for RE)
Fear Effect 1+2

Old Skool PC:
Wolfenstein 3D
doom 1/2
Duke 3d
Blood
C&C: Red Alert
Rainbow Six and Rainbow Six 2: Rogue Spear

Jamo
07-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Final Fantasy VII (Perhaps arguabley to some, but to me the best videogame ever. If that didn't tug the heartstrings...you're a rock.)

agreed, one of the best games ever made, i must have clocked up 200+ hours on that

[XC] leviathan18
07-31-2005, 05:35 PM
i cried playing FFVII but i think ocarina of time is pretty close to FFVII maybe they are even i dont know my heart loves both for equal

Der_KHAN
08-01-2005, 03:33 AM
this might be of interest for u guys:

Rumours of Final Fantasy VII remake intensify (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25044)

Jamo
08-01-2005, 03:39 AM
wow, hope thats true, certainly would make my buy a PS3 in a heartbeat - i heard rumours of a film but not another game

[XC] leviathan18
08-01-2005, 09:09 AM
there is going to be 3 new thing of FFVII for sure

a new game totally diferent based on FVII (but diferent game play) probably for PSP maybe ps2
a CG movie called FFVII advent children probably por PSP
AND a remake of FFVII with new graphics

crodan85
08-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Acendency and Redneck Rampage some of my fav games ever :)

illmatik
08-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Man as soon as LN is back up in its new home, I'll drop a link to a big collection of classics which have sort of fallen into a sort of pseudo-public domain as a result of some loophole in copyright law for corporations that have been extinct for a certain number of years (dunno if this is in the US or other countries) who produced products for antiquated platforms/devices (IE MS-DOS, C64/128/Amiga, Apple IIGS, etc)

Anyone remember Keef The Thief, Deathtrack, ZanyGolf, Awesome, Thexder, Tongue of the Fatman, or Centurion: Defender of Rome??

Lithan
08-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I played ff7 until the fight at the top of the treehouse. The game crapped out on me there. I could have replaced it but didn't for two reasons. Blurry, foggy, graphics made the game almost unplayable and the absolutely terrible FF combat system finished it. I've played games that weren't good because the story was entertaining before (diablo 2), but never games that were that terrible. At that point I'll just read a walkthrough to find out what happens.

Super mario cart, castlevania 2, contra, Madden 92, super mario bros 1

Mr. Tinker
08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
I yearn, YEARN for the glory days of Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games. That's what the computer was all about and no console could match those computer games because the interface (controller instead of keyboard) was too limiting. I've said it many times but I'll say it again:

The next game publisher who releases a good plot-driven adventure game (to the tune of Gabriel Knight or Monkey Island) in a cinematic fashion will rake in the bucks. I predict that change will also seriously challenge the movie industry.

MARK
MY
motherf*cking
WORDS, b*tches.

P.S. Alan Wake looks like it might move that direciton in a small way.

craig588
08-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Grim Fandango should be released for a console. It plays as if it was designed for one and consoles need a game in that style.