PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the AC?

Cerberus2k7
07-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Hey guys, the AC in my car isnt running as well and I was wondering what I could do to make it push out colder air? It's a 93 Honda Accord and it's in pretty good shape overall but the rad needs to be replaced. I have no idea on AC systems so I really don't know where to start. :stick:

Thanks. :D

Gray Mole
07-03-2005, 07:59 AM
When you say 'isn't running well' does that mean not working at all or just not as cold as it should be?

A car's AC system should be 10-15c below the ambient temp at least, unless it's got a restricted system that limits it to 10c below ambient (I've heard that was being used in the US on some models but I'm not sure)

Put the AC on and measure the temp out of the dash, close all the vents except the one you're measuring AND put the recirc on the airflow AND rev the engine to approx. 2500rpm.

If you can't get at least 10c below ambient, but you ARE below ambient, then it's likely it just need a topup, if it's not cooling the air at all, but you CAN hear the compressor kicking in, it's more likely you have a leak and should have it gassed, with AC dye and leak tested, though if you're going to have it gassed, you may as well have 'em dye test it anyway.

If you don't know AC, you shouldn't really get into it, I know there's kit's you can charge it yourself with, but without guages and experience, you could damage it.

Gray

Cerberus2k7
07-03-2005, 05:11 PM
The air is cool, but not as cold. But i'm also compairing it to my parents 04 XL7. How much would it cost to have a topup?

trance565
07-05-2005, 10:00 PM
ummmm is it on circulate? or is it taking in air from the outside? cuz if u circulate it will get alot colder, also, u may be due for a freeon check and all that what not

rhino56
07-06-2005, 12:41 AM
may need a recharge, but see if its cooler when its on the highway, if it is then you can add a 12v fan to the condensor to help remove heat from the system.
also check the lines in the engine bay and insulate the cold lines that have no insulation with some good neoprene. every little bit helps.

Rukee
07-06-2005, 04:34 AM
check to be sure the condensor is not blocked with leaves, cardboard or debris, I just fixxed one too that worked but not very good and the orfice was clogged completely with some sort of rubber, once the screen was cleaned and the system recharged it worked great. Found that when we noticed the line was warm on one side of the orfice and cold on the other, also the low side pressure was not responding much at all to the compressor turning on.

fareastgq
07-25-2005, 11:22 PM
most cars when the ac doesn't work they just need the refrigerant charged again, doing this yourself = easy, determining whether your car needs the charge AND condenser oil = a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:. Moral of the story, if it is just a charge, have a shop do it, it'll save you alot of headache because they will (or at least should, heh) check everything that's needed to be checked for u. Try to charge your own ac without adding any condenser oil and or not adding enough/too much = broken ac = u caused yourself an even bigger problem. U literally need a graduated cylinder to add the stuff to your system.

Evil XP2400
07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah, dude. Take it to a shop and just have them do a recharge for you. It usually runs around $40 - $60 bucks.

g-a-m-e
08-27-2005, 09:38 AM
whoa thats cheap, where i live garages AND mechanics without a "stek" certificate arent officially allowed to even touch AC systems, a maintenance for the ac (vacuming, and filling it again with cooling substance and uv-leak detecting fluid stuff) costs about 130 euro's..And it should be done every 2 years.....

Gray mole says it right i guess, and AC's are not maintenance free...I really wouldnt try filling it up yourself...The amount of liquid refrigirant you have to put in goes by tenth's of a gram...Plus you have to vacuum the whole system even before you can put it in , and if it goes wrong, u will have some nasty cold-burns on your hands or whatever..... Its not possible to do it yourself properly i think...(explain these "kits" to me, ive never heard of them here)

Iff u have a leak and you have little coolant left, don't turn on the AC anymore, because u will indeed destroy your pump like fareastgg said, because of lack of lubing (over time)...which will cost about 1000 dollars or so...These pumps are banana's expensive

Iff u want your AC to work, bring it to the shop (tell them to hold off the repairs untill you know how much it will cost to repair any damage obviously)