PDA

View Full Version : Classic VapoChill temperature question.

Jeff
12-21-2002, 11:17 AM
I'm just trying out the VapoChill unit I bought from CC and so far I have to say I like it. ;)

I realize the classic is not as powerful as the Prometeia or even the VapoChill SE or PE but I'm just a little curious as to whether or not my temperatures seem reasonable.

The evaporator is steady at -11c but my processor after 15 minutes of Folding is 33c. (processor is an XP2400+ running at 2.41GHz@1.92v)

Does this sound about right? I've re-mounted the evaporator a couple times to make sure it's getting good contact with the core so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Soo, does this sound about right or is that too high a CPU temperature for an -11c evaporator?

Now after 1/2 hour of Folding the temperature is up to 39 CPU, -10c evaporator.

TIA,
Jeff (phase-change cooling newb)

Jeff
12-21-2002, 05:58 PM
Welp, I'm going to move the classic VapoChill to one of my Folders for folding duty only. It seems my Swiftec Air-TEC is a much better cooler than this cooling system. I'm not saying the classic Vapo sucks, I just don't think it has what it takes to cool the current processors at o/c speeds. Then again, I had my first experience chipping a core with the evaporator so maybe it does suck? :confused:

Oh well... still a pretty good deal for $100. ;)

Jeff
12-21-2002, 08:40 PM
Boy... this thing is moving down on my list. I just fried a XP1700 Tbred trying to get it running in the Vapo. Uh... is there any way NOT to chip your CPU when installing it with one of these things?

Damn... :(

MrIcee
12-22-2002, 01:07 AM
Yep...that is one of the downfalls with that evaporator mounting method that can be detrimental to those of us who are AMD enthusiasts.

Randi:D

mike.elmes
12-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Jeff....the temps are actually right about where they should be for the Vapo Classic....I have 2 of them.;)

Yes there are some shims that protect the core...I forget where I got them. You could ask Bulldog at the Vapo forum where to get....many overclocking places carry a copper shim that cuts down on chip death.

They didn't get the Vapokill nickname for nothing.;)

Practice makes perfect with attatching the cooling head. I have chipped many...4 at least, but never killed one...

Now you have a practice cpu. I would get a shim before trying any more cpu's though.:)

Jeff
12-22-2002, 01:44 PM
So those temperatures are about right? That's good to know then. At least I know the system is functioning normally(which is indicated by the sacrifice of the Tbred). ;)

Thanks for the info. :toast:

mike.elmes
12-22-2002, 01:54 PM
Jeff,

Here's a pic of my new xp2700 with the shim on it.

mike.elmes
12-22-2002, 01:59 PM
a better pic: